The Student Room Group

Stop doing terrible degrees!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
Shut up. women's studies and modern feminism are a great choice. when I leave I am going to become a Internet blogger and earn £100's a year

And then complain that there aren't enough women in science.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I feel like this is going to turn into one of those nauseating threads bashing anyone who doesn't do a STEM subject.

This prediction has confidence levels of 90-95%. I think it is going to happen. :frown:
Original post by JamesN88
I didn't say I was in favour of wasting money. However while there's an easy way available of filtering applicants(due to the high number of graduates) to save themselves time and money companies will use it, like some grad schemes use UCAS points.

For them it is. But it's hugely costly to the economy. It's the government's job to stop this practice.
Man doing gender studies degree = highest level of cuckoldery
Original post by Princepieman
This post is quite short sighted. The degree you do is not as important as what you do at university, and by that I mean not bumming around living the uni life but actively seeking opportunities: within the community, networking opportunities, entrepreneurial opportunities, work experience placements/internships, etc.

A common theme in those who end up with no job after graduation is that they didn't bother to do any of the above and thought that a 2:1 in something would lead them into a great job with minimal effort on their part. Truth is, it's not that special anymore.

So no, DO study what you want but be prepared to set yourself up with the right background for whatever job you'd like to eventually land in. 70-80% of grad jobs are non-specifc with regards to subject studied, but they sure as hell will be specific about the other areas of your CV

Caveat emptor: of course research careers before you think about university as some will require a specific professional degree, like Engineering, Medicine, Architecture..

Posted from TSR Mobile

This x 100%.
I know someone that got a First class Engineering degree, with Masters, and has basically been unemployed for over a year. Whereas someone else got a BA in Fashion, 2:2, (at a lower ranked Uni) and is working in a full time job in the make up industry that they're passionate about. Experience and extra curric are important :smile:
Original post by Assan
It's a 'typo, ie a mechanical rather than an orthographic error.

I think you should finish a degree and get some life experience before attempting to use typing errors as evidence of anything other than typing errors.

Can you not take the banter?

Actually, I stand corrected, you did Women's Studies after all.
University in general is a waste of time, unless you want to become an Academic or your field of work requires a degree. People should follow their passion, and not follow the crowd.
Original post by ChemGeek16
Woohoo a future teacher! I'm planning on becoming a teacher too 😊 Any sort of teaching degree isn't useless as without teachers no one else will be doing degrees. What year are you in btw?

I'm in year 12, going into year 13 in September. You?
Reply 168
Original post by TercioOfParma
Can you not take the banter?

Actually, I stand corrected, you did Women's Studies after all.

The systematic oppression of women isn't 'banter'. So don't equate the two.
Original post by enyav

You did a university degree, how the hell are you oppressed?

You degrade the term oppressed. There are people out there properly oppressed when you're completely equal, and in some cases treated better than men.
Original post by enyav

Women in the Saudi Arabia are oppressed.
Reply 171
Original post by YaliaV
Women in the Saudi Arabia are oppressed. You're just a self-indulgent whiner.

lol did you even read what I wrote? the person above was insinuating that those who study gender studies (women, mainly) cannot take 'banter' and my point is that the systematic oppression of women everywhere in the world is something to be taken seriously and not joked about or dismissed. Which is why i'm all for people learning about the wider contribution women have made to society - on all scales. I think you need to learn how to make inferences before you jump to your child-like and petulant conclusions.
Original post by enyav
lol did you even read what I wrote? the person above was insinuating that those who study gender studies (women, mainly) cannot take 'banter' and my point is that the systematic oppression of women everywhere in the world is something to be taken seriously and not joked about or dismissed. Which is why i'm all for people learning about the wider contribution women have made to society - on all scales. I think you need to learn how to make inferences before you jump to your child-like and petulant conclusions.

Except he understood what you said and made a valid response. You aren't oppressed in any way at all.
Reply 173
You did a university degree, how the hell are you oppressed?

You degrade the term oppressed. There are people out there properly oppressed when you're completely equal, and in some cases treated better than men.

looool are you kidding? A) I've not started uni yet, but I'm flattered and it's politics btw, not gender studies. I never said I was oppressed. B) You were taking the p*** out of people who study gender studies (who are mainly women) and saying they can't take the 'banter'. Issues such as domestic violence and free speech for women are not funny and among the most important topics we should be thinking about in the 21st century, and i'm all for fellow women to understand their history and their future by exploring the achievements and downfalls of their fellow women. You completely misinterpreted what I said.
'Bizarre liberal arts discipline'? I want to do the Civil Service fast stream at the Foreign Office and you have to have a degree in a Social Science subject. Is my Politics degree at LSE going to be worthless then?
Original post by enyav
looool are you kidding? A) I've not started uni yet, but I'm flattered and it's politics btw, not gender studies. I never said I was oppressed. B) You were taking the p*** out of people who study gender studies (who are mainly women) and saying they can't take the 'banter'. Issues such as domestic violence and free speech for women are not funny and among the most important topics we should be thinking about in the 21st century, and i'm all for fellow women to understand their history and their future by exploring the achievements and downfalls of their fellow women. You completely misinterpreted what I said.

I am taking the piss because you went "muh orthographical error", which was a pathetic response. There are no issues with women in particular, I am almost certain I have a better understanding of both of the issues you bring up in this post.

You are completely legally equal to a man.
Original post by Redmonds
'Bizarre liberal arts discipline'? I want to do the Civil Service fast stream at the Foreign Office and you have to have a degree in a Social Science subject. Is my Politics degree at LSE going to be worthless then?

Yes, if you aren't doing a super astrophysics degree or becoming a lawyer you're obviously a complete retard with no positive qualities duh.
Agree 100% with the OP.
Yes, if you aren't doing a super astrophysics degree or becoming a lawyer you're obviously a complete retard with no positive qualities duh.

I'll just pack it in now then :ashamed:
he's right.. theres no point in going to university if its a crap one or a crap course cos you wont get anywhere with it but then again i go to a rubbish university so i know what its like im doing a good course but i dont even like it im just doing it for the sake of it too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending