Original post by Cereidee
AQA, I did education and family.

Same, how did you find the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any Durham hopefuls here?
Reply 2702
Original post by LPauling
Any Durham hopefuls here?

No, but I do remember having the pulled pork at University College on an open day. It was sublime.
I know we don't receive our grades until the 18th but is there still the possibility of being accepted/rejected from our firm and insurance choice through UCAS before the 18th? Or is only after we receive our results? I'm a bit confused as I've heard mixed things. Best of luck to everyone!!
Original post by thevamps99xo
Same, how did you find the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was more prepared for education - my teacher for family was shite. But in the family paper i almost started to cry with happiness, the only thing i really understood was the Marxist perspective, and when i saw the 20 marker I was in shock. Bruh, all the questions was in my favour, i don't think i could have asked for a better paper,(for both topics)

How did you find it?
Are you going to take it for A2 as well? I am.
Reply 2705
Original post by yoli1998
I know we don't receive our grades until the 18th but is there still the possibility of being accepted/rejected from our firm and insurance choice through UCAS before the 18th? Or is only after we receive our results? I'm a bit confused as I've heard mixed things. Best of luck to everyone!!

Through UCAS no.
They might accidently send you a welcome e-mail a few days early but that risks them loosing the right to access the results early so is unlikely.

I'm pretty sure things only update on track at 8:00am on the 18th.

however, i know a girl who got an email the other day from ucas saying that her offer was changed to unconditional.
Do clearing places still have requirements or are they based on available spaces ????

Wouldn't seem like a good idea if a prestigious Uni was in clearing and still had high requirements for those that missed out on their offers (firm/insurance) ?????
Reply 2708
Original post by Altun63
Do clearing places still have requirements or are they based on available spaces ????

Wouldn't seem like a good idea if a prestigious Uni was in clearing and still had high requirements for those that missed out on their offers (firm/insurance) ?????

Yeah they still have requirements... It can be 1/2 grades lower but why wouldn't it be a good idea?
I was more prepared for education - my teacher for family was shite. But in the family paper i almost started to cry with happiness, the only thing i really understood was the Marxist perspective, and when i saw the 20 marker I was in shock. Bruh, all the questions was in my favour, i don't think i could have asked for a better paper,(for both topics)

How did you find it?
Are you going to take it for A2 as well? I am.

Yeah I was more prepared for education aswell! The 20 marker on that paper was really good, it was on an area which I understood really well! In terms of families, the Marxist 20 marker was amazing. I thought I'd be screwed, but everything made sense and I was able to answer properly. Research methods was a bit hard, but it could have been worse!! I am taking it to A2, and I'm looking forward to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universities have to sign an embargo not to reveal information based on results before 6am on the 18th.

It's possible they might break that embargo by accident but it isn't common.

Even if they do the only information you would get would be that you're accepted/rejected - nothing about your actual grades
I'm pretty sure things only update on track at 8:00am on the 18th.

however, i know a girl who got an email the other day from ucas saying that her offer was changed to unconditional.

That's pretty sneaky. A university making an applicant UF now could be doing it to prevent the applicant using adjustment. - that's the main motivation of universities making unconditional offers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's probably worth mentioning that a lot of universities send out "good luck with your results" emails or postcards the weekend before A level results. These mailings come from the MARKETING team and aren't filtered based on your actual results. A lot of people get the postcard and then get rejected, some get the postcards then miss their grades but get accepted and some get the postcard and do exceptionally well. EVERY applicant with a place will be sent that mailing.

UCAS also like to scare the **** out of applicants every year with a mailing the weekend before results all about how clearing works. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE IN CLEARING - UCAS are just trying to sell you endsleigh insurance and similar crap because they get a shitload of cash for sending out this bumf.
Original post by Vannzzoo
Anyone waiting on Edexcel C4, C3, D1 results, Bio F214 and F215 results and Chem F324 and F325 results. I don't know what to expect but I'm somewhat excited.

I'm waiting on them all minus C4 and C3

How did you think they went??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
Piriton is over the counter from a pharmacist.

Aha, I know.

Original post by PQ

Natrasleep and 5HTP are both available from supermarkets/health food shops

Mm.. but just bc they're available doesn't really mean that it's a good suggestion. Sleeping tablets/supplements can be addictive + tbh, you shouldn't really take them unless prescribed. I mean, if you're relying on them at this age, regardless of whether it's to do with stress/anxiety/whatever then it could affect you later.

An alternative would simply be to adopt a smarter lifestyle especially bc from what I've read it only seems to be caused by results day so it'd be a bit silly to go down that route. Don't really think antihistamine tablets are any better tbf bc it'd at best only work for a few nights. Not to mention that when you awaken you'll most probably feel incredibly bleurgh/groggy. I'm sure if 'Sacred Ground' didn't use any of his technology stuffz past, like, idk 7pm the he'd be .. less likely to stay up until ridiculous hours.
My worst experience with sleeping pills (prescription, mind you) were when the effects didn't wear off for my exam the next morning. Doing that exam groggy was terrible. :colonhash:
Original post by Anon_98
Aha, I know.

Mm.. but just bc they're available doesn't really mean that it's a good suggestion. Sleeping tablets/supplements can be addictive + tbh, you shouldn't really take them unless prescribed. I mean, if you're relying on them at this age, regardless of whether it's to do with stress/anxiety/whatever then it could affect you later.

An alternative would simply be to adopt a smarter lifestyle especially bc from what I've read it only seems to be caused by results day so it'd be a bit silly to go down that route. Don't really think antihistamine tablets are any better tbf bc it'd at best only work for a few nights. Not to mention that when you awaken you'll most probably feel incredibly bleurgh/groggy. I'm sure if 'Sacred Ground' didn't use any of his technology stuffz past, like, idk 7pm the he'd be .. less likely to stay up until ridiculous hours.

For one off events (or to help kick you back into a sensible sleep routine) then some help isn't going to do any harm whatsoever. Everything I've suggested is less potent than even the off the shelf sleeping aids - I personally wouldn't recommend Nytol or similar because they're pretty potent. A valerian based herbal supplement, a low dose antihistamine or a supplement that helps stimulate natural serotonin production are all the sorts of things that can help with short term insomnia. Most of their efficacy is placebo effect (but that doesn't stop it working).

I'd much rather applicants were fast asleep in an antihistamine snooze at 8pm the night before results than spending the night awake getting in a flap. Results day is a big day - not being rested because you've got out of the habit of sleeping well or because you just couldn't shut your brain up is a terrible idea.

Changing your lifestyle will help with sleeping no question (that's why I use radio recordings or books on tape) but it doesn't always help quickly - and not when you're already stressed and anxious. Something to kick start a better sleep cycle (or just enough to make sure you're well rested for one particular day) isn't a bad idea.
Are you AS or A2? A2
What subjects are you taking? Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
To which university are you hoping to go? Cambridge
To study which subject? Medicine
If applicable, what were your AS grades? 4 As
What grades are required for your desired degree? A*A*A
What grades are you predicted? A*A*A*
How did your exams go? C3 was alright, C4 was very good, not sure if it will average to over 90 UMS for the A* >,< Biology was suspiciously easy so I feel it may not have actually gone that well. Maybe I didn't think about the questions hard enough.. Chemistry was really good!
How are you feeling about results day? Scared that I'm feeling optimistic since I don't want to be disappointed.
Original post by usycool1
My worst experience with sleeping pills (prescription, mind you) were when the effects didn't wear off for my exam the next morning. Doing that exam groggy was terrible. :colonhash:

Yeah - proper sleeping pills are risky - even Nytol and similar off the shelf stuff isn't great IME.

If I know I have a big day (and I'm getting antsy about it - usually when I'm travelling somewhere and know I have to get up super early and be on my A game) I'll take a piriton, turn off the wifi and the telly, go to bed and put a book on tape on at 6/7pm....I'd much rather be asleep early and up early than risk feeling drowzy the next day.
Original post by PQ
For one off events (or to help kick you back into a sensible sleep routine) then some help isn't going to do any harm whatsoever.

Yes, but that's all it takes. :iiam:

FOR YOU TO VISIT THEM ONCE.

Then you can never return home. :ms:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.
Original post by Medic_12345
Are you AS or A2? A2
What subjects are you taking? Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
To which university are you hoping to go? Cambridge
To study which subject? Medicine
If applicable, what were your AS grades? 4 As
What grades are required for your desired degree? A*A*A
What grades are you predicted? A*A*A*
How did your exams go? C3 was alright, C4 was very good, not sure if it will average to over 90 UMS for the A* >,< Biology was suspiciously easy so I feel it may not have actually gone that well. Mayqbe I didn't think about the questions hard enough.. Chemistry was really good!
How are you feeling about results day? Scared that I'm feeling optimistic since I don't want to be disappointed.

Which college is your offer from ?
Wow it's creeping closer and closer. A2 Maths students, do you think you did well in the other maths modules (AQA) to compensate for the atrocious C3 exam that your were given ?:s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply