The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 9th August 2016: Need advice?

SQA Results Day 9th August 2016: Need advice?

Every year students come on TSR looking for advice with their results, and rightly so! At TSR, we have a team of UCAS-trained advisers who'll be able to help you out, as well as lots of knowledgeable members here in the ScotQuals community who'll hopefully be kind enough to share their experience.

If you want to have a general chat about results day, you can do so in the SQA Results Discussion thread. If you would like information regarding post results services, check out the SQA Results Service 2016 thread. You can also check out the SQA section of our results day hub for lots of useful information.

If you need any advice about your results or your options, feel free to post here! However, there are quite a few common scenarios, and some supporters have already prepared some answers for you!

Progression from S4 to S5

You've got your National 5 results back. Great! Attainment in these exams most immediately pertains to your progression into the courses that you chose before the summer to study at a higher level. The following are some very common scenarios: Contact your school's office if in doubt!

I did not do as well in N5 as I hoped, can I still do Higher?

The decision on whether to submit a student for a particular course is ultimately down to the submitting centre (your school or college). The SQA's guidance is that the recommended requirement for progression to Higher is a pass at National 5. You have the opportunity to convince your teacher that you're capable of passing Higher and that it won't be a waste of both of your times and the school's money, or ask them to let you begin sitting the Higher and see how you progress. Maybe you performed well in class assessment and prelim, but simply choked in the exam, maybe you were sick: this sort of evidence will (or at least, should) be taken into account in the decision-making process.

Recognising Positive Achievements

If you received ‘no award’ for a National 5 course, but still passed all the unit requirements (i.e. NABs), then the SQA may decide to give you a National 4 course award as part of their Recognising Positive Achievement arrangements. You should contact your school for further information on this process if required.

I missed my grades! What do I do!?

First, don't panic. You still have lots of options, but you have to think about a few things: Why do you think you failed? Try and work out where you went wrong and what can be improved for next year. Who can you talk to at school about your options from here? They know you best and will be able to give high quality advice. This could include a careers advisor or a mentor. Still concerned about your results? Your centre can request a clerical check and/or a marking review of the exam script, which may lead to a change in your grade. Please see the results service FAQ thread for further details on this.

Progression from S5 to S6

Don't be discouraged by a bad mark! The consequences, in terms of progression, of this scenario are essentially identical to the ones provided above for S4 to S5, but with different levels of qualifications. The recommended "entry requirement" for an Advanced Higher qualification is an award at the Higher level. Again, this is only a recommendation and different schools have different policies about what an acceptable grade for progression is. The unique thing about moving into S6 is that the qualifications you now hold are what you apply to university with. The following are some common scenarios:

I don't meet the entry requirements for my course; can I still apply?

It can vary depending on your situation. If entry requirements are advertised in terms of "one sitting", then you would be required to take a new set of Highers in S6 if you were to try to meet the requirements of the course. If entry requirements are not advertised in terms of "one sitting", then your current set of Highers will be valid, although insufficient. For example, if your course requires AAAB, and you get AAB in 5th year, then all you’d need to do in 6th year is pick up another Higher to try to meet the entry requirements. It's extremely important you look at the entry requirements for your preferred course on the university's website and if you don't understand them to contact the university for clarification. It's worth noting that many universities also ask for certain subjects to be taken at Intermediate 2/National 5 (such as a foreign language for humanities courses), if you don't have these subjects, there's no reason you can't study them in S5 or S6 instead. National 5s don't have to be achieved in 4th year to be valid.

I don't have the required subjects for my course; will they still consider my application?

Yes! However, you would be required to take this missing subject in S6. If something is advertised as a requirement, then there's no getting around it, bar exceptional circumstances. If you require to ‘crash’ a higher for a course make sure your head knows that it is a requirement, especially if your school is picky about them.

I've exceeded the entry requirements for my preferred course; should I still apply?

Congratulations! There's no reason you shouldn't apply to your course just because you exceed the entry requirements. The only thing that matters now is whether you would enjoy the courses that you're thinking about applying for, and that may be one that has higher entry requirements than you thought you'd achieve, or it may be the one you had your heart set on all along. Although you should also note that just because you meet a university's minimum entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made - your full UCAS application will be taken into consideration.

Moving from S6 to University

I've made my firm offer, but I no longer want to go there. What do I do?

If you really don't want to attend your firm choice you should call the institution and ask them to release you. It's important to note that universities are under no obligation to release you from your offer. It is rare however for universities to deny this request. Note that upon getting news that you have met your firm offer, UCAS automatically declines your insurance offer for you. Thus, upon being released by your firm, you will be automatically entered into Clearing. If you still wish to attend your insurance choice, then you will have to call up your insurance to discuss with them that you'd still like to study their course, and whether they still have a place (and would be willing) to offer it to you. While here, you can discuss how you can go about accepting your insurance choice (e.g. through Clearing). It's advisable that you confirm they'll still accept you before you go about trying be released from your firm.

I've missed my firm, what do I do?

If you've missed your firm offer and they have made you unsuccessful, then UCAS will default to accepting your insurance offer. If you've narrowly missed your offer then you may find that you still receive an unconditional from your firm. If your Track still reads "conditional", it means the university have either not transmitted their decision to UCAS, or are still considering your application. It is extremely important you contact your university as soon as possible in this case as they may be willing to offer you a place and are awaiting your call. In some cases, a university may make an applicant an offer for an alternative course, but this again, is not common. This will show on your UCAS as 'UCC' which stands for Unconditional Changed Course. You do not have to accept this offer, but you have five days to make your decision. It’s also possible for you to meet your offer via the SQA results service, and this is discussed more in our thread here.

I've missed my firm and no longer want to go to my insurance. What do I do?

The best thing you can do here is to call your insurance institution ASAP and ask to be released into Clearing. After you've been released, you will be assigned a Clearing number and can start contacting universities who are advertising vacancies in Clearing. Read more about clearing here.

I've missed both of my offers. What next?

As above, it's possible that the institutions may still accept you even if you miss your offer, but this is completely at the discretion of the institution. If you miss both of your offers, then you will be automatically placed in Clearing and be assigned a Clearing number. Read more about clearing here.

I've met and exceeded my offer; can I choose a better course?

If you have met AND exceeded your offer, this means that you're eligible to register for Adjustment via UCAS Track. Read more about Adjustment here.

Best of luck with results and the future!
Hello, I got 7 A's and 2 B's in my National 5's and I am applying to Cambridge in S6, do you think this will ruin my chances? I'll try much harder for my highers & advanced highers...
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I was just wondering if it's possible to find out your percentage score for the exams or at least the banding? Thank you :smile:
Original post by studycloud
Hi, I was just wondering if it's possible to find out your percentage score for the exams or at least the banding? Thank you :smile:

Your school will have the percentages
Reply 4
Original post by ___Sophie___
Hello, I got 6 A's and 3 B's in my National 5's and I am applying to Cambridge in S6, do you think this will ruin my chances? I'll try much harder for my highers & advanced highers...

It will not ruin your chances. For Cambridge you need to show an exceptional all-round person, whether that be academics, extra-curricular activities or volunteering. Your grades AND subject choices will matter much more in both Highers and Adv Highers.
Original post by JP298
It will not ruin your chances. For Cambridge you need to show an exceptional all-round person, whether that be academics, extra-curricular activities or volunteering. Your grades AND subject choices will matter much more in both Highers and Adv Highers.

Ok thank you :smile:
Took a somewhat sore B in English (H) - straight As elsewhere, is it worth the appeal?
Original post by Magicalunicorn
Took a somewhat sore B in English (H) - straight As elsewhere, is it worth the appeal?

there a no longer appeals but you can ask for a remark ( via your school) Probably best to see how close to the grade boundary you are first as results can go down as well as up with a remark !
I met my conditions to get into Stirling uni of just one B as I got ABC this year, I was then hoping to apply to adjustment to try and change to glasgow uni instead, however adjustment doesn't start till the 18th but I need to accept my accommodation for Stirling by the 16th, I don't want to reject the accommodation and then Glasgow say no and I'm left with no accommodation and once I accept it I'm in a legal document to pay all the fees, any advice on what i could do?
Original post by Greenhill31
I met my conditions to get into Stirling uni of just one B as I got ABC this year, I was then hoping to apply to adjustment to try and change to glasgow uni instead, however adjustment doesn't start till the 18th but I need to accept my accommodation for Stirling by the 16th, I don't want to reject the accommodation and then Glasgow say no and I'm left with no accommodation and once I accept it I'm in a legal document to pay all the fees, any advice on what i could do?

I would give Glasgow a ring to see if they have any places left before you make your decision with Stirling. Do not reject your place for accommodation before you know what is available at Glasgow through adjustment.

It might be worth a call to Stirling too. They will be able to give you advice too.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Hi. I want to apply to Edinburgh Queen Margaret, Glasgow Caledonian and Robert Gordon for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Radiography.

I achieved the grades ABBC in my Highers this year and Edinburgh require BBBC and Glasgow require BBBB

I achieved the C in Higher Biology and was wondering if it was possible to take Advanced Higher biology at a C grade? If this is possible and with hard work say I achieved a B would this mean I reached the entry requirements?

I'm also taking Higher physics this year and should be hoping to get a B in that as well.
Hi- I want to resit higher biology in my spare time as I have accepted a place into college. Does anyone know how I go about doing this?
Reply 12
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Hi. I want to apply to Edinburgh Queen Margaret, Glasgow Caledonian and Robert Gordon for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Radiography.

I achieved the grades ABBC in my Highers this year and Edinburgh require BBBC and Glasgow require BBBB

I achieved the C in Higher Biology and was wondering if it was possible to take Advanced Higher biology at a C grade? If this is possible and with hard work say I achieved a B would this mean I reached the entry requirements?

I'm also taking Higher physics this year and should be hoping to get a B in that as well.

Hi, I would contact both Edinburgh and Glasgow because you've got an A and it may compensate for the C. I can not guarantee this. It's entirely up to your school on whether they allow you to sit Adv Higher Biology. I would recommend you take it and work hard, if you were to get a B in it as you say, it would more than compensate for the C at higher. Higher physics will be a massive advantage on your application. Hope this helps!
Reply 13
Original post by Daniella02
Hi- I want to resit higher biology in my spare time as I have accepted a place into college. Does anyone know how I go about doing this?

I would contact the college. It will be likely they have part-time classes at night you could attend as well, if you don't want to do that then you can sit the exam as an external candidate. Hope this Helps
Original post by JP298
Hi, I would contact both Edinburgh and Glasgow because you've got an A and it may compensate for the C. I can not guarantee this. It's entirely up to your school on whether they allow you to sit Adv Higher Biology. I would recommend you take it and work hard, if you were to get a B in it as you say, it would more than compensate for the C at higher. Higher physics will be a massive advantage on your application. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, that's really reassuring. I was bogged down with some personal circumstances so didn't achieve as well as I hoped so rather than resitting Biology I thought I could just sit AH Biology and work extremely hard. Plus I know that universities like a candidate to have at least one Advanced Higher as it's good preparation for university, even though it's not essential, so it might improve my application like you say. :smile:
Reply 15
Today has been the biggest failure of my life so far :frown: , I sat 2 highers and 1 Nat 5 -
English Higher- C
Chemistry Higher- D
Maths N5- C

In S6 I will be doing Higher Maths, Higher Comp Sc, Higher Physics ( I did Comp & Physics in S5 but I didn't sit the exams)
If I am able to redo Higher Chem and get an A or a B and also get As and Bs with the other Highers im doing, Is there any chance ill be able to get into a pharmacology course at a University in Glasgow preferably?
I would greatly appreciate any advice thank you!

(This is a repost but i think this thread is more suited for it)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Z1Z9
Today has been the biggest failure of my life so far :frown: , I sat 2 highers and 1 Nat 5 -
English Higher- C
Chemistry Higher- D
Maths N5- C

In S6 I will be doing Higher Maths, Higher Comp Sc, Higher Physics ( I did all these in S5 but I didn't sit the exams)
If I am able to redo Higher Chem and get an A or a B and also get As and Bs with the other Highers im doing, Is there any chance ill be able to get into a pharmacology course at a University in Glasgow preferably?
I would greatly appreciate any advice thank you!

(This is a repost but i think this thread is more suited for it)

Definitely, just work hard and dont give up. Try and realise where you went wrong and what topics you struggle at. Maybe consider tuition.

You must achieve a minimum of ABBB in S6 to be considered.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Definitely, just work hard and dont give up. Try and realise where you went wrong and what topics you struggle at. Maybe consider tuition.

You must achieve a minimum of ABBB in S6 to be considered.

Thanks so much for that :smile:, I think if I get my head down and study Ill be able to get an ABBB or more, what uni is that minimum for?
Original post by Z1Z9
Thanks so much for that :smile:, I think if I get my head down and study Ill be able to get an ABBB or more, what uni is that minimum for?

Glasgow university for the pharmacology course. Don't call yourself a failure because you aren't. You still passed 2 subjects so be happy! Everything will work out just as long as you realised where you went wrong and take a good structured approach for the future.
Reply 19
Glasgow university for the pharmacology course. Don't call yourself a failure because you aren't. You still passed 2 subjects so be happy! Everything will work out just as long as you realised where you went wrong and take a good structured approach for the future.

Thanks for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending