The Student Room Group

I don't want to go to my insurance...

When I put it as my insurance I loved the course and uni, but since then I've realised it's really not for me. If I don't get the grades to my firm choice, does this mean I have to go to my insurance uni or can I contact them and be released?

(my plan for if I don't get into my firm is to take a year out and reapply next year)
Original post by picklescamp
When I put it as my insurance I loved the course and uni, but since then I've realised it's really not for me. If I don't get the grades to my firm choice, does this mean I have to go to my insurance uni or can I contact them and be released?

(my plan for if I don't get into my firm is to take a year out and reapply next year)

On results day you'll need to ask them to put you in Clearing. They don't have to, but it's very likely that they'll just release you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Lots of good advice here too :h:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice
Original post by She-Ra
On results day you'll need to ask them to put you in Clearing. They don't have you, but it's very likely they will.

So they can force me to go to their uni?? :eek:

One uni refused to release someone last year - but don't worry, it is extremely unlikely and it's not in their interest to force you into a decision which will mean you'll drop out.
Original post by She-Ra
One uni refused to release someone last year - but don't worry, it is extremely unlikely and it's not in their interest to force you into a decision which will mean you'll drop out.

oh wow, I had no idea! I didnt even apply there for accommodation! Praying I get into my firm so I don't have to go through that :frown:

Its adult education, you're not forced to do anything.
oh wow, I had no idea! I didnt even apply there for accommodation! Praying I get into my firm so I don't have to go through that :frown:

You can't if it's not your firm generally. Most unis will just release you straight up (well once they have a moment) and then you'll be free to reapply for next year :h:

You don't have to wait for results day - phone your insurance now and explain that if your firm reject you then you'd like to go straight into clearing. Ask if they need confirmation in writing to make sure it happens.

Asking on results day is not ideal - it takes time to get through and can take a day or two to show up on Track (meaning if you want to look elsewhere in clearing you have a big delay).

If you're not interested in going anywhere this year then you can just call UCAS and withdraw entirely - UCAS will notify your universities and you're all set to reapply for next year.

What made you do a 180 so quickly - from loving the course and institution to not?
Original post by Trinculo
What made you do a 180 so quickly - from loving the course and institution to not?

I felt very mislead by the open day- they made the course seem flexible and quite high quality. I foolishly put it as my insurance before I went to the offer holders day and when I went I realised that most of the people there were holding BBB offers for the same course and my tour guide got into my course with BBC (my offer was AAB and I expect to get AAA)- the lectures and talks I went to made me realise that the course was not the high quality I expected. They also told us that it was not nearly as flexible as I expected with first year being entirely mandatory (and boring!) modules. Basically I was foolish and rushed into the decision.
Original post by PQ
You don't have to wait for results day - phone your insurance now and explain that if your firm reject you then you'd like to go straight into clearing. Ask if they need confirmation in writing to make sure it happens.

Asking on results day is not ideal - it takes time to get through and can take a day or two to show up on Track (meaning if you want to look elsewhere in clearing you have a big delay).

If you're not interested in going anywhere this year then you can just call UCAS and withdraw entirely - UCAS will notify your universities and you're all set to reapply for next year.

I've been in contact and they said this:

Thank you for your email.The deadline for making amendments to decisions/responses on your application has now passed with UCAS therefore we cannot withdraw you at this stage.We will need to wait until we receive your A-Level results on the 18th August at which point a decision will be made on your application. If you have met your offer you will need to contact us at that point for your application to be withdrawn.If you would like to be released into Clearing you will need to contact you Firm choice in the first instance for this to be done.​ For further details see: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-use-clearing
I've been in contact and they said this:

Thank you for your email.The deadline for making amendments to decisions/responses on your application has now passed with UCAS therefore we cannot withdraw you at this stage.We will need to wait until we receive your A-Level results on the 18th August at which point a decision will be made on your application. If you have met your offer you will need to contact us at that point for your application to be withdrawn.If you would like to be released into Clearing you will need to contact you Firm choice in the first instance for this to be done.​ For further details see: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-use-clearing

They're right that they can't do anything without your results (and what your results are will limit which action they need to take).

I would suggest you reply and state clearly that if your firm rejects you then you will not be taking up your place and would like to be placed into Clearing by the 18th regardless of what your results are (and that they should see this email as a formal request to be held on file until they have your results rather than clogging up their phone lines on the 18th when they will have better things to do).
Original post by She-Ra
On results day you'll need to ask them to put you in Clearing. They don't have to, but it's very likely that they'll just release you.

phone now and ask to be released it can take ages at some places sometimes way over 48 hours.
I felt very mislead by the open day- they made the course seem flexible and quite high quality. I foolishly put it as my insurance before I went to the offer holders day and when I went I realised that most of the people there were holding BBB offers for the same course and my tour guide got into my course with BBC (my offer was AAB and I expect to get AAA)- the lectures and talks I went to made me realise that the course was not the high quality I expected. They also told us that it was not nearly as flexible as I expected with first year being entirely mandatory (and boring!) modules. Basically I was foolish and rushed into the decision.

If you still hold SPS at York as your insurance, are all first-year modules really mandatory? Don't you get a choice in one of them?
Reply 15
literally in the same position as you! regret having an insurance choice altogether because if I don't meet my firm offer, trying to get my insurance to release me into clearing is going to be such added stress! I phoned UCAS a few days ago and they said there wasn't anything I could do as the deadline has passed, may consider ringing my insurance choice a few days before results day so I can try and put myself in better stead for clearing if I need it
If you don't meet your offer, ergo gaining a place at your firm, then tough luck-beggars can't be choosers-you may have to go to your insurance, And what's the point in reapplying if you don't get your insurance. That'll mean that ship has sailed, and yoiu'll never flag it down-unless you pick 5 completely different unis and get a place at somewhere you would like.

Quick Reply

Latest