The Student Room Group

Graduate entry Vet Med

I am just going in to my second year of my degree (Bsc hons Bioveterinary Science) and I am hoping to be applying to Graduate entry Vet Med in a years time. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about fees or funding for a second degree (I understand that this is difficult to get), what the different universities are that do this course and also what work experience people have got before applying.

Many thanks in advance!
Original post by emilywilson0206
I am just going in to my second year of my degree (Bsc hons Bioveterinary Science) and I am hoping to be applying to Graduate entry Vet Med in a years time. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about fees or funding for a second degree (I understand that this is difficult to get), what the different universities are that do this course and also what work experience people have got before applying.

Many thanks in advance!

Hey,

I did Biovet science and I've just finished my second year of vet school.
Basically funding wise, there isn't any. You do get a maintenance loan, but student finance will not pay for your tuition fees at all. There are two universities who do the graduate course which is 4 years long, but Edinburgh costs are shocking which only really leave RVC and Slovakia if you wanted to go abroad to do the course. All the other universities are the capped £9000 a year.
Each uni most likely does do a hardship fund, but this can't be used for fees, but you can use your maintenance loan for fees and the hardship fund to live off, you've just got to be a bit crafty about it.
There are bursaries and grants you can apply for from different companies you just have to search around. BVA I think have a list of these if you google it, and you have to apply to them and some require interviews. You basically just have to put a lot of effort in to trying to find sponsors as such. Apart from these methods there isn't much else you can get funding wise, bank loans will bankrupt you upon graduation if they do decide to give you one, and a lot of my graduate friends have donations from family and also work during holidays to save to pay for the following years fees.

Work experience wise, I had I think over 52 weeks worth, and I worked as a vet nurse for a year in between my degree and getting into vet school. As long as you've covered what they require you'll be fine, but Liverpool for example expect you to have done more and are quite big on work exp.

RVC do not require grad students to do the BMAT, so I'd definitely recommend applying to the 4 year course there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
Hey,

I did Biovet science and I've just finished my second year of vet school.
Basically funding wise, there isn't any. You do get a maintenance loan, but student finance will not pay for your tuition fees at all. There are two universities who do the graduate course which is 4 years long, but Edinburgh costs are shocking which only really leave RVC and Slovakia if you wanted to go abroad to do the course. All the other universities are the capped £9000 a year.
Each uni most likely does do a hardship fund, but this can't be used for fees, but you can use your maintenance loan for fees and the hardship fund to live off, you've just got to be a bit crafty about it.
There are bursaries and grants you can apply for from different companies you just have to search around. BVA I think have a list of these if you google it, and you have to apply to them and some require interviews. You basically just have to put a lot of effort in to trying to find sponsors as such. Apart from these methods there isn't much else you can get funding wise, bank loans will bankrupt you upon graduation if they do decide to give you one, and a lot of my graduate friends have donations from family and also work during holidays to save to pay for the following years fees.

Work experience wise, I had I think over 52 weeks worth, and I worked as a vet nurse for a year in between my degree and getting into vet school. As long as you've covered what they require you'll be fine, but Liverpool for example expect you to have done more and are quite big on work exp.

RVC do not require grad students to do the BMAT, so I'd definitely recommend applying to the 4 year course there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that is so helpful. I was considering taking a year out in between degrees to work and save up some money in between if need be!
I'll tell you what I'm doing (applying for 2018 entry).
I'm saving as much as I can now, and hopefully that + the maintenance loan will cover the fees.
Living cost wise -> Part time job + Parents support.

I guess the job would have to be flexible, as you need time to do EMS and stuff so as Lizzie said it's still worth looking into bursaries and grants etc. I'm self-employed so I don't have that problem, but there are many places that are flexible (with McDonalds being the most popular :wink: )

Gap year is also a good idea, and I'll be considering it myself if I don't manage to save enough money :smile:
I work at anfield football ground part time and it gives me about £70 every 2 weeks ish which helps and doesn't interfere with the degree, I tell them when I can and can't work which is great

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending