The Student Room Group

Upset/Happy with results. Advice plz

Hi today I received my results. I got:

Adv. Higher Biology - A
Adv. Higher Chemistry - A
Adv. Higher Maths - A
Adv. Higher English - D

I got a C last year for Higher English but am very upset with this years. I am not sure if thats going to affect future emloyability or anything else at all in the future. I got into University this year. Thank you.
Well done for getting into uni. What are you studying?

I can't see the English thing being damaging for you in the future (unless maybe you're going on to study English) but I'm not an expert. You should discuss it with your school or college.
Reply 2
Original post by Makhib19
Hi today I received my results. I got:

Adv. Higher Biology - A
Adv. Higher Chemistry - A
Adv. Higher Maths - A
Adv. Higher English - D

I got a C last year for Higher English but am very upset with this years. I am not sure if thats going to affect future emloyability or anything else at all in the future. I got into University this year. Thank you.

The English result does not matter in the slightest. If you are applying for jobs you do not even need to put the result on your CV if you don't want to. Though you should disclose all results to your university if you are waiting on a conditional offer.Be happy with the 3 other Adv highers as they are in difficult subjects, you should be proud!
Reply 3
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Well done for getting into uni. What are you studying?

I can't see the English thing being damaging for you in the future (unless maybe you're going on to study English) but I'm not an expert. You should discuss it with your school or college.

Aww thank you. Thats a motivational boost. I am studying Medicine at Glasgoe Uni :smile: I will visit my school next week. Thank you for the advice.

Original post by JP298
The English result does not matter in the slightest. If you are applying for jobs you do not even need to put the result on your CV if you don't want to. Though you should disclose all results to your university if you are waiting on a conditional offer.Be happy with the 3 other Adv highers as they are in difficult subjects, you should be proud!

Thank you! Thats a relief, I didnt want the grade to taint any future applications. Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it.
Well done, I agree with the above - you should be proud, not upset. Just to reiterate, any concerns about your upcoming course you do have then please discuss with your uni.

FYI I don't include my pre-uni grades on my CV. I know some jobs do require you to disclose these but having a well rounded CV built out by experience (professional, academic, skills, ongoing training, other etc) is the most important thing to have to put you ahead in the job market.

Hope that helps and good luck for uni :smile:
Reply 5
Aww thank you. Thats a motivational boost. I am studying Medicine at Glasgoe Uni :smile: I will visit my school next week. Thank you for the advice.

Thank you! Thats a relief, I didnt want the grade to taint any future applications. Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it.

Hey I don't think your Adv English grade will even matter after you get in med school, I doubt it would matter for fy1 applications in the slightest.

I assume you met your conditional offer?
out of curiosity, WHY ENGLISH?? :colonhash:
I was thankful that I passed my h english...
Original post by Junioh
out of curiosity, WHY ENGLISH?? :colonhash:
I was thankful that I passed my h english...

English is underrated.
Reply 8
It appears this years Higher English was harshly marked. Most of my class were predicted A's and all of us got B's, C's and a few D's.

As mentioned, you don't need to put it on your CV. Especially since you've got into University, your degree will trump all.

But absolutely well done on those A's!
I am studying Medicine at Glasgoe Uni

Hi,

First off, congratulations on your offer and your results! :smile:

If you're accepted onto any program, your current grades are suitable for what the department requires. Your Higher or Adv. Higher grades shouldn't affect much unless you're applying for, say, an internship/placement which specifically has English requirements. Considering you'll be taking Medicine, I can't see this being too much of an issue as your science grades are very good. Also, your university grades will far outweigh your high school grades.

You got into an amazing university in a really fun city. Don't be upset, just look forward to your time in Glasgow. :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending