The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Leeds or LSE?

Scroll to see replies

You've presumably spent the past year writing a personal statement for History, and presumably thought about studying history at university for even longer. Suddenly, your choice in history is in doubt because of what? Future prospects in three or four years time of which none of us have any idea about?

Look, if your choice to study History at a lesser university was in doubt then I would understand, and probably agree somewhat. But we're talking LSE. You clearly love History, so first and foremost study what you *enjoy*, secondly, choose the best university. It sounds like History at the LSE is the best of both worlds.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
These were exactly my initial thoughts- doing joint economics at a less prestigious university must have some advantage, purely because its a more employable degree. A placement year too, seems almost essential in the graduade job market since everyone wants experience.

But is it all worth it in the end? Im prepared to sacrifice a quality social life at Leeds for better employment prospects tbh.

The History modules look fantastic at LSE. Doing just History, which I love, could also make me perform better, since im not a fan of maths and thats a heavy feature of economics. Again though, im prepared to "suffer" if it pays off in the long run.

What would you do in my situation?

Many thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by weaselvomit
These were exactly my initial thoughts- doing joint economics at a less prestigious university must have some advantage, purely because its a more employable degree. A placement year too, seems almost essential in the graduade job market since everyone wants experience.

But is it all worth it in the end? Im prepared to sacrifice a quality social life at Leeds for better employment prospects tbh.

The History modules look fantastic at LSE. Doing just History, which I love, could also make me perform better, since im not a fan of maths and thats a heavy feature of economics. Again though, im prepared to "suffer" if it pays off in the long run.

From a personal point, I chose LSE over the other institutions I applied for purely because the modules at LSE appealed to me. Modern history is predominantly my favourite period, and this is the focus of LSE. At other institutions, the devotion to this area is minimal, nothing like as interesting as the areas taught at LSE.

I'm lucky in the sense that I'm applying for the joint degree with IR, which gives a bit more scope and application of the two disciplines and their overlaps.

I think the economics would broaden your future employability, and similarly the placement is valuable for many entry level jobs which still ask for experience! That being said, I chose the LSE (despite the fears of pressure) because it seemed right for me - it must be your decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23

In the first year of BA History at LSE, you get 1 or 2 outside options. This means you could do Economics modules without having to study the Maths modules that you'd have to do if you were doing an actual Economics degree.
Reply 24
Thats true, but how many employers are going to inspect all the modules I took for my degree? Having a couple of modules in Economics is only going to do wonders for my own curiosity, not my career prospects, surely.
Reply 25
Thats true, but how many employers are going to inspect all the modules I took for my degree? Having a couple of modules in Economics is only going to do wonders for my own curiosity, not my career prospects, surely.

In my view, the benefits of having a degree from LSE outweigh the benefits of having a degree with "Economics" in the title.

Also you can write the modules on your CV.

A lot of employers, especially in the City, are quite meticulous and some go as far as asking for A-level UMS scores. So yes, modules matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by h3110
In my view, the benefits of having a degree from LSE outweigh the benefits of having a degree with "Economics" in the title.

Also you can write the modules on your CV.

Original post by antigone-
A lot of employers, especially in the City, are quite meticulous and some go as far as asking for A-level UMS scores. So yes, modules matter.

Thats true, but I won't just have a degree with "Economics" in the title at Leeds, I'd have a placement year too - experience might set me apart from other applicants, as well as demonstrating my interest. Don't forget if I was to decide I wanted to work in the City, I'd probably be competing with other LSE grads, most of whom come out with Economics related or maths based degrees, so a couple of modules won't make a huge difference.

I sound really pro-Leeds, but I'm just trying to get some counter arguments. Tbh I really am torn over the matter.

And results are next week. Yay.
Reply 28
I'd also like to mention that I haven't actually got a place at Leeds, I'm just hoping they'll let me in through clearing. So it's a bit of a gamble to either get released from LSE, or go through "adjustment" should I exceed the offer for LSE (AAA)
I'd also like to mention that I haven't actually got a place at Leeds, I'm just hoping they'll let me in through clearing. So it's a bit of a gamble to either get released from LSE, or go through "adjustment" should I exceed the offer for LSE (AAA)

You sound pretty pro-Leeds but as you say, you haven't got an offer. Is the Leeds course in Clearing already? You can check on UCAS Search. I don't know how else people can advise you, just wait until the 18th.
LSE History will not be looked down upon. You can choose Economic History or Management electives to get more exposure. And, if necessary, all you need is to do an MBA or a MIM on top of the respected BSc History from LSE. Go check the LSE homepage, especially under History subject, and also the pages related to careers. You will find why History graduates are also sought after by consulting firms. It is not the subject matter but the skills developed in completing the course.
Original post by GandalfWhite
"And, if necessary, all you need is to do an MBA or a MIM"

Yup, because we all have 10s of thousands in the bank in reserve for the obligatory MBA/MIM...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending