The Student Room Group

I'm at uni, he's at home. Tips?

I'm going to uni this year around 2 hours away (by train) from my home town and my boyfriend who is finishing his A-Levels. I was just wondering what everyone's advice would be?
I'm worried about feelings fading if we don't see each other much as well as how often to see each other. I don't think we'll be able to do more than once a month, if that, and it's obviously going to have an impact on us.
I'm also sad about missing out on his last year at sixth form and I do often feel left out of things because I'm not there and he's doing stuff with his friends whilst I can't do much at all with him. How do you deal with this?
I'm also quite insecure so I'm worried he'll be more attracted to a new year 12 or a girl in his year than me and since he'll see them more he'll develop feelings for them.
I guess everything is really worrying me about leaving home for the first time, especially knowing I'm leaving him behind. Any tips for this sort of situation are welcome!
Try to FaceTime/Skype each other as much as you can, i know it's not the same as seeing each other face to face but at least it's something. Also if he loved you that much he will be supportive of you and won't be looking around for another girls just because your not there, i totally understand your insecurities though but don't let it take over your mind, you'll have a lot more things to worry about and concentrate on once you start uni. Also 2 hours actually isn't that much, you could see each other weekends and during the holidays! Also when you do see him you'll be more excited than usual as you aren't seeing him as much (if that makes sense, i hope it does) Try and focus your attention on uni at the moment, this kind of worrying won't help or change the situation. Thats the best bit of advice i can give!
Reply 2
Original post by Laurajayne1
Try to FaceTime/Skype each other as much as you can, i know it's not the same as seeing each other face to face but at least it's something. Also if he loved you that much he will be supportive of you and won't be looking around for another girls just because your not there, i totally understand your insecurities though but don't let it take over your mind, you'll have a lot more things to worry about and concentrate on once you start uni. Also 2 hours actually isn't that much, you could see each other weekends and during the holidays! Also when you do see him you'll be more excited than usual as you aren't seeing him as much (if that makes sense, i hope it does) Try and focus your attention on uni at the moment, this kind of worrying won't help or change the situation. Thats the best bit of advice i can give!

Thanks for the advice!
I know 2 hours isn't much, but the train tickets can cost upwards of £40 or £50 for a return so we won't be able to see each other often :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to uni this year around 2 hours away (by train) from my home town and my boyfriend who is finishing his A-Levels. I was just wondering what everyone's advice would be?
I'm worried about feelings fading if we don't see each other much as well as how often to see each other. I don't think we'll be able to do more than once a month, if that, and it's obviously going to have an impact on us.
I'm also sad about missing out on his last year at sixth form and I do often feel left out of things because I'm not there and he's doing stuff with his friends whilst I can't do much at all with him. How do you deal with this?
I'm also quite insecure so I'm worried he'll be more attracted to a new year 12 or a girl in his year than me and since he'll see them more he'll develop feelings for them.
I guess everything is really worrying me about leaving home for the first time, especially knowing I'm leaving him behind. Any tips for this sort of situation are welcome!

Every couple goes through this. Tell him how you feel and make sure that there is trust between you two. If he really does love you then he will also make an effort w you to communicate whilst your at Uni. But PLEASE do not let this distract from Uni. It'll make things worse. I'd say prioritse Uni over your Bf. If he does cheat or find another girl, just remember that it's his loss and you'll probably find another guy at Uni, so hang in there! :smile:

p.s I've never been in a relationship before so I can't say much.
Reply 4
Make sure uni is the highest of your priorities. Also, you're young and relationships come and go so don't get too caught up in one whilst you're young.

More constructive feedback is make sure you trust each other and make time to talk.
Reply 5

Focus on going to Uni and enjoying yourself. You might find that you naturally move on because you're having such a good time, in which case you have nothing to worry about.

Focus on what you want and carve your own destiny.
Thanks for the advice!
I know 2 hours isn't much, but the train tickets can cost upwards of £40 or £50 for a return so we won't be able to see each other often :frown:

It will all work out in the end, you'll see :smile: You'll be looking at this thread again in 6 months time thinking 'why the hell was i so worried about this?' Just let things happen as they naturally would. Also i'd like to quickly say-- My cousin had a girlfriend who went away to uni for three years (they were about 4 hours apart in distance) and now 6 years later they're married and have 2 kids! (not saying this is going to be you btw hahaha) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending