The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limecake
Thank you so much for your reply. Have you personally ever seen someone with pending results get fished from the summer pool? If a college sends someone to the pool and they arent taken, does the original college have the choice of fishing them back? Also if my IELTS results are very good, do you think I could be given a deferred place? Lastly, will I be told of the university's decision on the 19th or when I get my results (i.e 26th)?

Hello, it's not something I recall happening in my own experience but we don't fish much in the Summer Pool. Yes, if someone isn't taken from the Summer Pool then you can still be taken by your original college though, again, this doesn't happen much.

Unless they decide to waive the IELTS condition, your offer won't be confirmed until you get that result.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Glad to have been of help. We do look slightly differently at PUMS, as we know that there is a smaller distribution of students at the very top end compared with UMS. I am not aware of any official conversion factor, in my experience it's merely something that has been raised as worthy of consideration.

Thanks for the response. I realise that PUMS isn't everything and is just one part of the whole application, but still can't help being a little concerned about it. What do you mean by results "at the very top"? For instance, if a person receives 95% in PUMS, would that be seen as being above 95% in UMS? I'm sorry about these questions :frown: Every year it seems you are swamped with a series of similar questions about UMS and this year I'm the one asking the same questions...
Original post by sleepylemonlemon
Thanks for the response. I realise that PUMS isn't everything and is just one part of the whole application, but still can't help being a little concerned about it. What do you mean by results "at the very top"? For instance, if a person receives 95% in PUMS, would that be seen as being above 95% in UMS? I'm sorry about these questions :frown: Every year it seems you are swamped with a series of similar questions about UMS and this year I'm the one asking the same questions...

Fewer students get between 95 and 100 PUMS than 95-100 UMS, so a score in the mid to high 90s PUMS will place them above more of their cohorts than a similar score in UMS.

Try not to worry too much about it, strong performance will be well regarded and you can only influence your own application not how it will be seen compared with others.
If you were asked to take an English language proficiency test, it would be IELTS. We don't normally accept TOEFL.

Alright, guess I'll just have to wait and see if I get an offer that includes the IELTS. Regarding the NSAA necessary for natural sciences, could you recommend some resources that one could use to practice/prepare for the assessment? I've already found the specimen paper on the natural sciences tripos page, but I'm at a bit of a loss in regards to other resources I could use to prepare myself.
Fewer students get between 95 and 100 PUMS than 95-100 UMS, so a score in the mid to high 90s PUMS will place them above more of their cohorts than a similar score in UMS.

Try not to worry too much about it, strong performance will be well regarded and you can only influence your own application not how it will be seen compared with others.

Sorry if this is silly, but PUMS stands for "Percentage Uniform Marks" right? So how does 95-100 UMS differ from 95-100 PUMS? It sounds like you are talking about percentages in both.
Reply 85
Original post by TiernanW
Sorry if this is silly, but PUMS stands for "Percentage Uniform Marks" right? So how does 95-100 UMS differ from 95-100 PUMS? It sounds like you are talking about percentages in both.

It's the same idea but it's for the overall subject not the individual units/modules. It's a CIE (Cambridge International Exam board) thing.
Original post by Hjortlund
Alright, guess I'll just have to wait and see if I get an offer that includes the IELTS. Regarding the NSAA necessary for natural sciences, could you recommend some resources that one could use to practice/prepare for the assessment? I've already found the specimen paper on the natural sciences tripos page, but I'm at a bit of a loss in regards to other resources I could use to prepare myself.

There aren't any other specific resources to help with the Assessments other than what is on the website in terms of specimen papers and the content specification. These assessments are very new at present so there isn't much more yet.

There are other helpful things that one can look at in preparation for your application - the Isaac Physics website, for instance, has lots of helpful things for people wanting to do Physics.

Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) don't provide UMS but PUMS which give a percentage for all the modules taken and they don't give individual module UMS in the way that other exams boards too.

When I say 95% UMS, what I mean is 190 UMS out of 200 in most Arts subjects and 285 out of 300 UMS in Maths/Science subjects.
Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) don't provide UMS but PUMS which give a percentage for all the modules taken and they don't give individual module UMS in the way that other exams boards too.

When I say 95% UMS, what I mean is 190 UMS out of 200 in most Arts subjects and 285 out of 300 UMS in Maths/Science subjects.

Ah yes okay, I see, but what is it that makes fewer people get 95%-100% PUMS as opposed to the same score in UMS? I thought that exam boards basically had to make sure than a certain amount of people got A, B, C, D, etc...
Hello! I went into year 12 hoping to work hard and come out with 4A grades at AS, a goal which wasn't wholly unattainable for me at the beginning of the year. However things haven't gone to plan. I think I can pull the standard offer grades out of the bag for A2 but I'm looking at ABC/BCD this year (having only taken the exams for 3 of my 4 subjects). Can predicted grades save my dream or is it too improbable to consider 2017 entry?
Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a British citizen lived in UK for 14 years ,but for the last 2.5 years I am living abroad. My parents are still working in UK and also have an owned residence property there. I have done IGCSE board and currently doing CIE A levels. I would like to apply for English in Cambridge for my undergraduate course. I have a few questions.

-Will I be considered as a domestic student?
-I have taken English Language and English Literature papers for IGCSE which I have got A* s for. So hope I don't have to take any test like IELTS.
-While applying through UCAM how can I convert grades in CIE AS/A levels to UMS score?

Hoping to get your valuable opinion on this.
Ah yes okay, I see, but what is it that makes fewer people get 95%-100% PUMS as opposed to the same score in UMS? I thought that exam boards basically had to make sure than a certain amount of people got A, B, C, D, etc...

Obviously I am not 100% certain on this, but personally I got 244/250 in my A-Level maths exam as my raw mark, with grade boundary of A* set at 225/250, but my raw mark got adjusted and the PUM I got was 95%. Top in country was 97%. I don't understand why CIE does this, but it's common to have top in country/top in world awards without getting 100%. I'm sure Christ's AT can give a more useful explanation.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm afraid you'd have to ask CIE that. They aren't bound by the same conventions as domestic A Level providers. Sorry not to be ore helpful.
Original post by hillarykeyamo99
Hello! I went into year 12 hoping to work hard and come out with 4A grades at AS, a goal which wasn't wholly unattainable for me at the beginning of the year. However things haven't gone to plan. I think I can pull the standard offer grades out of the bag for A2 but I'm looking at ABC/BCD this year (having only taken the exams for 3 of my 4 subjects). Can predicted grades save my dream or is it too improbable to consider 2017 entry?
Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello and thanks for your question. I think that with ABC/BCD at AS Level then you are not likely to get an interview this year. Your best bet, if you wished to come to Cambridge, would be to meet or exceed our A Level offer and apply post qualification.
Original post by krvsnicket
I am a British citizen lived in UK for 14 years ,but for the last 2.5 years I am living abroad. My parents are still working in UK and also have an owned residence property there. I have done IGCSE board and currently doing CIE A levels. I would like to apply for English in Cambridge for my undergraduate course. I have a few questions.

-Will I be considered as a domestic student?
-I have taken English Language and English Literature papers for IGCSE which I have got A* s for. So hope I don't have to take any test like IELTS.
-While applying through UCAM how can I convert grades in CIE AS/A levels to UMS score?

Hoping to get your valuable opinion on this.

Hello and thank you for your questions. First of all, i think it's unlikely that, as a UK citizen, you'd ever be asked for IELTS. Second, you can't convert grades into UMS. CIE give PUMS in some countries (but not others) and if you are in a country where they don;t provide PUMS then you just have the grade which you can send.

Regarding the question of whether you'd be considered a domestic or overseas student for fees, that's tricky to answer without more detail. I assume you are currently living outside the EU? If you are living abroad for education while your parents are working overseas and your main address remains in the UK then you would still be a UK student for fees. If not and your main address is abroad, then you wouldn't qualify for home fee status and you'd have to pay overseas fees.
Hello and thank you for your questions. First of all, i think it's unlikely that, as a UK citizen, you'd ever be asked for IELTS. Second, you can't convert grades into UMS. CIE give PUMS in some countries (but not others) and if you are in a country where they don;t provide PUMS then you just have the grade which you can send.

Regarding the question of whether you'd be considered a domestic or overseas student for fees, that's tricky to answer without more detail. I assume you are currently living outside the EU? If you are living abroad for education while your parents are working overseas and your main address remains in the UK then you would still be a UK student for fees. If not and your main address is abroad, then you wouldn't qualify for home fee status and you'd have to pay overseas fees.

Sorry for gatecrashing! The UKCISA website is the oracle for fee status questions and is used by admissions teams.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Sorry for gatecrashing! The UKCISA website is the oracle for fee status questions and is used by admissions teams.

Always welcome! :smile: Indeed it is the right place to go as Jan, my admissions co-ordinator, told me!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm afraid you'd have to ask CIE that. They aren't bound by the same conventions as domestic A Level providers. Sorry not to be ore helpful.

That's okay. :smile:

Previously you mentioned that Software Systems Development would be unlikely to form part of my offer. I don't want to take 5 subjects next year, so either Biology or SSD will be dropped. Honestly I enjoy SSD more than Biology and have probably done better in it. Would my application be less strong if I had Maths, Further Maths, Physics and SSD, as opposed to Maths, FM, Physics and Biology for A2? (for CompSci application)
That's okay. :smile:

Previously you mentioned that Software Systems Development would be unlikely to form part of my offer. I don't want to take 5 subjects next year, so either Biology or SSD will be dropped. Honestly I enjoy SSD more than Biology and have probably done better in it. Would my application be less strong if I had Maths, Further Maths, Physics and SSD, as opposed to Maths, FM, Physics and Biology for A2? (for CompSci application)

Thanks for the question. No, I don't think that the application would be weaker if you dropped Biology and would suggest that SSD is probably of more use for a Comp Sci degree, it is just unlikely to form part of the A*A*A offer. I doubt that Biology would either. What matters in your context is the results in Maths, FM and Physics.
Hi.
I'm a scottish applicant and just received my results in the post.
I want to apply for mathematics or computer science
I received 3 A band 1's and 3 A band 2's
2 of my A band 1's were in mathematics and computing science.
Are these decent enough grades to be given an interview provided my personal statement and reference is sufficient?

Latest

Trending

Trending