The Student Room Group

Graduate with a worthless degree needs help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Herz
I wouldn't be against further study if I thought it would lend itself to a career path but right now as far as I can see at least for the moment there's nothing to gain from a Masters.

Something like Social Work/working with vulnerable people wouldn't be my cup of tea.

In terms of my own interests I don't know, like I said in the OP (super general stuff I know)...I want a career where I feel challenged, have to think a lot and work hard, handle lots of info, have to research maybe...

One of my son's cousins, on his father's side did an Engineering degree at Trinity College Dublin. Landed himself a great job in management, at Jaguar Land Rover. Went all over Europe testing wind turbines,among other things. Did this for about 10 years. But his wife really wanted to move back to Ireland. So reluctantly he quit his beloved job, and enrolled on a course at Michael Smurfit Business School in Dublin. I don't know specifically the name of his Masters , but he now works as a trader on the Dublin Stock Exchange. Just gave you him as an example of the opportunities that are potentially out there.
Original post by Herz
I wouldn't be against further study if I thought it would lend itself to a career path but right now as far as I can see at least for the moment there's nothing to gain from a Masters.

Something like Social Work/working with vulnerable people wouldn't be my cup of tea.

In terms of my own interests I don't know, like I said in the OP (super general stuff I know)...I want a career where I feel challenged, have to think a lot and work hard, handle lots of info, have to research maybe...

Not seeing your degree as worthless at all.
What JSP said though, the issue is you need to start doing some research and see what jobs are out there and what interests you. Just start at the beginning and work your way though till you have identified the skills you like most and which jobs use them.

You could seek to use your degree directly or just use it as a route to graduate jobs. Go to your careers department and see where previous graduates went with your subject.
Wow. German.

And. all things are possible, your degree is not worthless.

Life is what you make of it, don't give up, languages are beautiful.
Reply 23
Original post by markova21
One of my son's cousins, on his father's side did an Engineering degree at Trinity College Dublin. Landed himself a great job in management, at Jaguar Land Rover. Went all over Europe testing wind turbines,among other things. Did this for about 10 years. But his wife really wanted to move back to Ireland. So reluctantly he quit his beloved job, and enrolled on a course at Michael Smurfit Business School in Dublin. I don't know specifically the name of his Masters , but he now works as a trader on the Dublin Stock Exchange. Just gave you him as an example of the opportunities that are potentially out there.

Original post by 999tigger
Not seeing your degree as worthless at all.
What JSP said though, the issue is you need to start doing some research and see what jobs are out there and what interests you. Just start at the beginning and work your way though till you have identified the skills you like most and which jobs use them.

You could seek to use your degree directly or just use it as a route to graduate jobs. Go to your careers department and see where previous graduates went with your subject.

Yeah I know guys I need to direct myself properly, and there are options out there for when I make a real decision on the path I wanna go down.

Not sure about the military. I'm **** at being shouted at while carrying a backpack the size of a Volkswagen

Original post by Blackstarr
Wow. German.

And. all things are possible, your degree is not worthless.

Life is what you make of it, don't give up, languages are beautiful.

Was that a good wow or a bad wow? :P
I think it was yout thread toyle about a good degree being worthless which was a bit too pity party for me.
Just get on with it. Sooner you do the groundwork then the sooner you can start applying.
There should be plenty of areas that will interest you.
@super_kawaii

maybe you could be off some help.
Original post by Herz
Yeah I know guys I need to direct myself properly, and there are options out there for when I make a real decision on the path I wanna go down.

Not sure about the military. I'm **** at being shouted at while carrying a backpack the size of a Volkswagen

Was that a good wow or a bad wow? :P

a good wow of course.

I don't see why not you can't be employable, at least with German
Reply 27
Have you thought about moving to another country you say that you're fluent in German I am aware that Germany is at the moment so desperate for skilled people to work there as they have an ageing population I'm sure you could get a decent paying job over there
Work for a London wine merchant-- my guess is that most of them are pretty good with French (or have figured out how not to need any), but relationships with German and Italian producers/wholesalers may be harder to negotiate. Part of this assumes you have some knowledge and interest re the product.
Reply 29
Original post by 999tigger
I think it was yout thread toyle about a good degree being worthless which was a bit too pity party for me.
Just get on with it. Sooner you do the groundwork then the sooner you can start applying.
There should be plenty of areas that will interest you.

Yeah I know sorry, you are right.

Original post by Jee1
Have you thought about moving to another country you say that you're fluent in German I am aware that Germany is at the moment so desperate for skilled people to work there as they have an ageing population I'm sure you could get a decent paying job over there

I would definitely consider moving to Germany (loved it on my Year Abroad) but aside from just the languages I don't really have any hard 'skills' I'd say so who knows what I could do really. If I'm unsure/struggling in the UK it only makes sense that I would be abroad.

Original post by Camilli
Work for a London wine merchant-- my guess is that most of them are pretty good with French (or have figured out how not to need any), but relationships with German and Italian producers/wholesalers may be harder to negotiate. Part of this assumes you have some knowledge and interest re the product.

A fun suggestion but I know nothing at all about wine. I get your suggestion though as a more general one, international account management or similar
1. Start doing SOMETHING: research careers, contact people, schedule work experience, go on coffee meet ups with people in jobs you like, reach out to people who were in your class with jobs

2. Get off tsr and stop trying to seek solace in other people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Herz
Yeah I know sorry, you are right.

The good side of it, is its clearly a good degree, good class from a good uni.

It will mean you can compete for most jobs when you decide what it is you wish to do.
Reply 32
Original post by Herz

I would definitely consider moving to Germany (loved it on my Year Abroad) but aside from just the languages I don't really have any hard 'skills' I'd say so who knows what I could do really. If I'm unsure/struggling in the UK it only makes sense that I would be abroad.

I don't think you need "hard skills" what matters is that you are educated and can speak German, if refugees that can't speak German can get jobs there so can you
Reply 33
Original post by Jee1
I don't think you need "hard skills" what matters is that you are educated and can speak German, if refugees that can't speak German can get jobs there so can you

Not to be snobby but I'm not asking for guidance in how to find myself retail or w/e work...If I was just gonna end up doing low-level stuff long-term I'd just do it here not in Germany & anything more graduate-level would require more skills or at least some experience

Original post by Princepieman
1. Start doing SOMETHING: research careers, contact people, schedule work experience, go on coffee meet ups with people in jobs you like, reach out to people who were in your class with jobs2. Get off tsr and stop trying to seek solace in other peoplePosted from TSR Mobile

Yes I know I need to start networking hard
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Herz
Yeah I know 2:1 from Warwick isn't "useless" really but still don't see what I can do with it esp. since I don't have any decent experience to back myself up/allow me to move into a field

I'd still need to find a decent job to move to Germany though in any case

Idk I just don't think I'd wanna teach

And yeah I know I could do worse & I need to get moving pretty quick and not just stagnate

You were privately educated weren't you
Reply 35
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You were privately educated weren't you

What gives you that impression?

(I wasn't, by the way - I come from about as poor a background as you can so)
Have you heard of Camp America?
Original post by Herz
What gives you that impression?

(I wasn't, by the way - I come from about as poor a background as you can so)

Because you seem like my niece and nephews - privately educated and waiting for a job to land at their door. Not gonna happen.

You have to go out and get something - you have a great degree from brill uni. I don't know why you have a problem but `i do know that jobs don't come to you - you have to get them. I worked in Asda for a year, I packed catalogues in a factory and worked as a cleaner before I got a decent job - these things make you as a person*
Reply 38
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Because you seem like my niece and nephews - privately educated and waiting for a job to land at their door. Not gonna happen.

You have to go out and get something - you have a great degree from brill uni. I don't know why you have a problem but `i do know that jobs don't come to you - you have to get them. I worked in Asda for a year, I packed catalogues in a factory and worked as a cleaner before I got a decent job - these things make you as a person*

Well I wouldn't say I'm being entitled "waiting for a job to fall in my lap"

I made this thread because i truly feel lost unsure of what i want to do or what options even are open to me. My impression is in the job market of today (in particular the graduate job market) without key experience such as internships or a more in-demand degree like engineering there isnt much down for you...

And im no stranger to lower level work im not sat around thinking anything but a dream job right now is beneath me

What do you do now if you dont mind and what degree did you get? (If you went to uni idk if youve said)
(edited 7 years ago)
Herz
x

Speech and language therapist - especially if you did any phonology/child language acquisition and have an interest. I believe it is a 1 year MSc. NHS and private exist, set up own practice one day, could even do elocution lessons for rich foreigners as a side gig.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending