The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No wonder the Middle East is ****ed. If they can't even put their hatred aside for a few days every four years, then what hope is there?

I bet they thought they were being really edgy and rebellious, but in reality they just look like dicks. They have no idea of the personal opinions of the Israeli athletes, many of them probably oppose Israel's policies.

It's an example of clear xenophobia
Whose bright idea was it to put them on the same bus lmao?
edgy
I know we should all condemn them for their actions, but putting two countries at war with each other on the same bus is a really stupid decision
Original post by TelAviv
I know we should all condemn them for their actions, but putting two countries at war with each other on the same bus is a really stupid decision

amen
@childofthesun thoughts?
The Olympics are designed to bring people together and overcome divisions between people, in pursuit of human excellence.

These pieces of human dirt don't deserve their place in an event of such prestige.

This is the beautiful story we should be sharing instead

http://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/08/07/gymnasts-from-north-and-south-korea-take-a-friendly-selfie-toget/
Reply 8
if funny because a lot of Israeli athletes are Arab Muslims & Druzes themselves so their being racist & xenophobia toward their own people
Gosh, the Rio Olympics really is a crapshop from beginning to end. Surely the organisers should know those ferals wouldn't share a bus, so shouldn't have put them together...
Original post by looloo2134
if funny because a lot of Israeli athletes are Arab Muslims & Druzes themselves so their being racist & xenophobia toward their own people

Yes I thought that, but then I considered; if the Lebanese on that bus knew that the part of the Israeli delegation that was to go on the bus with them was only Israeli Arabs, do you think they would have objected? Of course not

That tells you what this is really about
Original post by TelAviv

But they aren't at war, unless you count a general Arab intention to rid the world of the state of Israel as war.
Apparently there was a saudi judo athlete who refused to compete against an israeli athlete as well.Nothing to do with Islam and its anti-semetic views though.
Original post by AlexanderHam
Yes I thought that, but then I considered; if the Lebanese on that bus knew that the part of the Israeli delegation that was to go on the bus with them was only Israeli Arabs, do you think they would have objected? Of course not

That tells you what this is really about

Go on then, tell us what this is really about :rolleyes:
Original post by Robby2312
Apparently there was a saudi judo athlete who refused to compete against an israeli athlete as well.Nothing to do with Islam and its anti-semetic views though.

No, especially considering that in the Lebanese instance the coach who refused to let the Israelis board was a Christian, but ofc I'm not really surprised at your desperate attempt to relate this to Islam.
Original post by childofthesun
No, especially considering that in the Lebanese instance the coach who refused to let the Israelis board was a Christian, but ofc I'm not really surprised at your desperate attempt to relate this to Islam.

Its not really a desperate attempt since mohhamed once slaughtered a whole community of jews,
that would tend to suggest he wasnt particularly fond of them.Since muslims follow mohhamed as a perfect example and lebanon is a muslim majority country it was a reasonable assumption on my part.
Go on then, tell us what this is really about :rolleyes:

Why don't you tell me what you think it's about; that's what's important. It seems quite significant to you; it sounds like you have something to get off your chest.

This is a safe space; you can share with the group

My stepdad is Lebanese Christian. They hate the Muslims, they view them as having completely destroyed Lebanon and turned it from the Switzerland of the Middle East into something far less grand.

In fact, large numbers of Christians sided with the Israelis when Israel moved into Lebanon in 1982 to take care of the PLO infestation. In any case, Israel pulled all of its troops out of Lebanon in 2000. Despite this, Hamas kidnapped an Israeli soldier and precipitated a war in 2006 that was devastating for Lebanon.

My stepdad's family blames Hamas for that. They ask why would Hamas provoke a war with Israel when the Israelis had completely pulled out in 2000?
Its not really a desperate attempt since mohhamed once slaughtered a whole community of jews,that would tend to suggest he wasnt particularly fond of them.Since muslims follow mohhamed as a perfect example and lebanon is a muslim majority country it was a reasonable assumption on my part.
Valid points. Anti-semitism is certainly a major theme in Islamic history and in the life of the prophet
Its not really a desperate attempt since mohhamed once slaughtered a whole community of jews,
that would tend to suggest he wasnt particularly fond of them.Since muslims follow mohhamed as a perfect example and lebanon is a muslim majority country it was a reasonable assumption on my part.

We're not here to talk about Islam.

A reasonable(and rather obvious) assumption would be that the Lebanese team's behaviour is to do with their experiences with Israel(you know,the 2006 war), Israel's massacre of the Lebanese people ,and their continued threats against us.
Original post by AlexanderHam
My stepdad is Lebanese Christian. They hate the Muslims, they view them as having completely destroyed Lebanon and turned it from the Switzerland of the Middle East into something far less grand.

In fact, large numbers of Christians sided with the Israelis when Israel moved into Lebanon in 1982 to take care of the PLO infestation. In any case, Israel pulled all of its troops out of Lebanon in 2000. Despite this, Hamas kidnapped an Israeli soldier and precipitated a war in 2006 that was devastating for Lebanon.

My stepdad's family blames Hamas for that. They ask why would Hamas provoke a war with Israel when the Israelis had completely pulled out in 2000?
Valid points. Anti-semitism is certainly a major theme in Islamic history and in the life of the prophet

Lebanese Christians do not hate the Muslims. A minority might, but this is definitely not the general opinion. I'm Lebanese myself with both Christian and Muslim relatives,and I'm currently in Lebanon enjoying the summer with my sisters and our friends, some Maronite Christian. My home village has both Lebanese Muslims and Christians who live together peacefully and are extremely close.

You have a really shallow understanding of the civil war if you think it was that black and white. Yes, some Christian groups supported Israel(who could forget the atrocious Sabra and Shatilla massacre). Though the Lebanese civil war is often portrayed as a Muslim-Christian conflict , its underlying causes were political and not religious in nature. In fact, some of the most violent episodes of the war took place within religious groups. But I'm really not here to give you a history lesson. I'm sorry that your step father's hatred towards Muslims gave you the impression that it was the norm for Lebanese Christians.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending