The Student Room Group

job after failing uni

am i now less likely to be able to get a job after failing uni? how do i explain what ive been doing for the past 2 years as i have gained no work experience or qualifications in this time.. would they be put off by me trying and failing uni
Which course were you doing?

Why did you fail?
You need to think about this so it doesn't affect you later on.

You can still apply for jobs, you can also go back and do a different degree if you want to, unfortunately Student Finance only pays for 3 years and they give an extra 'gift' year as well, so 4 years total.
If you've already had a student loan for 2 years you'll get another 2 years. Don't worry, you've still got a lot of options.

When applying to jobs you may have to work for really low pay at first and then work your way up to a better paying job. You need the experience though, so just do it.
You can also apply for an apprenticeship somewhere, this might be a good option for you as you'll be able to earn money and study at the same time. You can become an electrician or plumber in this way. Self-employed plumbers earn a lot of money :smile: You can go into a lot of different fields in this way.

If you don't want to do that what you could do is get a job and make some money and then save up for that extra year, also instead of going back to a different uni and course maybe you could do a HNC or HND instead at a college while working? This way after 1 or 2 years you'll have a qualification that you can actually show and then if you want to you can go to a uni for a top up year or two which will give you a full degree in that subject. If you want to do that I'd recommend going for a STEM degree as you may find it easier to find a better paying job afterwards.
You could also apply for nursing or another healthcare degree that the NHS covers, at the moment Student Finance will give you a full loan for one of those degrees, it doesn't matter if you've had one before (that probably won't always be the case though). The NHS used to pay for it separately but that changes this year, so you'll get a student loan but you'll at least get a full one covering all years of the course.
Or if you don't want to do nursing you could become an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) that helps out in the theaters during surgeries, I know that Birmingham City University offers a 2 year course in this which gives you a diploma, other universities probably offer it too but they may offer full degrees only, look into that if you're interested (it's a really good career - here's a video of someone that did it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871awZEO0RE). Healthcare courses like this and nursing give you placements as part of their course so as long as you do well you'll pretty much be guaranteed a job afterwards because you've been given experience as part of the course. You might need to do some voluntary work to get some experience first.

I'd recommend the apprenticeship route though if you can get on one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by catinsomehat
Which course were you doing?

Why did you fail?
You need to think about this so it doesn't affect you later on.

You can still apply for jobs, you can also go back and do a different degree if you want to, unfortunately Student Finance only pays for 3 years and they give an extra 'gift' year as well, so 4 years total.
If you've already had a student loan for 2 years you'll get another 2 years. Don't worry, you've still got a lot of options.

When applying to jobs you may have to work for really low pay at first and then work your way up to a better paying job. You need the experience though, so just do it.
You can also apply for an apprenticeship somewhere, this might be a good option for you as you'll be able to earn money and study at the same time. You can become an electrician or plumber in this way. Self-employed plumbers earn a lot of money :smile: You can go into a lot of different fields in this way.

If you don't want to do that what you could do is get a job and make some money and then save up for that extra year, also instead of going back to a different uni and course maybe you could do a HNC or HND instead at a college while working? This way after 1 or 2 years you'll have a qualification that you can actually show and then if you want to you can go to a uni for a top up year or two which will give you a full degree in that subject. If you want to do that I'd recommend going for a STEM degree as you may find it easier to find a better paying job afterwards.
You could also apply for nursing or another healthcare degree that the NHS covers, at the moment Student Finance will give you a full loan for one of those degrees, it doesn't matter if you've had one before (that probably won't always be the case though). The NHS used to pay for it separately but that changes this year, so you'll get a student loan but you'll at least get a full one covering all years of the course.
Or if you don't want to do nursing you could become an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) that helps out in the theaters during surgeries, I know that Birmingham City University offers a 2 year course in this which gives you a diploma, other universities probably offer it too (it's a really good career - here's a video of someone that did it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871awZEO0RE). Healthcare courses like this and nursing give you placements as part of their course so as long as you do well you'll pretty much be guaranteed a job afterwards because you've been given experience as part of the course. You might need to do some voluntary work to get some experience first.

I'd recommend the apprenticeship route though if you can get on one.

i studied accounting and finance, before uni i had done an accounting and finance course, i got 70+ % on everything accounting and finance related, apart from economics, which i had never done before and i had to pass a level, level economics which was near impossible
I contacted student finance, they said i have to fund the first year of any course i want to do as i failed twice, i failed due to depression and bullying which made me suicidal and unable to leave my house over the 2 years
i dont ever want to go back into education i have no aspirations apart from making it day to day
i applied for lots of jobs of all kinds, retail, bookeeper, customer service, cleaning, refuse collector just everything, most ask for a reference which i dont have, and how would i explain my 2 years that are missing on my cv, if i say i tried and failed is it possible im less likely to get the job?
Original post by subzero6661
am i now less likely to be able to get a job after failing uni? how do i explain what ive been doing for the past 2 years as i have gained no work experience or qualifications in this time.. would they be put off by me trying and failing uni

Apply for jobs that don't care whether you've got a degree or not. You don't have to leave your time at University off your CV you studied and left before completing your degree, that's all. You need to look forward, not backwards, and work out what you can do, not what you can't, and what your skills and interests are, not what they aren't. The majority of jobs don't need degrees, so you are equipped to do a lot of different things.
Is there a relative, maybe an aunt or uncle that perhaps owns their own business? Perhaps you could ask them if you could help out in their business and learn the ropes. They would also then be able to give you a Reference. Or perhaps contact your local Volunteer Bureau and see if you could volunteer for around two or three hours a week? It would give you some experience and again, i'm sure after around 6 months of knowing you, the Manager/Supervisor would be happy to supply a Reference for you. If you are really stuck for References do what my sister did. She hadn't worked for over 10 years due to severe mental health problems. She wanted to apply for a job in a care home. They only needed one Reference . That's where I came in. She lives in Manchester and I live in Northern Ireland. We have different surnames. I wrote a Reference on her behalf, pretending I had been the manager of a care home which I closed down voluntarily and this person [my sister] had worked for me for over two years. She was polite, courteous, always on time and very reliable, and I would highly recommend her for the job. On the back of my fake Reference my sister got the job. Yes it was a bit sneaky but it was the only way. We did what we had to do and it paid off. She worked there for years and had no problems.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd go for apprenticeship

There are plenty of jobs that wont require degrees.
It seems pointlss mentioning Uni as they will be more bothered about possible mental health issues.

I did tell you to appeal and also consider making a compelling personal reasons claim to free up some finance, but you dont seem interested.

You cna get a reference from anyone pre uni i.e school or college.
You can also get a character reference from a family friend, preferably a professional.
Good luck op, this was me last year

You'll be fine.*
Reply 7
Original post by *Thedreaming*
Good luck op, this was me last year

You'll be fine.*

did you get kicked out from home? how was it, what did you do? or were your parents supportive? im either going to get kicked out or severly mentally abused as has happened with my brother and after i didnt get pass first year of college.
Original post by subzero6661
did you get kicked out from home? how was it, what did you do? or were your parents supportive? im either going to get kicked out or severly mentally abused as has happened with my brother and after i didnt get pass first year of college.

I did transfer and had to sadly move back home. I'm having a real tough time atm because the parent I do live with is unsupportive of my studies. You could as May as well say I'm on my way to being kicked out too. *

Try to transfer maybe? Away from home? You can claim Cpr fairly easily from Sfe if funding is an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending