The Student Room Group

work 15+ hours a day [90hr week] AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
relative to men, a very small %, i'd give a rough estimate and say 10-20% are women in the area I work in

in the context of going into ib, it literally doesn't matter what a levels you did and answering this question doesn't do anyone any justice.. i did what you'd normally expect from someone who went on to study econ/finance.. however, study anything.. the point is you come out with good results.. you're judged on your ability to outperform.. banks are generally tired of ppl like me.. and want some diversity in thinking. i achieved a*a*a

for purpose of anonymity i won't say.. however it's a semi-target school for banks.. think around the lines of manchester/bristol/durham/nottingham/kings

table tennis, football, run a quad skating soc, make youtube vids, board member of a uni soc, student ambassador, volunteer at a youth club

questions about this often come up in the world of banking, ppl want to know if you're a down to earth guy i guess and not boring

yes

i enjoy it, yes

work?

it's just a path i need to go down to get where i want to be.. my end goal isn't banking. it's merely a stepping stone.

no, i've only had 3 weekends off thus far, it depends on deliverables, deadlines and work duties.

no and no

apply for insight days, get good at something, and start trying to network with alumni.. just generally be interesting

no worries

Thanks for taking your time to reply. So when should i start networking, and basically i need to show im not boring, and also do you have any advice on achieving a* a* a, like how many hours did you put in? from when? and with those results couldn't you have went to a target uni? and if you don't mind me asking, what is your end goal?
a mini yatch sorta cruise boat idk, they look pretty dope

what does PPL stand for?

Private pilots license
Original post by AdeptDz
Thanks for taking your time to reply. So when should i start networking, and basically i need to show im not boring, and also do you have any advice on achieving a* a* a, like how many hours did you put in? from when? and with those results couldn't you have went to a target uni? and if you don't mind me asking, what is your end goal?

can start now, try and get people in the industry to advise you and steer you in the right direction.. you can gain some good mentors this way.

a levels are pretty simple, just listen, work hard.. it's not about putting in hours, just enough to understand the work, what's expected and to be fairly diligent/thorough when answering questions

yes that's right, the degree I am studying is quite specific and isn't offered at a target. in either case i got through the process, if you know you're a strong candidate and know what you want to get out of life, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on whether you're at a target or semi

my end goal is to buy a boat, quite simply
Thanks for the great response but how would I start networking like right now?

LinkedIn? Or what?
I did try research it but it was like cold calling and stuff and was for if I was looking for a job which I am not; and I'm hoping to do stats and finance or maths and statistics at lse if I get A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
work weekends too mostly, shoot away

Whats you job? If you dont mind me asking :biggrin:
Original post by AdeptDz
Thanks for the great response but how would I start networking like right now?

LinkedIn? Or what?
I did try research it but it was like cold calling and stuff and was for if I was looking for a job which I am not; and I'm hoping to do stats and finance or maths and statistics at lse if I get A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

LinkedIn is the easiest way to start, ask for information sessions, get your name out there
Original post by Gman786
Whats you job? If you dont mind me asking :biggrin:

banking
Reply 67
LinkedIn is the easiest way to start, ask for information sessions, get your name out there

Are there any UCL engineering graduates in your team etc?

Cool thanks I'll make one tonight, do you mind me asking all these questions? Cuz I don't want to annoy you but I have a few more, anyway you've been helpful.. And if you don't mind and prefer it, could I message you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
work weekends too mostly, shoot away

LOOOOOL, peak times.

How's the summer been? Changed your mind about your career? Are you more or less efficient than you were last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
not alot, street pays c.£50k base (+10-15% bonus) and a £5k sign on for juniour m&a analyst.. (that being said, it progresses rather quickly 3-4 years in you're on 6 figures all in).

most people burn out after their analyst stint, i say i wouldn't but then again.. i don't know what the future holds. i'm already interviewing with some buy-side funds to see if i can skip the 2-3 year banking process

you'd be surprised at how much the human body can take.. i usually average 4-5 hours of sleep a night, and am fully functioning for the day.. when you are idle however, it can seriously kill.. but if you're kept busy that sense of adrenaline and urgency to complete work keeps you up..

most people drink a lot of coffee.. but as above i'd recommend just ensuring you keep busy

you must have a **** job. i work 42 a week and make more than you.
Reply 71
Original post by biglad2k16
They help companies raise capital. That helps the economy a LOT :smile:

oh that old spiel. what a farce.
Original post by Gman786
Are there any UCL engineering graduates in your team etc?

not that I know off, there are some econ guys on the floor. but as far as I'm aware ucl generally places well

Original post by AdeptDz
Cool thanks I'll make one tonight, do you mind me asking all these questions? Cuz I don't want to annoy you but I have a few more, anyway you've been helpful.. And if you don't mind and prefer it, could I message you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ask away, im happy to answer them.. sure send me a pm

Original post by Princepieman
LOOOOOL, peak times.

How's the summer been? Changed your mind about your career? Are you more or less efficient than you were last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

still looking to join, if nothing else pops up. a lot more efficient.. a lot.

Original post by inhuman
you must have a **** job. i work 42 a week and make more than you.

perhaps, that sounds great :smile:
not that I know off, there are some econ guys on the floor. but as far as I'm aware ucl generally places well

ask away, im happy to answer them.. sure send me a pm

still looking to join, if nothing else pops up. a lot more efficient.. a lot.

perhaps, that sounds great :smile:

Do you own a German whip?
Original post by Blue_Mason
Do you own a German whip?

a Vauxhall Astra, so no.. very much British
Reply 75
Can I work for you?
That'll be your mother, chiding you for precious revision hours wasted on TSR.
How did you get your job?
A few questions
Do you live in London or did you move to London?
How did you get the internship, was it difficult/competitive? What was the process?
Also do you think not going out drinking limits your contacts?
Sorry about all the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hanaan999
Do you live in London or did you move to London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's a London lad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest