The Student Room Group

Worried I might have Bipolar...

Basically, I have aspergers, dyspraxia, CFS and a few other health problems am 22 years old and female. I have anxiety and depression too. At the moment I have a job working up to 30 hours a week... my family has a history of mental health problems, but I am feeling right now that my moods are more all over the place than usual, some days completely without warning my mood can go from really happy to feeling like ending it all :frown: to having loads of confidence to questioning ever decision I ever made... normally my anxiety meds help, but i feel like everything has gotten on top of me, and the progress I made socially has gone effectively out the window.. i hate talking to my gp.. and medical people in general.. as always feel like I am wasting their time.. but not sure how to approach the issue with them?
Bipolar disorder is not when you are happy and then sad in the space of a few hours. Those are mood swings, probably caused by your depression and anxiety.
Bioplar disorder is extreme excitement and agigation and incoherent thinking for a longer period, at least 6 months, followed by a period of extreme depression for a similar time period.
It's usually accompanied by psychosis.

You don't have bipolar disorder, but I hope you get the help you need with your anxiety and depression.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Bipolar disorder is not when you are happy and then sad in the space of a few hours. Those are mood swings, probably caused by your depression and anxiety.
Bioplar disorder is extreme excitement and agigation and incoherent thinking for a longer period, at least 6 months, followed by a period of extreme depression for a similar time period.
It's usually accompanied by psychosis.

You don't have bipolar disorder, but I hope you get the help you need with your anxiety and depression.

Nah, that's not true at all. I mean the 'at least 6 months' bit. It doesn't need to be that long for them to label you bipolar. Speaking from experience as I was MISdiagnosed with it in the past. And anyway from what I was told there's also a rapid cycling type of bipolar, so the info you've provided is incorrect. Not saying the OP is bipolar though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
Nah, that's not true at all. I mean the 'at least 6 months' bit. It doesn't need to be that long for them to label you bipolar. Speaking from experience as I was MISdiagnosed with it in the past. And anyway from what I was told there's also a rapid cycling type of bipolar, so the info you've provided is incorrect. Not saying the OP is bipolar though.

Rapid cycling BP disorder occurs over a period of at least 4 or so days for each episode. Not hours as OP has stated. The six months for bipolar disorder is certainly true, and whilst a Dr might make a BP diagnosis for a slightly shorter period, the point still stands that it's over several months (ie longer term) and not hours, and thus, OP is definitely not BP. However, if they have concerns they should talk to a medical professional.
Reply 4
Basically, I have aspergers, dyspraxia, CFS and a few other health problems am 22 years old and female. I have anxiety and depression too. At the moment I have a job working up to 30 hours a week... my family has a history of mental health problems, but I am feeling right now that my moods are more all over the place than usual, some days completely without warning my mood can go from really happy to feeling like ending it all :frown: to having loads of confidence to questioning ever decision I ever made... normally my anxiety meds help, but i feel like everything has gotten on top of me, and the progress I made socially has gone effectively out the window.. i hate talking to my gp.. and medical people in general.. as always feel like I am wasting their time.. but not sure how to approach the issue with them?
AS and anxiety/depression can mimic bipolar disorder, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Just try and keep going, go into your own bubble when you need to, and do what you can to remain lucid. You'll be alright :hugs:
If you're worried, speak to your GP. As Tootles mentioned, there is overlap.
Reply 6
Rapid cycling BP disorder occurs over a period of at least 4 or so days for each episode. Not hours as OP has stated. The six months for bipolar disorder is certainly true, and whilst a Dr might make a BP diagnosis for a slightly shorter period, the point still stands that it's over several months (ie longer term) and not hours, and thus, OP is definitely not BP. However, if they have concerns they should talk to a medical professional.

I wasn't referring to the OP when I mentioned the rapid cycling. I was simply demonstrating how wrong your 6 months mark point is.
Reply 7
X

I think trying to give a diagnosis over a screen has the potential to be quite dangerous - especially when none of us are trained medical professionals.

X

OP. Tootles and Tiger Rag have given the best advice - seeing your GP is a good idea. You wouldn't be wasting their time - you have just as much right to an appointment as anyone else and if they're a really good GP, they'll reassure you about this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Deyesy
I think trying to give a diagnosis over a screen has the potential to be quite dangerous - especially when none of us are trained medical professionals. *

OP. Tootles and Tiger Rag have given the best advice - seeing your GP is a good idea. You wouldn't be wasting their time - you have just as much right to an appointment as anyone else and if they're a really good GP, they'll reassure you about this.

Eh? Are you referring to me or Anon 2? Because I wasn't diagnosing anyone. I simply stated that the info he provided was incorrect because there are different types of bipolar.

6 months is not stated anywhere in the DSM or ICD. Last time I checked, in the DSM it says a hypo manic period must be 4 days long, mania is 7 days and depression is 2 weeks. Hypo manic and manic periods may be shorter with treatment.

Rapid cycling is defined in the DSM (again last time I checked) by at least 4 episodes a year. There are types of cycling called ultra rapid cycling and ultradian cycling which can be changes within a day. Although these are very rarely used (in the uk anyway).

I would be careful to say that op is definitely not bipolar. I agree that it is unlikely, however only a doctor with all the facts can make a psychiatric diagnosis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Ciel.
Eh? Are you referring to me or Anon 2? Because I wasn't diagnosing anyone. I simply stated that the info he provided was incorrect because there are different types of bipolar.

Apologies! :redface: Editted my post :smile:
Late reply but this can often happen with CFS. I think technically it's called boom and bust, I call it the 'hyper-dead' cycle though which gives an indication of how extreme they can be. It's generally one of my early warning signs to slow down or I'll relapse, it varies person to person though, and can be anything up to a few times an hour which is absolutely exhausting. The general trick for helping them is trying to not overdo it in the good parts though and try and keep everything as even as possible- if you're getting any treatment for CFS they'll have talked about pacing with you.

From a mood point of view, I don't know about anyone else but mine doesn't always follow with the energy. If I'm hyper I can end up really unsafe as have motivation to do stuff, at the same time it can be amazing. If I'm dead my mood can sort of be okay, or not at all. It just depends. Talk through with your GP anyway, but it seems to me like CFS and the combination of depression/aspergers other people have said above might explain it for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest