The Student Room Group

Black Lives Matter movement 'needed in UK'

Scroll to see replies

I don't think that we can deny the need for a BLM movement in the UK just because we have not personally witnessed/been affected by racism.
Blacks are not being mass killed by police in USA and certainly not in the UK.

But this is how many in BLM want to see it. They think they're unsafe, they can't walk the streets without being killed by the evil racist Police. I think they need to put these deaths into prospective and remember not all of them are simply a case of police murdering Black people and the deaths are but a drop in the ocean when you look at all the civilian Black on Black deaths.

So they naturally lash out at those who they believe are doing this to them. There's also anti-White sentiments that go along with this, as many jump to the conclusion that the Police are always White which isn't the case especially these days in American inner cities.

Lets look at killing by police in the UK in the last few years

Single killings

James Wilson (29 March 2016 in South Shields, Northumbria) White
Jermaine Baker (11 December 2015 in Wood Green, London) mixed or Black
Richard Davies (21st October 2015 in St Neots, Cambridgeshire) White
James Fox (30 August 2015 in London, England) Unknown
Dean Joseph (5 September 2014 in London, England) Black
Anthony Grainger (3 March 2012 in Cheshire, England) White

A brief reading up above the above deaths many deserved it with one being a little suspect.

Before that in 2011 we had Mark Duggan of course...
Just to piggyback onto the mention of Nottingham, on Friday (or Saturday, I can't remember) there was a demonstration by the EDL in the centre of town. If you don't know what the EDL is, it stands for the English Defence League, a group of people who believe that anyone not white should leave the country as they're polluting the English culture. They're incredibly racist and were chanting racist slurs at my Pakistani friend who was in the town square at the time of the protest. I understand that there are issues with the BLM movement, but let's not pretend that it's the only movement that preaches hatred or deliberate attacks. I find it incredibly ironic that both movements were active in my city at a similar time, as both of them suggest the necessity of the other.
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Why don't they just move to one of the many fantastic black majority countries out there? :rolleyes:

Yes

There should be some kind of counter campaign to round up all these BLM idiots around Canada/UK/US and send them to Zimbabwe.

I'm sure Robert Mugabe is more in touch with their political goals
Original post by emi.hopkins
The black lives matter movement isn't just about protesting about police brutality, it's a lot more than that, and trust me, the movement is needed here too. We may be a lot more accepting as a country than the US are, but that doesn't mean racism against the black race isn't still happening here. Just read up at some of the ignorant comments made on this post already, for example yours.

I've witnessed my best friend experience racism first hand, and I saw it at my school and college, which is totally inappropriate, and wrong. There are issues that exist here too.

You might not need BLM, because I assume you're white (Due to the fact you seem blind to the issues many people face). But how dare you speak on behalf of all the black people in our country who may have experienced prejudice, and state that "We" don't need the movement. You are not a part of that We.

But can you justify why BLM is needed? Unless you introduce some sort of highly authoritarian state-sponsored mind control, racism will always be present. There will always be a few *******s who will shout racist slurs in the streets. Just like there will always be criminals. You can never eradicate these social cancers completely. All we can do is minimse systemic racism to a reasonable extent and discourage these behaviors in the general population as much as reason dictates, which has been done in the UK. All BLM are doing here are pissing people off and dividing the population along racial boundaries. In the US they campaign for segregation, call for the murder of policemen and promote hatred against whites. They do nothing to help black lives.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jess_x
I don't think that we can deny the need for a BLM movement in the UK just because we have not personally witnessed/been affected by racism.

Agreed. We can deny the need for a BLM movement in the UK because there isn't a significant problem of innocent black people (or any people for that matter) being killed by the police in the UK.
Original post by blue2337
Just to piggyback onto the mention of Nottingham, on Friday (or Saturday, I can't remember) there was a demonstration by the EDL in the centre of town. If you don't know what the EDL is, it stands for the English Defence League, a group of people who believe that anyone not white should leave the country as they're polluting the English culture. They're incredibly racist and were chanting racist slurs at my Pakistani friend who was in the town square at the time of the protest. I understand that there are issues with the BLM movement, but let's not pretend that it's the only movement that preaches hatred or deliberate attacks. I find it incredibly ironic that both movements were active in my city at a similar time, as both of them suggest the necessity of the other.

Well, the distinction between the EDL and BLM is that the EDL is very widely condemned as a bad group that do preach hatred and the rest of it. BLM on the other hand is purported to be a reasonable justified group with reasonable goals and actions. We don't need to point out what the EDL is doing wrong to point out what BLM is doing wrong at any rate, but especially not when the consensus is already there for the EDL to the point that it doesn't need mentioning.
The black lives matter movement isn't just about protesting about police brutality, it's a lot more than that, and trust me, the movement is needed here too. We may be a lot more accepting as a country than the US are, but that doesn't mean racism against the black race isn't still happening here. Just read up at some of the ignorant comments made on this post already, for example yours.

I've witnessed my best friend experience racism first hand, and I saw it at my school and college, which is totally inappropriate, and wrong. There are issues that exist here too.

You might not need BLM, because I assume you're white (Due to the fact you seem blind to the issues many people face). But how dare you speak on behalf of all the black people in our country who may have experienced prejudice, and state that "We" don't need the movement. You are not a part of that We.

What is it that the current anti-racist movements in the UK don't provide that you believe BLM would?
Original post by Grand High Witch
What is it that the current anti-racist movements in the UK don't provide that you believe BLM would?

With all the progress it's making in America It's much more known to everyone than other anti-racism movements so therefore has a wider audience to communicate the issues that black people face
With all the progress it's making in America It's much more known to everyone than other anti-racism movements so therefore has a wider audience to communicate the issues that black people face

There are plenty of anti-racist organisations/movements in the UK without the same controversy attached to them. What is wrong with them? What are they not doing that BLM in the UK will do? I'm not sure I agree that more widely known = inherently better.
(edited 7 years ago)

What issues are these, exactly?

Unemployment among black and other minority groups accounts for one fifth of all youth unemployment. (source)

"Black men are also disproportionately the victims of violent crime in the capital. " (source)

What exactly is the BLM doing to address these issues? If the American model is anything to go by, I'm guessing nothing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oops wrong thread! ^_^
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by limetang
Agreed. We can deny the need for a BLM movement in the UK because there isn't a significant problem of innocent black people (or any people for that matter) being killed by the police in the UK.

No not at all, quite the opposite- we need the movement!!Just because we don't have experience of discrimination against black people, to us or to people we know where we live, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or doesn't need to be dealt with. It's absolutely urgent that incidents of racism and microraggressions are brought to light so that we truly become colour-blind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending