The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2016 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

No one no or the link to the sqa page because i cant find it anywhere??
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Good luck - let us know what happens.

My application has been put on hold so I have to wait till the 18th!
Just to let you know Grade Boundaries are up. You may need to refresh the page F5 on most PCs . Easy route www.sqa.org.uk/statistics then select information on left hand drop down.
To everyone who didn't get the grades they expected, wanted or needed, please don't be disheartened! 5 years ago I got ABBBC in my highers and was absolutely distraught. All my plans had gone out the window and I knew I didn't stand a chance of getting a place at Glasgow or Edinburgh, which were the two unis I had my heart set on. I ended up going to Aberdeen instead and had an amazing four years, and have just graduated with first class honours and an offer to study a masters at Strathclyde. I really think everything happens for a reason and it will all work out in the best possible way. It's hard to believe right now, but as soon as you take your next step your school grades will mean next to nothing.

To all those who got the grades they deserved, well done, you've done fantastically. To those who didn't, don't lose hope, this is most definitely not the end of the world!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
Original post by hermitthefrog
To everyone who didn't get the grades they expected, wanted or needed, please don't be disheartened! 5 years ago I got ABBBC in my highers and was absolutely distraught. All my plans had gone out the window and I knew I didn't stand a chance of getting a place at Glasgow or Edinburgh, which were the two unis I had my heart set on. I ended up going to Aberdeen instead and had an amazing four years, and have just graduated with first class honours and an offer to study a masters at Strathclyde. I really think everything happens for a reason and it will all work out in the best possible way. It's hard to believe right now, but as soon as you take your next step your school grades will mean next to nothing.

To all those who got the grades they deserved, well done, you've done fantastically. To those who didn't, don't lose hope, this is most definitely not the end of the world!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true, Keep your head held high!
Reply 145
Hi, I got ABBBB. I'm not distraught but extremely disappointed, I expected AAABB. I was aiming for Edinburgh or Glasgow University to study Computing Science. Is this still a viable option or are my S5 results not good enough to get in? What should I do for S6? (I had Adv Eng and Adv Comp which both I got a B in and H Chemistry down) Maybe I should drop the Adv Highers? Pick another fourth subject? I'm just really confused on what these results mean for my school year ahead and the university I attend.
Original post by GJK98
Hi, I got ABBBB. I'm not distraught but extremely disappointed, I expected AAABB. I was aiming for Edinburgh or Glasgow University to study Computing Science. Is this still a viable option or are my S5 results not good enough to get in? What should I do for S6? (I had Adv Eng and Adv Comp which both I got a B in and H Chemistry down) Maybe I should drop the Adv Highers? Pick another fourth subject? I'm just really confused on what these results mean for my school year ahead and the university I attend.

You can still apply to these universities but would likely receive a conditional offer based on more higher subjects at s6
Reply 147
Original post by GJK98

Do not be distraught or disappointed. They are a decent set of results, and I'm not just saying that. I'm going to Edinburgh to do Computer Science and AI this year so I can help you get to where you want to go.First of all, tell me what subjects you chose this year and what grades you got. Give me a list of any N5's you did also. I can then advise you from there. Quote me when you are replying.
Original post by GJK98
This year I done: Biology, Computing Science, English, Physics, Mathematics. Biology being my only A from the ABBBB.
At National 5 level I done: English, A; Computing Science, A; Chemistry, A; Graph Comm, A; Physics, B; Maths, B.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here as I think I'll have to shift my S6 subjects due to my results. I was originally doing: Adv H English, Adv H Computing and H Chemistry. I'm not sure if I would have to take up another subject or replace one this year. I'm confused on what I should do that will benefit me for getting accepted into my preferred Universities. Thanks for the reply as well!

What are you looking to go into?
Reply 149
Hi
I want to study accountancy at university next year but i have done terribly bad in my higher exams this year. I got 3 D and 2 no rewards. Do i have any chances of cleaning up my mistakes and working hard enough to be able to get to university after S6?
Reply 150
Original post by Lillyk
Hi
I want to study accountancy at university next year but i have done terribly bad in my higher exams this year. I got 3 D and 2 no rewards. Do i have any chances of cleaning up my mistakes and working hard enough to be able to get to university after S6?

Yes, it certainly is possible. Though university is not the only route. If you have 5 National 5's then you can be paid up to £320 a week to do an apprenticeship at an accountancy firm and you will become a chartered accountant by the end of they 5 years with most likely a job lined up after it. Always something to consider. Hope this helps!
Reply 151
Original post by JP298
Yes, it certainly is possible. Though university is not the only route. If you have 5 National 5's then you can be paid up to £320 a week to do an apprenticeship at an accountancy firm and you will become a chartered accountant by the end of they 5 years with most likely a job lined up after it. Always something to consider. Hope this helps!

Last year for my National 5s I got an A in maths, B in Biology,Chemistry, English and business and a C in French
Reply 152
Original post by Lillyk
Last year for my National 5s I got an A in maths, B in Biology,Chemistry, English and business and a C in French

All passes, so you should be eligible for an apprenticeship. I think you should have a look for yourself as they are starting to increase in popularity and in some cases are better than going to university. Who wouldn't want to get paid whilst learning?!
Original post by Lillyk

Then you can certainly consider that Apprenticeship route.

If you would prefer to go to University then you could still be considered by some universities if you are taking 4 Highers next year (assuming you are going into 6th year).

Alternatively you could start studying for an HNC/D in Accounting at a College and then applying to University after that. You may be able to gain advanced entry into the degree if you do well in the HNC/D.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 154
Original post by Ecosse_14
Then you can certainly consider that Apprenticeship route.

If you would prefer to go to University then you could still be considered by some universities if you are taking 4 Highers next year (assuming you are going into 6th year).

Alternatively you could start studying for an HNC/D in Accounting at a College and then applying to University after that. You may be able to gain advanced entry into the degree if you do well in the HNC/D.

Hope that helps :smile:

I will be continuing school for S6 and Thank you
Reply 155
Original post by JP298
Do not be distraught or disappointed. They are a decent set of results, and I'm not just saying that. I'm going to Edinburgh to do Computer Science and AI this year so I can help you get to where you want to go.First of all, tell me what subjects you chose this year and what grades you got. Give me a list of any N5's you did also. I can then advise you from there. Quote me when you are replying.

Sorry, forgot to quote on my last post, I've just noticed.

This year I done: Biology, Computing Science, English, Physics, Mathematics. Biology being my only A from the ABBBB.
At National 5 level I done: English, A; Computing Science, A; Chemistry, A; Graph Comm, A; Physics, B; Maths, B.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here as I think I'll have to shift my S6 subjects due to my results. I was originally doing: Adv H English, Adv H Computing and H Chemistry. I'm not sure if I would have to take up another subject or replace one this year. I'm confused on what I should do that will benefit me for getting accepted into my preferred Universities. Thanks for the reply as well!
Reply 156
Original post by A+Hunter
What are you looking to go into?

Computing Science at Edinburgh or Glasgow University
Hi I got all A's but I feel like this was not the correct grade as I feel like I should have gotten B's. How do I contact the SQA to get a remark and get this changed from As to Bs? Thanks
op did u get into edinburgh?
Reply 159
Original post by GJK98
Sorry, forgot to quote on my last post, I've just noticed.

Hi again GJK, first of all you made the 3 key choices of subjects this year in your higher. The 3 being Computer Science, Physics and Maths. That's good. I also see you've got a really good set of N5 results and subject choices. If you are sure you want to do Computer Science I would recommend not doing Adv H English. I suggest taking Adv Maths as that's the subject that Computer Science is based on. Also much of the stuff found at that level will be taught again in first year, so it gives you a head start if you choose that. It will also give you an edge at the Glasgow and Edinburgh universities, as they strongly recommend you take it. Take Adv H Computer Science also. Your third subject choice is purely up to you but if you are wanting a strong application then I would suggest either Adv H Physics or H Chemistry.
Academics are only part of your application. You need to have a strong Personal Statement and to do that you need to show interest in Computer Science outside the classroom, whether that by reading books, coding your own projects, attending seminars/talks etc. You also need to be doing Extra-Curricular activities and some sort of volunteering such as being a prefect. Once you start to prepare your application give us a msg and I'll help you with your personal statement. If you have anymore questions, quote me or msg me, I'm more than happy to help!

Quick Reply

Latest