The Student Room Group

Late release of final year university results

Hi,

I'm a final-year BSC Biomedical Science student at Sheffield Hallam University. I had to retake an exam in July due to health issues and the results were supposed to be out last week but university decided they will not publish the results before the board meeting in SEPTEMBER.

I currently hold a conditional offer from University of Sheffield to do an MSc in Molecular Medicine and have already won a £10,000 scholarship from the medical school, but Uni Of are becoming impatient and say they cannot wait much longer for my results to come out. I tried emailing my university staff but my requests were either rejected or completely ignored.

At this stage I don't know what to do. I am at risk of losing my place at Uni Of because my university won't stick to their deadline and I don't know whom to go to for help. Is there anything I can do? Are there any external organisations that would help me and support me in this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Cloooooudie
Hi,

I'm a final-year BSC Biomedical Science student at Sheffield Hallam University. I had to retake an exam in July due to health issues and the results were supposed to be out last week but university decided they will not publish the results before the board meeting in SEPTEMBER.

I currently hold a conditional offer from University of Sheffield to do an MSc in Molecular Medicine and have already won a £10,000 scholarship from the medical school, but Uni Of are becoming impatient and say they cannot wait much longer for my results to come out. I tried emailing my university staff but my requests were either rejected or completely ignored.

At this stage I don't know what to do. I am at risk of losing my place at Uni Of because my university won't stick to their deadline and I don't know whom to go to for help. Is there anything I can do? Are there any external organisations that would help me and support me in this?

Thanks

I'm also a Sheffield Hallam graduate, i had some troubles with my results and lost my conditional offer in a MSc in physician associate so i can understand what you're going through. Although i have appealed and i am very confident it will be changed, i already lost my place.

I also have friends that are also waiting for their results so they can continue with their education but it will be released in September. I think there is no way around it as they wont postpone the board meeting.

Maybe if you can show them your current transcript and if it is good enough they might consider letting you in.

Good luck i hope it gets sorted! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Jean Acco
I'm also a Sheffield Hallam graduate, i had some troubles with my results and lost my conditional offer in a MSc in physician associate so i can understand what you're going through. Although i have appealed and i am very confident it will be changed, i already lost my place.

I also have friends that are also waiting for their results so they can continue with their education but it will be released in September. I think there is no way around it as they wont postpone the board meeting.

Maybe if you can show them your current transcript and if it is good enough they might consider letting you in.

That sucks about your MSc offer. :frown: I'm so scared the same will happen to me, but it seems like I'm not the only one who's suffered at the hands of Hallam's incompetence. I wish I could do something because I already got a scholarship from Uni Of and now I will lose it, and there is no guarantee it will be available again next year and without it I can't really do Masters.
Talk to your SU and director of studies at the current uni. They may be able to help or write something to support you.
Hey everyone, we've spoken to Student Support Services and have the following information:

From mid-July, student grades for resit exams are sent to the grade centre and students can see their provisional marks. The results are then forwarded to the processing board for approval. Unfortunately, the results are not official until they are confirmed with the board and returned on 12th September.

Sometimes mistakes can happen and incorrect marks are given provisionally. The board may need to scale grades up or down on a particular course if they feel an academic has been too harsh, or too generous.

We understand this is very frustrating when you have a conditional place to study another course a week after the official grades are released. We recommend that you speak to the course leader on your MA/MSc/ course to see what they can do, and contact the Student Support Officer in your faculty. If you're not sure who this is, call 0114 225 3468 and you'll be put through to the right person.

We're sorry we can't do anything else to help at this time. If you do have any questions, please ask and we'll try to help.

Thanks,
Laura
Official Hallam rep

Original post by Jean Acco

Original post by Cloooooudie
Hi,

Thanks

Quick Reply