The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me access my savings...

So I've been told since the age of 7 I can't access my savings it's for my future. I'm 16... this is my future. They tell me I'll need money before I get a flat, money for a car all that stuff. And yes... I will. But I'll have a job by the time I want to move, I'm trying now and I'm 16. In fact I've had a couple interviews recently so I could well be getting a job. So I took £100 out of my account last week to put towards a new phone (saving for the s6, should have enough by next week once my iPod/current phone has sold), I told myself they're not in charge of my money. They haven't found out yet but they probably will when I get my new phone.

I didn't ask because I shouldn't have to. It's my money. I've had to put up with a brick for the past 2 years now I'm choosing to upgrade using my own money. It's not like I'm 8 and I'm buying barbie dolls with my spare cash.

In case you're wondering, the money if from things such as birthdays/christmas's etc... whenever I get cheques I pay them into the savings account.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

When you say its your money, I presume you have earned it? As opposed to money given to you by your parents to save for a time when you really need it.

You have the rest of your life to be disappointed by the expense of fancy phones.
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Wheb you say its your money, I presume you have earned it? As opposed to money given to you by your patents to save for a time when you really need it.

You have the rest of your life to be disappointed by the expense of fancy phones.

The money in savings is money which I have been given by FAMILY relatives. So my grandparents, aunts, uncles, family friends etc...
If it's in an account that you can freely access (as you have done) it's your money.

The real issue is that you're heading for a major confrontation with your parents and regardless of whose money it legally is, you're going to have to deal with that, and I doubt that "the Internet said it was ok" is going to be a strong argument in that particular debate
Fair enough. I still think your parents have a point. In two years time, you will have ņothing to show for your £100 phone. And perhaps you might want / need a car by then?
Reply 5
I just laughed at this. Haha, you have a strong point though. Of course I knew it wasn't going to be a case of "I'm sorry" and everyone's happy. It'll most likely be an evening spent talking to me about how precious that money is. But honestly, my argument to them is I needed a new phone, not wanted - needed. It was faulty, broken, slow, it wasn't doing what it was bought for. They say it only takes once, then I'll do it again. However this will not be the case unless it is something as big as a phone (to me). If it's something like a new set of speakers, that can obviously wait.
Original post by Trinculo
If it's in an account that you can freely access (as you have done) it's your money.

The real issue is that you're heading for a major confrontation with your parents and regardless of whose money it legally is, you're going to have to deal with that, and I doubt that "the Internet said it was ok" is going to be a strong argument in that particular debate
Reply 6
By which time I'll have a job (with fingers crossed) and at the rate I'm going, I thoroughly believe I will. So I can save for those sorts of things. I'm young I'm not treading on broken glass just so I can have a fraction more than I would if I was earning in the future. I'm living in the present.
Original post by ByEeek
Fair enough. I still think your parents have a point. In two years time, you will have ņothing to show for your £100 phone. And perhaps you might want / need a car by then?
Original post by MaterialBoy
I just laughed at this. Haha, you have a strong point though. Of course I knew it wasn't going to be a case of "I'm sorry" and everyone's happy. It'll most likely be an evening spent talking to me about how precious that money is. But honestly, my argument to them is I needed a new phone, not wanted - needed. It was faulty, broken, slow, it wasn't doing what it was bought for. They say it only takes once, then I'll do it again. However this will not be the case unless it is something as big as a phone (to me). If it's something like a new set of speakers, that can obviously wait.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the point.

The phone is only symptomatic of the wider and underlying issue - whether or not you have control over your own finances.
Reply 8
Parents know best. i don't really see anything wrong with telling your child to save their money. personally if i had a child and he was getting a lot of money i wouldn't let him access it until a certain age either. if it was a lot of money i wouldn't let him/her access it until they were at least 21 and even then there would be a limit to how much they can take out. its not a viscous thing, your parents are teaching you how to control your spendings. believe me one day you will understand. when you start working and have to pay for everything you will be thankful to have something left in savings
By which time I'll have a job (with fingers crossed) and at the rate I'm going, I thoroughly believe I will. So I can save for those sorts of things. I'm young I'm not treading on broken glass just so I can have a fraction more than I would if I was earning in the future. I'm living in the present.

Cool. So when you have a job and have earned £100 you will be able to buy your phone and everyone will be happy.

Btw You will need a current account if you get a job. Might be worth opening one now.

Good luck!
So I've been told since the age of 7 I can't access my savings it's for my future. I'm 16... this is my future. They tell me I'll need money before I get a flat, money for a car all that stuff. And yes... I will. But I'll have a job by the time I want to move, I'm trying now and I'm 16. In fact I've had a couple interviews recently so I could well be getting a job. So I took £100 out of my account last week to put towards a new phone (saving for the s6, should have enough by next week once my iPod/current phone has sold), I told myself they're not in charge of my money. They haven't found out yet but they probably will when I get my new phone.

I didn't ask because I shouldn't have to. It's my money. I've had to put up with a brick for the past 2 years now I'm choosing to upgrade using my own money. It's not like I'm 8 and I'm buying barbie dolls with my spare cash.

In case you're wondering, the money if from things such as birthdays/christmas's etc... whenever I get cheques I pay them into the savings account.

Thoughts?

At 16, you don't need a large sum of money. wait until you're at least 18 so then you'll have money for any uni expenses/car/driving lessons/insurance/deposit for a flat. If you want pocket money now, get a job.

Thoughts?

You have not earned that money and it is much more responsible to save it for things that require heavy investment (deposit on flat, car, driving lessons) rather than a downpayment on a phone which you will probably replace in 2 years.

Respect your parents wishes, unless you earnt the money its not yours to spend without permission from the people who gave it to you, gift or not.
Your parents are doing the right thing witholding it till your older to avoid irresponsible wasting of savings, trust me you only get this money once and when your older and need to invest it on things you will really regret wasting it all stupidly at 16.

Yes when your older you will have a job, but you will also have a tonne of outgoings making it harder to save, trust me everyone is broke when they first move out!

For perspective i do not get money for a car until i need it and its at my fathers discretion, he oversees the money as its his. Respect the fact that your so lucky to have this money!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest you're being stupid and if your family gave you this to put towards savings for something useful they will be really disappointed you're squandering it on a new phone. Yes you may have a job when you want a car/house but it's still hard to save for these things, you're looking at £2000-£4000 for driving lessons/test/car/1 year insurance - that's A LOT of money to save; you're looking at between £1000 and £3000 to set yourself up renting with fees/deposit/1st month rent/furniture/moving costs. It's hard to save for these things and there's a reason people who've been there and done that and seen how expensive it is have decided you will find it hard to save.
So your parents haven't contributed at all to that savings account?
Original post by Allie4
Parents know best. i don't really see anything wrong with telling your child to save their money. personally if i had a child and he was getting a lot of money i wouldn't let him access it until a certain age either. if it was a lot of money i wouldn't let him/her access it until they were at least 21 and even then there would be a limit to how much they can take out. its not a viscous thing, your parents are teaching you how to control your spendings. believe me one day you will understand. when you start working and have to pay for everything you will be thankful to have something left in savings

This is ridiculous. What makes you think you'd have the right to tell an adult what to do with their own money?

A trust fund or a savings account where you put some money aside for them to access when they're older is one thing, but stopping someone from accessing money they've saved/earned themselves sounds illegal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Allie4

I'd agree with this maybe 18 and give them open access
No idea how much is in this account or on what basis the money was given.
Direct to you, then its your money.
To your parents for you, then they are trustees.

You do sound pretty first world selfish tbh.
You know your parents and am sure it will be alright. they will probably laugh that you didnt have the guts to spend it all much sooner and admire you for going against their wishes. Just keep telling them its your money and they have no right to tell tell you how to live your life. Who do they think they are? Come on we are talking about an S6!
Reply 17
Original post by Shumaya
This is ridiculous. What makes you think you'd have the right to tell an adult what to do with their own money?

A trust fund or a savings account where you put some money aside for them to access when they're older is one thing, but stopping someone from accessing money they've saved/earned themselves sounds illegal.

but he didn't earn it though. it was money that was given to him by family as gifts when he was younger. hes only 16
Original post by Allie4
but he didn't earn it though. it was money that was given to him by family as gifts when he was younger. hes only 16

Money given to him as a gift is his money, not his parents'. He saved his birthday/christmas money when most kids would have been buying toys and playstation games. It's his money, he can do what he likes with it. He may make bad decisions but that's life. Millions of people manage to survive without such savings so i'm sure OP will be fine even if he does blow it all. Having said that, he sounds quite sensible and it doesn't sound like he plans on wasting it. He needed a new phone so he got one with money he'd saved. Think of it as a belated birthday present if that makes you feel better.

If they had been depositing their own money into the account for him to use for a flat/car, then their feelings would be understandable.

You needed an s6??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending