The Student Room Group

How many TC rounds and applications did it take you to get a TC?

Hi guys!

In light of the possibility I may not get a TC this round I am just curious, to those who have TCs, how many years/application rounds and applications themselves did it take you to get a TC?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It took me two years/rounds of applying, with probably around 50 combined vac scheme and TC applications. Looking back my first round was a pretty embarrassing attempt.

It's amazing how much difference a year can make.
4 years since graduating

Tried half-heatedly first round, second year travelling so missed it, last round and this summer before getting one.

From memory...

Applied for roughly 8 firms:
- 3 final round AC
- 1 initial interview
- 4 PFOs

I took a long, long time on each app so I don't believe it's a numbers game - I did poorly at Uni!
Original post by O'Doyle Rules
4 years since graduating

Tried half-heatedly first round, second year travelling so missed it, last round and this summer before getting one.

From memory...

Applied for roughly 8 firms:
- 3 final round AC
- 1 initial interview
- 4 PFOs

I took a long, long time on each app so I don't believe it's a numbers game - I did poorly at Uni!

You applied to just 8 firms across 4 years?
Original post by ULawAJ
It took me two years/rounds of applying, with probably around 50 combined vac scheme and TC applications. Looking back my first round was a pretty embarrassing attempt.

Thanks for your reply - did you get a TC with the same type of firm as you were looking for? e.g. Local firm, City firm, SC, MC, US or did you set your sights at firms that were easier to get in to than your initial desired firms after your first year?
Reply 5
Original post by MrLintonJones
Thanks for your reply - did you get a TC with the same type of firm as you were looking for? e.g. Local firm, City firm, SC, MC, US or did you set your sights at firms that were easier to get in to than your initial desired firms after your first year?

I didn't lower my sights, it was the same type of firm as the previous year. :smile:
Original post by ULawAJ
I didn't lower my sights, it was the same type of firm as the previous year. :smile:

Ok, thanks a lot. That gives me hope!
Congrats :biggrin:
I've been fortunate enough to secure a TC in my first round of applications. To be honest though, I've been very focused since the beginning of first year, which helped massively.

For me, once you have attended open days, have decent relevant work experience and have demonstrated you match key competencies through your EC activities and part-time work you'll secure a TC - it's just all about when you get to that point!

Overall I made 5 applications for vac schemes, secured 2 and secured my TC through the schemes.
Original post by MrLintonJones
You applied to just 8 firms across 4 years?

But I traveled the world
I'm unusual - I got the only TC I applied for
I also got lucky enough to secure a TC on my first round of apps - applied to about 6 schemes, 3 interviews and 3 vac schemes, 2 offers and am in the process of turning down the third vac scheme.

As a second-year non-law student though I pretty much dedicated two terms of second year to applications, which wasn't amazing for my grades.
I just secured one this year, after 2 rounds of applications but over 3 years (I didn't make any applications last year but I did the year before that and this year). Looking back on the first round of applications I made is pretty cringeworthy, they were terrible. I really went all out this year and I'm so pleased that it was finally rewarded.
Reply 12
Fortunate enough to have got TCs in first round of applications at my top choices as a second year law student.

Applied for 6 vac schemes at US/MC firms, 4 interviews, 4 vac scheme offers (declined 1 offer though) and subsequently got 3 TCs.

From my experience it can be a tough process but if you are able to network well, make contacts at the firms you are applying to, research the firms properly, spend effort participating in a variety of extra curriculars and open days/work experience/internships - both in and outside of law firms - along with keeping grades at the 2:1 level, you should be in a great position to get interviews.

Once you get to interview stage that all goes out the window and it's about your personality, ability to articulate your thoughts well and being switched on commercially that will get you the offers.
Original post by ULawAJ

What enhanced your applications in a year?
Reply 14
Original post by hodgey111
What enhanced your applications in a year?

A combination of different things!

I worked as a paralegal for a year in a corporate department, which I think is the main part. It helped me gain a lot of very useful commercial experience.

I also got involved with a lot of different things outside of work and study, I ran a business networking group in my local area etc.

Other than that I just grew up a bit and was more focused on what I really wanted, rather than just being a student drinking 5 nights a week.
Reply 15
I don't actually have a TC, but have done three schemes at top firms, so only have myself to blame for not having one. I think if you follow SJU1's advice, you're set. However, I would say always keep focus on your academics. I would say for top firms, they are the single most important aspect of your application. I would say my profile is pretty strong, aside from university academics, and they are a real barrier.

I also think people massively underestimate the value of networking. I know people with below par marks (low 2.2s) who have managed to get offers/interviews at MC firms, due to their aggressive networking capabilities.
Original post by ULawAJ

Other than that I just grew up a bit and was more focused on what I really wanted, rather than just being a student drinking 5 nights a week.

I think this is a key point, you have to really want it, else you will just keep falling at either the application stage, interview stage, or vacation scheme stage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Got my offer in my third cycle. It wasn't until halfway through my second round that I really knew what I was doing when it came to writing applications.*
Original post by SJU1
Fortunate enough to have got TCs in first round of applications at my top choices as a second year law student.

Applied for 6 vac schemes at US/MC firms, 4 interviews, 4 vac scheme offers (declined 1 offer though) and subsequently got 3 TCs.

From my experience it can be a tough process but if you are able to network well, make contacts at the firms you are applying to, research the firms properly, spend effort participating in a variety of extra curriculars and open days/work experience/internships - both in and outside of law firms - along with keeping grades at the 2:1 level, you should be in a great position to get interviews.

Once you get to interview stage that all goes out the window and it's about your personality, ability to articulate your thoughts well and being switched on commercially that will get you the offers.

I think the ability to write a good application is often overlooked. I once occupied a position in which I was reviewing applications (not for TC roles, but nevertheless written by LLB students), and it becomes obvious from that side of the table that a lot of people don't spend time thinking about why a particular application question is being asked.*
Reply 18
Similarly was fortunate enough to have secured a TC after one round of applications.

Applied to 10 schemes
6 interviews
4 scheme offers (turned down one)
One TC offer at the end.

Completely agree with SJU1, networking and just getting your face out there is so important. The interviews I got were with firms that I went to presentations and met the people from the firm. I cannot stress enough how valuable those events are and being able to say on an application form, 'I met Joe Bloggs, who is a trainee who said X,y,z that really appealed to me..'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick health warning though - speak to the people you are networking with as a person rather than an opportunity. It's easy to spot people who are pushing an agenda a mile off, and that will just annoy and have a negative impact.

Also, please do pay attention to everything they say. I once did a law fair and someone insisted in giving me his CV. I said there was no point because that isn't how we recruit and there would be no way to tie it to the application anyway and still he put it on the table and said "well, I'll just leave this here". All that did was gave me a CV to laugh at on the journey home (jt was really bad) and the knowledge that he was a tool and if he did manage to get a training contract I wouldn't work with him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending