The Student Room Group

Excel helpp!!!!!!!

Hi, i have some questions to ask about excel. Can you please get in touch! Ill be happy if you can help

Thanks
Original post by HiItshannah
Hi, i have some questions to ask about excel. Can you please get in touch! Ill be happy if you can help

Thanks

I used Excel in my AS Level ICT coursework last year, I might be able to remember a few things if you ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dapperblook22
I used Excel in my AS Level ICT coursework last year, I might be able to remember a few things if you ask :smile:

I dont know if you could help as its a bit difficult and its university second year questions ?
Original post by Dapperblook22

last year as in 2015? new coursework or you have done your A levels including A2?
--------------
to OP i have done some work with excel, post your problem so people can help you with it :h:
Original post by fatima1998
last year as in 2015? new coursework or you have done your A levels including A2?
--------------
to OP i have done some work with excel, post your problem so people can help you with it :h:

I finished A2s this year, so last year between Jan and June 2015 was my AS coursework.

Thanks

Oops, I should learn to read where threads are posted before first replying haha :tongue:. Knowledge may overlap, although it is unlikely as you said.
Reply 6

Thanks

You may get a better chance of a response if you post in one of the IT / computing forums.

In any case, you really should post the question you're stuck on so that people can immediately see if they're able to help or not, otherwise people are just guessing whether they have the right level of knowledge :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for your advice ! :smile: But unfortunately I cant upload the file :frown: it's basically use of Vlookups, trim,find and pivot tables etc.
Reply 8
Original post by davros
You may get a better chance of a response if you post in one of the IT / computing forums.

In any case, you really should post the question you're stuck on so that people can immediately see if they're able to help or not, otherwise people are just guessing whether they have the right level of knowledge :smile:

Thanks for your advice ! But unfortunately I cant upload the file it's basically use of Vlookups, trim,find and pivot tables etc.

Reply 9

Thanks for your advice ! But unfortunately I cant upload the file it's basically use of Vlookups, trim,find and pivot tables etc.

Difficult to give more help without knowing what you're trying to do!

Are you struggling to get started, or having problems getting a particular formula to work, or something else?

To be honest, Excel is one topic where there are literally thousands of online tutorials, support groups etc where you can find instructions, help etc.

If you have a specific question on any of the formulas / functions etc, just post it here and one of us will try to help :smile:

EDIT you can attach files to posts here! Or did you mean that you don't want to / aren't allowed to?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by davros
Difficult to give more help without knowing what you're trying to do!

Are you struggling to get started, or having problems getting a particular formula to work, or something else?

To be honest, Excel is one topic where there are literally thousands of online tutorials, support groups etc where you can find instructions, help etc.

If you have a specific question on any of the formulas / functions etc, just post it here and one of us will try to help :smile:

EDIT you can attach files to posts here! Or did you mean that you don't want to / aren't allowed to?

=IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, (FIND( {"|","_","("}, B2))- 1)) = Questions!$B$6, Questions!$C$6, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$7, Questions!$C$7, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$8, Questions!$C$8, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$9, Questions!$C$9, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$10, Questions!$C$10)))))

This is the formula ive got, cell B2 has texts and symbols such as |,_,(. questions sheet is a different sheet where i have to reference from. i need to compare the first part of the name in B2 with the references in questions sheet and if theyre equal, itll copy the cell in questions sheet (C6 in this case). but this formula doesnt work for _ and ( i get "value!" or "false"
Reply 11
=IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, (FIND( {"|","_","("}, B2))- 1)) = Questions!$B$6, Questions!$C$6, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$7, Questions!$C$7, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$8, Questions!$C$8, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$9, Questions!$C$9, IF(TRIM(LEFT(B2, FIND({"|","_","("}, B2) - 1)) = Questions!$B$10, Questions!$C$10)))))

This is the formula ive got, cell B2 has texts and symbols such as |,_,(. questions sheet is a different sheet where i have to reference from. i need to compare the first part of the name in B2 with the references in questions sheet and if theyre equal, itll copy the cell in questions sheet (C6 in this case). but this formula doesnt work for _ and ( i get "value!" or "false"

It would be a lot easier to decipher if you uploaded the actual file to your post :smile:

In the absence of the file, what I would personally do first is check that the TRIM() part of the formula is actually returning what it's supposed to. The easiest way to do this is to put that part of the formula into a free cell somewhere and see what value it's returning. Does this make sense? :smile:
Reply 12

Further update:

I've never seen FIND used like that before!

Unless this is a recent enhancement in Excel, I thought FIND could only search for a single substring within another string, not one of a number of strings within a larger string. Are you sure that syntax with the braces {} is supposed to work?

Quick Reply

Latest