The Student Room Group

Does linear A-levels make AS levels pointless?

I'm doing 2 linear and 2 modular AS's next year, would it be better to focus on the modular as the linear ASs don't actually contribute towards the final A level? or will universities now take both AS and A levels? I know ASs are important for predicted grades but going linear just makes me feel like theres no need to make lots of effort in the first year if A2s are the ones universities look at.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, i have just done this myself as I have just done my AS exams and my school made it compulsory for us to do the exams regardless of if it was linear or not. Only one of my subjects were modular (this being ICT), my others were linear. After thinking the same as you about it being pointless, I did the exams and only then will you realise how different the new specification is compared to the old one. There are of course specimen papers for the specification. When i did the modular exams (ones that have units i.e. unit 1 & 2) I would get an A easy. When I did the specimen papers i still got the highest mark in my year (Biology), however there were no grade boundaries so you didn't really know what grade you would've gotten or how close you would've been to the next grade, you could just use a percentage with isn't actually how grades go, people will tell you 40% is and E, 50% is a D, etc, look at grade boundaries and you'll see that this isn't true. Also, since we are the first year we can only guess what grade boundaries would be usually you could go by last year years and then +/- around 3 marks (this is usually what they would change by in most subjects per year).
Original post by Reanna11
Hi, i have just done this myself as I have just done my AS exams and my school made it compulsory for us to do the exams regardless of if it was linear or not. Only one of my subjects were modular (this being ICT), my others were linear. After thinking the same as you about it being pointless, I did the exams and only then will you realise how different the new specification is compared to the old one. There are of course specimen papers for the specification. When i did the modular exams (ones that have units i.e. unit 1 & 2) I would get an A easy. When I did the specimen papers i still got the highest mark in my year (Biology), however there were no grade boundaries so you didn't really know what grade you would've gotten or how close you would've been to the next grade, you could just use a percentage with isn't actually how grades go, people will tell you 40% is and E, 50% is a D, etc, look at grade boundaries and you'll see that this isn't true. Also, since we are the first year we can only guess what grade boundaries would be usually you could go by last year years and then +/- around 3 marks (this is usually what they would change by in most subjects per year).

this is really helpful, thanks!
Original post by jasminglynne
this is really helpful, thanks!

I am really curious about how this is helpful, it doesn't answer your question at all.
I'm doing 2 linear and 2 modular AS's next year, would it be better to focus on the modular as the linear ASs don't actually contribute towards the final A level? or will universities now take both AS and A levels? I know ASs are important for predicted grades but going linear just makes me feel like theres no need to make lots of effort in the first year if A2s are the ones universities look at.

Hi Jasmine :smile:

I did my AS Levels this yr and from doing it I would say that you should divide your time equally for the modular ones as well as the linear. This is because the content for the new specs in yr 12 will be repeated in yr 13 as well in other words you will be tested on topics from yr 12 in your yr 13 exam. Also if you do your AS then you will have an idea of what type of questions are asked, you can perfect your own exam techniques and grade boundaries etc. If you have your AS results then they do take it into account together with your predicted grades. But if you haven't done your AS then they look at your A level predicted grades, personal statement, reference, admission tests for a particular subject e.g. for Med = UKCAT and how well you did in your interviews. Just because you're doing linear doesn't mean you don't have to put in the effort. You can't get away with putting in 50% effort at AS. That is a complete no no!! The new specs are harder than the old ones and if you're doing any of the sciences, especially in bio there is more content to learn.
(edited 7 years ago)
All your subjects are extremely important. There is absolutely no point focusing on getting an A in a modular AS if you get a D in a linear one as well. How will you be able to apply to any decent universities with that?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
All your subjects are extremely important. There is absolutely no point focusing on getting an A in a modular AS if you get a D in a linear one as well. How will you be able to apply to any decent universities with that?

I did not mean i was planning on completely neglecting my linear subjects at all, just making sure I was putting enough work into the modular exams as those seem more important, I did not mean I would entirely ignore my linear subjects. i was just confused at the new exams format as it made ASs seem unimportant if they are not included in the final A level result. thanks to a helpful contributor I can see I was mistaken to think that.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I am really curious about how this is helpful, it doesn't answer your question at all.

just being polite geez
Original post by Workangel_24
Hi Jasmine :smile:

I did my AS Levels this yr and from doing it I would say that you should divide your time equally for the modular ones as well as the linear. This is because the content for the new specs in yr 12 will be repeated in yr 13 as well in other words you will be tested on topics from yr 12 in your yr 13 exam. Also if you do your AS then you will have an idea of what type of questions are asked, you can perfect your own exam techniques and grade boundaries etc. If you have your AS results then they do take it into account together with your predicted grades. But if you haven't done your AS then they look at your A level predicted grades, personal statement, reference, admission tests for a particular subject e.g. for Med = UKCAT and how well you did in your interviews. Just because you're doing linear doesn't mean you don't have to put in the effort. You can't get away with putting in 50% effort at AS. That is a complete no no!! The new specs are harder than the old ones and if you're doing any of the sciences, especially in bio there is more content to learn.

thanks :smile: this makes a lot more sense, it felt like the new ASs were just being done to be thrown away once the A2s are complete, but knowing the same spec is tested in both exams makes a lot more sense (my sixth form hadnt done a great job explaining that yet aha) thank you!!
just being polite geez

You don't have to feign politeness. You'll make people think they're being helpful when they're not, and they'll go and give the same advice to other people.

Quick Reply

Latest