The Student Room Group

Do Graduation Costs Put Students Off Attending?

With Graduation costs being high due to tickets/gown hire/travel costs / pictures etc, are you put off attending?

I would be interested to hear how people feel about this as I know the costs will vary at each university.

For those who are graduating this year congrats and all the best for the future!
Original post by cntblue
With Graduation costs being high due to tickets/gown hire/travel costs / pictures etc, are you put off attending?

I would be interested to hear how people feel about this as I know the costs will vary at each university.

For those who are graduating this year congrats and all the best for the future!

I spent £50 on mine and it didnt really put me off,as its a one time cost really.
Original post by cntblue

I wasn't at all, I wanted a chance to see people & the campus again, gave the end of my degrees some kind of finality (I did an undergrad & masters) plus I knew my Mum wanted me to go. The tickets were free, my Mum drove me and paid for my gown hire & pictures.
Reply 3
You spend at least £27,000 on tuition fees alone and the cost of graduation is probably about £100 on average with the tickets and the gown.

I know it's definitely worth it
I guess it might be a problem for some people if they've really run out of money and parents don't have much. My graduation was probably £50 for gown hire, there were no other obligatory costs but both my parents spent around £20 on petrol to drive up, I got a new dress (£60), we went for a meal on the day (£15 a head for lunch and £25 a head for dinner - my parents are divorced so had to do separately!) and I got an official photo and souvenir for myself (probably £50). I guess I only had to pay £50 (plus my parents petrol) but it's not a cheap day however it is a one off and after 3 years of work I certainly felt like I deserved to enjoy it!
Thanks for your replies!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending