The Student Room Group

Made a HUGE mistake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jneill
You can still ask Cambridge to defer. The SAQ isn't final by any means and they do allow people to change their mind. If you are considering it, it's best to talk to your college now rather than on Results Day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't know that was a possibility, thank you for telling me.

Original post by jneill
With due respect, you don't actually know that. :wink: For 6th Form you needed to get 90%+ in pretty much everything. But for a degree even a First is "only" 70%+, and a 2:1 (60%+) really is a good goal to have...

You don't have to do all the questions on every example sheet every week... Actually no-one ever does.

Try it, see how it goes.

First year doesn't count anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, I don't know. But, I do have suspicions and my academic history does make the possibility very likely. Also, I would feel under more pressure to put in that extra effort and get higher grades at Cambridge/Durham as there would be that expectation. I can't find the graph now unfortunately, but there was a report done on how many hours of work students averaged per week in the same subject for the same degree at different universities and it was markedly higher at Cambridge/Durham than at other, perfectly respectable universities. If I remember correctly, philosophy students at Cambridge did 1/3 more work!
Reply 61
Original post by Duke Glacia
Youll be fine whereever u go but pls remember that no one slacked off and got into cambridge everyone works super hard, a true genius is 99% hard work and 1 % intelligence -thomas edison

pls consider carefully ur choice, i feel ur experiencing a burn out so my suggestion, go for vacations and relax ur mind,

finally im quite sure youll be happy at cambz

^^^

I know that you don't get good results without working hard. But that's my point, I don't want to work that hard. Sorry, I'm done with the whole killing myself with study thing. Tried it, got me good grades, but ultimately it made me miserable.
Reply 62
Original post by AmyPilot
I understand the pressure from school/college - I had Oxbridge "suggested" to me too when I was in year 12/13. In all honesty the environment of those unis never appealed to me and I ended up picking a course that they don't offer anyway so at least some of my teachers stopped with their "suggestions". I have been at uni for 2 years now (2 years still to go) and you have to be happy wherever you go or you will be miserable. I got decent grades (A*AAA) and don't go to a RG uni but my choices were limited as so few places offer my course - my RG choice was my insurance uni. Lots of people thought I was crazy with my choice but they didn't understand me or the situation regarding the course I picked. If I were you I would leave things well alone until results day then when you know your grades/whether you have made your offer. It sounds like your parents are happy to support you rather than pressure you which is great. Try to stay positive and not worry too much for now - you may feel a bit clearer come results day.

You made a brave decision and I'm now wishing that I had had your courage. I'm glad it all worked out for you and it's reassuring to hear how happy you are.
Original post by Platopus
I didn't know this before, thank you so much!!!!! You and @claireestelle don't know how much this comforts me! That is one major worry solved for me.

Glad to have helped:smile:
What you learnt at school was 5 subjects. 5 subjects, all of which weren't your favourites. There's definitely at least 1 subject that you didn't like or found uninteresting.

At uni, you've chosen Philosophy, a subject that you have a genuine interest and passion for. You should find it easier to study, considering that you want to learn and study it. So, I think that you wouldn't feel like you're putting in as much effort into it as your A-Levels.

You've been accepted to Cambridge, and if you can defer entry, well and good. But, IMO, you should go ahead and take up the course this year! Next year, you might get used to 'not studying' (for lack of a better word) and leave behind an opportunity of a lifetime!

Perhaps if you find Cambridge too demanding, you could opt for Durham. But I firmly believe that the best time to begin uni would be right after you're done with school.

This is simply my opinion. I know there are probably people out there who wouldn't agree with me... don't shoot! You have the right to make your own decisions... You know what would suit you best.

:hugs:

Hope this post adds some value to this thread :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by raniafern

You've been accepted to Cambridge, and if you can defer entry, well and good. But, IMO, you should go ahead and take up the course this year! Next year, you might get used to 'not studying' (for lack of a better word) and leave behind an opportunity of a lifetime!

PRSOM

Yes, that's what I'm worried about :frown: I guess there's no real easy answer to this and at the end of the day, I just have to wait until results day to see if this is a decision I have to make. Maybe things will seem clearer then.

Thank you for sharing your advice and stating your confidence in me. It's really lovely :smile: I'm sorry if I don't appear to be grateful for everyone's replies but I really am and just because I don't yet know what to do, it doesn't mean that y'all (don't know why I used that term) haven't helped in bringing me closer to making an informed choice.
PRSOM

Yes, that's what I'm worried about :frown: I guess there's no real easy answer to this and at the end of the day, I just have to wait until results day to see if this is a decision I have to make. Maybe things will seem clearer then.

Thank you for sharing your advice and stating your confidence in me. It's really lovely :smile: I'm sorry if I don't appear to be grateful for everyone's replies but I really am and just because I don't yet know what to do, it doesn't mean that y'all (don't know why I used that term) haven't helped in bringing me closer to making an informed choice.

PRSOM :colonhash:

Spoiler

Reply 67
PRSOM :colonhash:

Spoiler

I actually lit a candle at church the day before my exams haha. And afterwards at Durham cathedral. Perhaps the occasion calls for another though!
I actually lit a candle at church the day before my exams haha. And afterwards at Durham cathedral. Perhaps the occasion calls for another though!

:biggrin: Your PMs are like candy to kid, where said kid is moi :biggrin: But, I never reply the same day coz I read it, go to sleep (sleep on it indeed :biggrin: ), read it again next morning and reply :rofl: I told you I was a little loco :biggrin:
My advice may not be popular but I am going to share it anyway. :u:
You have been given an opportunity others would give anything to have. You are lacking confidence and it is understandable that going to Cambridge would be intimidating. You have proven yourself to be an excellent student so you will probably thrive wherever you attend uni. Obviously your teachers believe you to be capable.
Now, here is my advice. You're only as good as the last school you attended. For example Whispering Tide (as you responded to) noted that a friend went to Aberystwyth and is getting a PhD from Imperial. When you are interviewing for a job the company isn't really going to be concerned w/ where you did your sixth form but concerned where you got your uni degree. Same holds true for post grad, if you go to an average uni for undergrad but attend a top notch uni for post grad the company will really only be concerned w/ where you completed your post-grad degree. That being said, having any degree from Cambridge
be it undergrad or post-grad really does open doors when being hired and for getting post-grad placements. At the end of the day one goes to uni to end up getting the best job and potential start to a career possible. If you do make the scores to attend Cambridge but choose not to go you risk ultimately regretting that decision later on. There is stress, for sure, attending a uni the caliber of Cambridge but a lot of reward in the end as well. Good luck with your scores and making your final decision.....and know that at the end of the day life has a way of working itself out the way it is supposed to be.
Reply 70
:biggrin: Your PMs are like candy to kid, where said kid is moi :biggrin: But, I never reply the same day coz I read it, go to sleep (sleep on it indeed :biggrin: ), read it again next morning and reply :rofl: I told you I was a little loco :biggrin:

Haha don't worry about fast replies. I love your PMs too! :grouphugs: they give me something to look forward to.
If your place is confirmed on results day and your feelings don't change abour Cambridge then why not try a few terms there to see if you like it, and transfer if you don't? I'm sure many universities would be more than happy to take a transfer student from Cambridge :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Hopefully1
My advice may not be popular but I am going to share it anyway. :u:
You have been given an opportunity others would give anything to have. You are lacking confidence and it is understandable that going to Cambridge would be intimidating. You have proven yourself to be an excellent student so you will probably thrive wherever you attend uni. Obviously your teachers believe you to be capable.
Now, here is my advice. You're only as good as the last school you attended. For example Whispering Tide (as you responded to) noted that a friend went to Aberystwyth and is getting a PhD from Imperial. When you are interviewing for a job the company isn't really going to be concerned w/ where you did your sixth form but concerned where you got your uni degree. Same holds true for post grad, if you go to an average uni for undergrad but attend a top notch uni for post grad the company will really only be concerned w/ where you completed your post-grad degree. That being said, having any degree from Cambridge
be it undergrad or post-grad really does open doors when being hired and for getting post-grad placements. At the end of the day one goes to uni to end up getting the best job and potential start to a career possible. If you do make the scores to attend Cambridge but choose not to go you risk ultimately regretting that decision later on. There is stress, for sure, attending a uni the caliber of Cambridge but a lot of reward in the end as well. Good luck with your scores and making your final decision.....and know that at the end of the day life has a way of working itself out the way it is supposed to be.

Thanks for sharing your honest advice. Getting a number of different viewpoints is important as it will help me to make an unbiased, well informed decision (should my results be such that I need to make one, come 18th August).

However, I would like to clarify one point. If I were to attend a less 'prestigious' uni, it wouldn't be a 'bad' one. I'd still be looking at places such as Bristol, Leeds or Newcastle and I feel that a degree from any of those would be sufficient for my career aspirations. I want to be a primary school teacher, not Prime Minister or something and most primary school teachers do not have Oxbridge degrees so, while I agree that one would be advantageous, not having one won't put me at a disadvantage against the majority of other applicants.
Thanks for sharing your honest advice. Getting a number of different viewpoints is important as it will help me to make an unbiased, well informed decision (should my results be such that I need to make one, come 18th August).

However, I would like to clarify one point. If I were to attend a less 'prestigious' uni, it wouldn't be a 'bad' one. I'd still be looking at places such as Bristol, Leeds or Newcastle and I feel that a degree from any of those would be sufficient for my career aspirations. I want to be a primary school teacher, not Prime Minister or something and most primary school teachers do not have Oxbridge degrees so, while I agree that one would be advantageous, not having one won't put me at a disadvantage against the majority of other applicants.

Ahem... "Grandma name" :wink:
Reply 74
Original post by tanyapotter
If your place is confirmed on results day and your feelings don't change abour Cambridge then why not try a few terms there to see if you like it, and transfer if you don't? I'm sure many universities would be more than happy to take a transfer student from Cambridge :smile:

Thank you. I suppose that is always an option too, and one which I hadn't considered before. I get the feeling that it would be harder to transfer and there would be less choice than if I were to choose a different uni in clearing though, as most universities won't have vacancies.
Haha don't worry about fast replies. I love your PMs too! :grouphugs: they give me something to look forward to.

:five: :hugs:
Reply 76
Ahem... "Grandma name" :wink:

Hahaha oh dear, thankfully I have no desire to take after my namesake (not that I was named for her).
My advice is probably going against the grain here, but I'd say go with your gut, and if you really really know in your heart that you don't want to be worked to the bone (which Cambridge will do) then have a look at clearing lists right now, in case you get to results day and these thoughts are still there. I go to Oxford and while I wasn't forced, it was mostly the thought of turning down such a prestigious place which made me come here. I knew before I arrived that I wasn't going to hack it- which was only confirmed in my first term! Three years later and I still didn't have the guts to leave. Like you I could/can do the work but I literally work 24/7 which is not an appropriate price to pay for a 2.1 degree :frown:
Reply 78
Thank you. I suppose that is always an option too, and one which I hadn't considered before. I get the feeling that it would be harder to transfer and there would be less choice than if I were to choose a different uni in clearing though, as most universities won't have vacancies.

If you decide to transfer out of Cambridge or Durham after Y1 you will have the full choice of any university - not a Clearing rush exercise. And that's what we've been saying about it not affecting SFE etc.

And note it's likely you would be able to transfer to Y2, not have to start from scratch.
Reply 79
Original post by Poooky
My advice is probably going against the grain here, but I'd say go with your gut, and if you really really know in your heart that you don't want to be worked to the bone (which Cambridge will do) then have a look at clearing lists right now, in case you get to results day and these thoughts are still there. I go to Oxford and while I wasn't forced, it was mostly the thought of turning down such a prestigious place which made me come here. I knew before I arrived that I wasn't going to hack it- which was only confirmed in my first term! Three years later and I still didn't have the guts to leave. Like you I could/can do the work but I literally work 24/7 which is not an appropriate price to pay for a 2.1 degree :frown:

Thank you! If I'm honest, my heart is saying that Cambridge/Durham is not the place for me. I hope that your experience of Oxford does improve, but I feel that I would have much the same regrets as you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending