The Student Room Group

University second year housing checklist

Hi everyone
What things would you suggest that I need to pack to take to a student house that I didn't need when I was in halls? I've sorted out the obvious stuff like internet and gas and water
Original post by Drosera97
Hi everyone
What things would you suggest that I need to pack to take to a student house that I didn't need when I was in halls? I've sorted out the obvious stuff like internet and gas and water

Cutlery and cooking stuff. Bedding. Any things to make it look a bit homlier.
Then if you're not provided with one...a hoover, dustpan and brush and mop.
If you have any sort of party you'll be needing them the day after!
Sort your bills out. Council tax. Water. Internet. Gas. Electric.
Then make sure the house has safety certificates for the gas etc and is hmo registered if there are a few of you within the one house. Insurance may help too for personal contents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drosera97
Hi everyone

Hello :smile:

This is definitely a learning game as you go along to be honest.
With a lot of student houses all the bills are included within the price of rent but there is a good number that aren't, so if they aren't, make sure to factor all of that in.

Ensure you pack/buy cleaning stuff - PLEASE keep your house clean, it makes it so much more homely and avoids future problems like damp and damage etc.
Ensure you've got cups, glasses, cutlery, pots and plans, plates, measuring jugs etc. At the same time this all depends on how homely you want it too look - hence why I said it's like a learning game - we ended up buying rugs and other decorations for our house.

Best of luck! :biggrin:
You don't need anything different to move in but once you're there you may want to do a trip for some home goods to make the place nice e.g. lamp, throw, pictures, toilet brush (doesn't make it nice but you'll want one!), kettle etc. But have a look at your space and agree with flatmates first.
maybe bring some cleaning supplies, toilet supplies (air freshners, toilet brush ect) all the things like that as i know in most halls communal areas were cleaned by staff. Ask your new housemates to chip in on buying those sorts of things or if you buy them first let them to take turns in buying the next round of supplies later in the year.

Quick Reply

Latest