The Student Room Group

''Women's Studies is a load of rubbish!''

Does anybody on TSR actually study it? If you do please post below what it's like to study and what it actually entails
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You're not actually going to argue for womens studies are you? Because if you are then I might just have to find another planet to live on.Perhaps one where there is intelligent life.
Original post by Robby2312
You're not actually going to argue for womens studies are you? Because if you are then I might just have to find another planet to live on.Perhaps one where there is intelligent life.

I'm asking if anybody on TSR has studied it.
Reply 3
Its a stupid degree though. I'm not saying it's useless because 70% of grad jobs don't need a specific degree anyway so it's as employable as most non-vocational degrees, but it just seems stupid that anyone would want to study women and feminism.
Reply 4
What I find funny is people who study it complaining that more women aren't in STEM
Original post by Trapz99
Its a stupid degree though. I'm not saying it's useless because 70% of grad jobs don't need a specific degree anyway so it's as employable as most non-vocational degrees, but it just seems stupid that anyone would want to study women and feminism.

I'm not defending it or anything but how is it any more stupid than say, studying theology or philosophy? Surely studying something that is actually real as opposed to studying what can be in essence, described as mythology (if you are an atheist) less stupid?
Original post by Trapz99

Is it though? Subjects like History or Classics at least entail some kind of academic rigour. Women's studies is an unknown so I feel would be less valued by general graduate employers.
I would presume it's like a sociology course with a lot of compulsory feminist thought and philosophy modules, a bit of social policy here and there
Reply 8
Original post by AngryRedhead
You'd only know that if you have studied it surely? :wink:

I thought you did Economics?

PPE Undergrad :wink:
Why can't you all just mind your own business? What does it have to do with anyone here who studies what?Are those calling other people's studies rubbish paying the course fees? No you are not? There is far too much snobbery in the student community between universities and who studies what? The arrogance here is astounding and am sick of these types of threads. Like children in a playground. Grow up!
Original post by 41b
PPE Undergrad :wink:

Okay so not Women's Studies then? I asked for people studying it to comment, not undergrads of other subjects
Reply 11
Original post by seamus123
why can't you all just mind your own business? What does it have to do with anyone here who studies what?are those calling other people's studies rubbish paying the course fees? No you are not? There is far too much snobbery in the student community between universities and who studies what? The arrogance here is astounding and am sick of these types of threads. Like children in a playground. Grow up!

triggered
Original post by Seamus123
Why can't you all just mind your own business? What does it have to do with anyone here who studies what?Are those calling other people's studies rubbish paying the course fees? No you are not? There is far too much snobbery in the student community between universities and who studies what? The arrogance here is astounding and am sick of these types of threads. Like children in a playground. Grow up!

I have to agree Seamus, I'm trying to establish what it involves and if anyone who knocks it actually studies it and as of present my thread has been overtaken by immature little boys.
Original post by Trinculo
I would presume it's like a sociology course with a lot of compulsory feminist thought and philosophy modules, a bit of social policy here and there

Do you know this from your own personal experience or the experience of others?
Is there literally nobody on TSR who has done WS? I find this difficult to believe
is it really that difficult to believe?
Original post by fksociety
is it really that difficult to believe?

Considering this is a student forum with 3.4 million registered users, yes, I do find it hard to believe. Mere probability would suggest that at least a fraction of those registered users may study it or have studied it in the past
Original post by Washington.
BA (Hons) Women Studies Curriculum:

Year 1
Hair
Year 2
Nails
Year 3
Makeup

Ah ha.. AH HAHAHA

Spoiler

Reply 18
didn't know women studies was a thing.