The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nomophobia
Lol what about the QR section on the UKCAT? Fair enough, I see where you're coming from, have you booked a place though and if so, when? I'm struggling the most with the AR section, those shapes can go to hell for all I care :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The QR section was my lowest last year! I need to work on it the most :smile: AR was my best section- my main advice would be to keep practising, try and be systematic (make a mnemonic to remember how to go through each pattern in terms of shape, colour, sides etc). Also, I found AR to be a lot easier in the real thing :smile:
Original post by CaitlinN15
Everyone with SQA results are doing so well...as I'm going to Scottish unis it's making me terrified now that clearing will go quickly etc etc :facepalm:
Posted from TSR Mobile

This is my fear and I'm not even applying to a Scottish uni. I imagine it's a way worse for you.

But I'll still be checking 10x a day to make sure my course is still in clearing. If it goes then I'll know it's gg for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know how humanities exams would be marked under the new remark system? I really can’t figure out how the change is going to work out for essay-based subjects. If their point is to remove subjectivity because reviewers have been lenient and been ‘finding marks to give’ (in their definition, ‘the exercise of academic judgement’), then I see a massive ‘bug’ here.

I don’t see how it’s possible for essay-based subjects like Geography to be marked without ‘the exercise of academic judgement’. The rewarding of a mark is always somebody’s judgement. This is because the mark schemes are only ‘indicative content’ and ‘descriptors’ of levels; and then within each level there is a range of marks that can be given.
Things as small as whether to give a 10-marker 6 or 7/10 is a subjective judgement or ‘feel’ on its own already: both marks are Level 2, then what differentiates the two?
Does it depend on how many of the bullet-points in the ‘indicative content’ they have hit?
Or does it depend on how many of the descriptors they have met?
Don’t the descriptors themselves have a ranking of importance (e.g. ‘cogent argument’ weighs more than ‘carefully structured’)?
Does this mean that if an answer is not ‘cogent’ but is ‘carefully structured’, then it’d be 6/10; and if it’s ‘cogent’ but less structured, then it’d get 7/10?
Now then who defines ‘cogent’ or ‘carefully’?
If there are discrepancies between the marker and the reviewer, even if the reviewer has found evidence in the answer for it to get 7/10 instead of the initial 6, then will this be dismissed as ‘subjective judgement’ under the new system? (That 1-mark difference between a 6 and a 7 is worth 2-3 UMS in a 120 UMS paper, and that can mean an increase of a grade if it's at the boundary.)

Here’s where it doesn’t make sense to me: the entire marking, be it the initial one or the remark, can’t possibly be done without someone’s qualitative ‘judgement’. This has already gone to show that there is no way to quantify anything at all; even for more knowledge-based humanities exams, under all of the 4 or 5-markers there is a small line saying ‘accept any reasonable ideas’. No one can stick to the mark scheme 100% and at the same time mark a humanities paper FAIRLY.
So doesn’t this new system make things even more unfair, as it implies in their definition that a ‘marking error’ is when the ‘criteria against which a Learner’s performance is differentiated’ is not applied, i.e. the mark scheme is not applied?
The ‘application’ of the mark scheme for a humanities exam includes applying that line ‘accept any reasonable ideas’ as well. If a reviewer sees a ‘reasonable’ point (in his ‘own judgement’, again) in an answer and gives that candidate extra credit, then who is to judge whether that is a correction of a ‘marking error’ (by their very own definition) or ‘leniency’?

Would really appreciate it if someone can explain. :please:
Original post by Serine Soul
I'm genuinely hoping that my interview scores are high and my background is bad enough for them to let me in with A*AA :cry2:
But in reality, they over offer and expect people to miss them. It'll be so awful if I miss mine

The over offer thing explains why as a law applicant I was offered A*A*A when the standard offer is only A*AA :frown: I was hoping they would still let me with 1 A* but I suppose they want to reduce numbers so probably not

:sadnod:
Nerves are kicking in.
Original post by Remaine
Nerves are kicking in.

I can't believe how quickly the day is approaching :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know that when you ring up on results day, the unis are aware of your grades but not your ums scores. Would they care about ums or just the grades? It would be so awful to miss out by a few ums.
Hi

My offer is A*AA with the A* required in maths. However I have a question. If my track doesnt update before I get my results it could imply that they haven't made a decision with my application. So if I get my results and say i get AAA and I was off the A* in maths by 1/2 UMS should I ring my uni to tell them this if they haven't made a decision already? Would it help my case if they haven't decided on my application?
Hi .My offer is A*AA with the A* required in maths. However I have a question. If my track doesnt update before I get my results it could imply that they haven't made a decision with my application. So if I get my results and say i get AAA and I was off the A* in maths by 1/2 UMS should I ring my uni to tell them this if they haven't made a decision already? Would it help my case if they haven't decided on my application?
Original post by ninjass
Hi .My offer is A*AA with the A* required in maths. However I have a question. If my track doesnt update before I get my results it could imply that they haven't made a decision with my application. So if I get my results and say i get AAA and I was off the A* in maths by 1/2 UMS should I ring my uni to tell them this if they haven't made a decision already? Would it help my case if they haven't decided on my application?

They may still let you in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
I can't believe how quickly the day is approaching :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, I feel that.
We can actually say results day is next Thursday.
Before you know it, we'll be saying it's tomorrow.
Original post by thevamps99xo
They may still let you in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true - they may let me in without knowledge of my UMS. However is it worth telling them my UMS in this scenario if they haven't decided yet?
Original post by Remaine
Exactly, I feel that.
We can actually say results day is next Thursday.
Before you know it, we'll be saying it's tomorrow.

It feels like only yesterday that we started Year 12....

If this year went fast, I wonder how quickly Year 13 is going to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're probably sitting there deciding to raise grade boundaries right this very moment...
Need GBBO in my life at times like this 😫
I still can't believe how quick this was gone. It feels like yesterday that I was complaining of having to wait 4 months (!!) for m German speaking exam results lmao.
Original post by Windies
They're probably sitting there deciding to raise grade boundaries right this very moment...

I feel like I'm going to go mad the day before, checking what I need for the grades I'm aiming for. So I'm going to make it my goal to not check the grade boundaries..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notanooblol
I know that when you ring up on results day, the unis are aware of your grades but not your ums scores. Would they care about ums or just the grades? It would be so awful to miss out by a few ums.

The only time UMS matters is either
a) your university has told you to let them know about UMS (cambridge do this)
or
b) you're getting a priority remark
Reply 2858
Original post by Windies

Grades are set, boundries done, marks known. UCAS gets them in 2 days time and then it's all done. The unstoppable ball is rolling.
Original post by ninjass

If your offer is still conditional then ring ASAP. If they ask about UMS mention it - but it isn't likely to make a big difference unless you're getting a remark

Quick Reply

Latest