The Student Room Group

How do YOU deal with a break up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Are you male/female? Breaking up with someone you're still in love with vs not? How did your feelings change over time e.g. 1 week after break up vs months? What kinda relationship do you have with your ex now e.g. are you on speaking terms? How did you get over them, if you even got over them?

The best way to get over them is to get a piece of paper out and in the middle write... "why it wouldn't work out with [insert name]" and then make a spider diagram with all their flaws etc...

This has helped me tremendously to get over somebody. Whenever I felt like crap and felt the feeling to go back I would always check the paper and it would make me feel better.

You should try it?
Female, I thought I loved him (I think I was more obsessed than in love - it was my first relationship)

Took around 3 months. I dumped him on my birthday after he gave me a £3 plastic necklace I saw him mum put in the bin months previously. Sounds really shallow - but before this he would stop me seeing my friends and even forced me into sexual stuff (4 years on i still remember how sick i felt). The necklace was a slap round the face, a wake up call that i needed to get out.

During the 3 months i would continously text/call and try and meet up with him. Thinking back it was almost stalkerish, but you must bear in mind that i lost all my friends and mum was having counselling - I had no-one. But after 3 months it no longer hurt. Idk why, just one day he wasn't the first thing i thought of when i woke up. At first I would forget about him for a few hours. Then a day. Then a few days which has now turned into months (:

I now have a new boyfriend who I've been with for 3 years. And everything is pretty great. I promise anyone who is reading this, if you are in an abusive relationahip - GET OUT. Its the best thing you'll ever do. I don't regret it at all. If you have doubts about someone - listen to your gut!
Original post by J-ved
Alot of people from my school are mutual friends with her. Since I left school and going to a different college from everyone else, it shouldn't be so bad. But it was hell during the final months as well as revision for GCSE's. Made me paranoid and much more depressed. Like, I feel like I am a bad person for breaking up with someone I love. However, it hurts even more when someone you love disrespects you, messes around by placing a "break" on me and giving me a reason ( a real reason but not a valid reason to put me on a break). She lost feelings for me and got bored. Hence why she mentioned I should be funny and not boring which hurt me alot. But in the end I still feel like I'm a bad person. Gas lighting perhaps? It's the people who screw you over that are doing well. I also lost a few friends too.

Yeah I can imagine it must have been s*** at the time. I don't think you should beat yourself up as I think you made the right decision as it sounded doomed anyway. If you hadn't broken up with her then, it probably would have ended later anyway.
Original post by mr.cool09
The best way to get over them is to get a piece of paper out and in the middle write... "why it wouldn't work out with [insert name]" and then make a spider diagram with all their flaws etc...

This has helped me tremendously to get over somebody. Whenever I felt like crap and felt the feeling to go back I would always check the paper and it would make me feel better.

You should try it?

The worst thing is that I know I was way too good for him but I can't help being drawn to him, as much as I don't want to be. I will give it a go though thanks
Reply 44
Well you grab a bottle of vodka, whiskey, anything with more than 35% alcohol then you open it and drink it, you call up a friend who always hated your girlfriend and you both talk about what a mistake she was then the next day you realize you're a free man and she wasn't all that, nothing your right hand couldn't substitute for awhile. Then you move onto bigger and better things. Just hope she isn't someone you regularly bump into or she wasn't a long time partner Cus then you'll be substituting the alcohol for other possibly illegal drugs.
Female, I thought I loved him (I think I was more obsessed than in love - it was my first relationship)

Took around 3 months. I dumped him on my birthday after he gave me a £3 plastic necklace I saw him mum put in the bin months previously. Sounds really shallow - but before this he would stop me seeing my friends and even forced me into sexual stuff (4 years on i still remember how sick i felt). The necklace was a slap round the face, a wake up call that i needed to get out.

During the 3 months i would continously text/call and try and meet up with him. Thinking back it was almost stalkerish, but you must bear in mind that i lost all my friends and mum was having counselling - I had no-one. But after 3 months it no longer hurt. Idk why, just one day he wasn't the first thing i thought of when i woke up. At first I would forget about him for a few hours. Then a day. Then a few days which has now turned into months (:

I now have a new boyfriend who I've been with for 3 years. And everything is pretty great. I promise anyone who is reading this, if you are in an abusive relationahip - GET OUT. Its the best thing you'll ever do. I don't regret it at all. If you have doubts about someone - listen to your gut!

Thank you for your response. I'm so happy to hear you're in a loving relationship with someone who treats you right now. My ex got quite emotionally abusive near the end but I still think about him and even texted him a few times even though I know he is nothing but bad news. Reading posts like yours gives me hope that I'll be able to get over him eventually. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or next week, but one day. Thank you and take care!
Reply 46
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Female and was in love with my ex.

Month 1- Cried my eyes out, ate pizza and over 20 chocolate digestives packets within 2 weeks.
Month 2- Facebook stalking
Month 3- Went out on dates with other guys
Month 4- Revised and revised
After Month 5- Revised for exams and lost weight.

I do have my days where I miss him but I'll get past it :colondollar:
Fantastic formula..
Original post by username2015015
Guy 1: first relationship, he got really weird and obsessive, I broke it off over text (I was 13 if that makes it less bad...), I was pretty sad for a few days but it was only 2 or so months that we were together... he contacted me a year or so later but we just never spoke again
Guy 2: he broke up with me on a group chat? together almost 6 months and I was so heartbroken... for about 2 weeks, and got into a rebound relationship. He's actually a close mate of mine now, this was a good 3 years ago though so I think I'm over it by now
Guy 3: rebound relationship, started going out because he asked me out when I was drunk and I thought "how bad can it be?". Turns out it was bad, 2 months in he got a bit possessive and I wasn't feeling it, we broke up and I felt nothing. We were friends for a few years after until he got with my friend and cheated on her a few times, so I'm glad that's all over
Guy 4: together for a year and a bit, love of my life, we broke up because my mental health got unbearable for him. I was utterly distraught for a month or so, but was determined to recover for him. We got back together after he saw how hard I was fighting against it all, and we'll have been together for 2 years this September.

Hey, I know you posted this years ago, but I've read your comment and am in a similar situation. I'm with my current boyfriend of 9 months and I'm thinking about ending it because my mental health is at an all time low. I get really bad anxiety and overthink everything he does. I was just wondering what situation you were in with your mental health and what you did to improve it?
Are you male/female? Breaking up with someone you're still in love with vs not? How did your feelings change over time e.g. 1 week after break up vs months? What kinda relationship do you have with your ex now e.g. are you on speaking terms? How did you get over them, if you even got over them?

Haha, I wouldn't know because I've never been in a relationship. Ha..ha..I'm so lonely.

Spoiler

not the most healthy way to deal with it but i go clubbing and get with a bunch of other guys just so that i feel a bit wanted and better about myself
In my experience, its easier for women.

I havent dealt with mine for 3 years and dont think i ever will, it crushes me everyday.
Reply 51
Drink.

It wasn't officially a relationship but it still kind of counts I suppose: I still loved them and after a week I was still an emotional wreck. I just felt so down and lacking motivation. A few months after I got better generally, but I still remember how she made me feel and how rare that is (and how superficial it was). So it still affects me but only when I think about it. We speak but only very occasionally because we have nothing in common and she likes other guys. I got over them by waiting for the pain to subside and by focussing on myself. I get sad after things like this and so my coping mechanism is to focus on myself since I shouldn't try to change myself to please them.
By crying.
Original post by username2015015
Guy 1: first relationship, he got really weird and obsessive, I broke it off over text (I was 13 if that makes it less bad...), I was pretty sad for a few days but it was only 2 or so months that we were together... he contacted me a year or so later but we just never spoke again
Guy 2: he broke up with me on a group chat? together almost 6 months and I was so heartbroken... for about 2 weeks, and got into a rebound relationship. He's actually a close mate of mine now, this was a good 3 years ago though so I think I'm over it by now
Guy 3: rebound relationship, started going out because he asked me out when I was drunk and I thought "how bad can it be?". Turns out it was bad, 2 months in he got a bit possessive and I wasn't feeling it, we broke up and I felt nothing. We were friends for a few years after until he got with my friend and cheated on her a few times, so I'm glad that's all over
Guy 4: together for a year and a bit, love of my life, we broke up because my mental health got unbearable for him. I was utterly distraught for a month or so, but was determined to recover for him. We got back together after he saw how hard I was fighting against it all, and we'll have been together for 2 years this September.

Please could you message me, I'm in a similiar boat and would like to have your advice, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending