The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Vashappeninkira
Hi I'm going to be studying medicine in September 💃🏽🍾💃🏽
I took a gap year last year and have heard so many amazing stories about freshers week from my friends who are doing other courses. But I have heard that freshers week for medical students is a bit different.

Is this true? What should I expect instead ?
Any cool stories about freshers from medics ?!

Pretty much the same for medics and non-medics here!
Its exactly the same where I went.

Some med schools have divided societies for medics and non-medics, so maybe signing up to those is one potential difference depending on where you are? Some are segregated in other ways. Especially in London for some reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
First year Medics start 1 week earlier at my uni so we have a medics freshers week (which is awesome) and then we have the General freshers week next week with everyone but we have lectures and placement but still do-able
I took a gap year last year and have heard so many amazing stories about freshers week from my friends who are doing other courses. But I have heard that freshers week for medical students is a bit different.

From my experience, we had a freshers fortnight whilst the other courses didn't have this all they had was the freshers mingle, boat party and freshers ball. Whereas the medics could buy the freshers fortnight passport and have a different event everyday for 2 weeks this included our own boat party and mingle as well as the normal uni one. Medic events also tend to involve more drinking, you'll learn pretty quickly that a lot of medics are like functioning alcoholics (I'm kidding, but honestly they do drink a lot here). I know the other courses often got a bit envious that we had our own freshers events which meant medics became closer and got to know each other quicker than people in other courses did
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkberry_y
From my experience, we had a freshers fortnight whilst the other courses didn't have this all they had was the freshers mingle, boat party and freshers ball. Whereas the medics could buy the freshers fortnight passport and have a different event everyday for 2 weeks this included our own boat party and mingle as well as the normal uni one. Medic events also tend to involve more drinking, you'll learn pretty quickly that a lot of medics are like functioning alcoholics (I'm kidding, but honestly they do drink a lot here). I know the other courses often got a bit envious that we had our own freshers events which meant medics became closer and got to know each other quicker than people in other courses did

That sounds A LOT like Imperial lol.
Yea so when I started medicine. it was the same, but when I was doing my first degree, it was only 1 week, there were events organised, it included students from all sorts of courses (pretty much everything apart from medics- although some may have tagged along with their friends on other courses to he normal fresher events. But also at my first uni (ucl) my department also had their own fresher events that week. but that was organised by the biologogical society at ucl to help us get to know each other.

Medicine is defintiely very...exclusive! its kind of a, i'm a medic, so I only hang out with medics kind of thing (not that thats bad! since it helps you make friends on your course that you will spend 5/6 years of your life with and build connections with other senior medics that generally help out in various ways throughout your studies

It depends on the uni, at my uni (Cardiff) freshers week falls on induction week for medicine and doesnt for other courses which means we start induction at 9am most days and hence have to be up and ready, so for me I couldnt go to all freshers week activities without either leaving early or dying a painful death the next day.

For our uni we had some great medicine initiation events to do with the parent scheme (we all showed up in fancy dress it was great) and we had a medics only formal for freshers.

To be honest its not really any different to other courses.
There's at least 4 weeks of self-congratulation and mutual masturbation, and socials wearing scrubs... until you realise no-one cares and that the people reading History are having way more fun.
you drink shots out of miniature lab flasks and test tubes, it's a completely different experience

Latest

Trending

Trending