The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me access my savings...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mobbsy91
You needed an s6??

Doesnt everyone?
Original post by MaterialBoy
So I've been told since the age of 7 I can't access my savings it's for my future. I'm 16... this is my future. They tell me I'll need money before I get a flat, money for a car all that stuff. And yes... I will. But I'll have a job by the time I want to move, I'm trying now and I'm 16. In fact I've had a couple interviews recently so I could well be getting a job. So I took £100 out of my account last week to put towards a new phone (saving for the s6, should have enough by next week once my iPod/current phone has sold), I told myself they're not in charge of my money. They haven't found out yet but they probably will when I get my new phone.

I didn't ask because I shouldn't have to. It's my money. I've had to put up with a brick for the past 2 years now I'm choosing to upgrade using my own money. It's not like I'm 8 and I'm buying barbie dolls with my spare cash.

In case you're wondering, the money if from things such as birthdays/christmas's etc... whenever I get cheques I pay them into the savings account.

Thoughts?

I think it was definitely irresponsible of you to take out that money from your savings account, which only exists so that when you're actually a little older you don't have to stress about every penny and can comfortably use your money on important obligations that come about when you're an independent adult. You have brazenly proven that you have little financial awareness and are unaware of the actual reason behind you being in possession that money. It wasn't given to you by your relatives (which btw makes it worse IMO) so that you could spend it on a phone which you'll forget about soon enough. It was given to you to be spent wisely on things you will need, not things you want. I don't want to seem harsh but it really wasn't a smart move.
Original post by 999tigger
Doesnt everyone?

Well, I am sure everyone wants a decent smartphone, but given how he's said how he took the money because he needed a new phone, a cheaper phone would've sufficed where he wouldn't have needed to take out the £100... Ofcourse, he's entitled to the latest smartphone, I'd totally forgotten that.

I have no sympathy with his situation given that he doesn't need an s6.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Settle
I think it was definitely irresponsible of you to take out that money from your savings account, which only exists so that when you're actually a little older you don't have to stress about every penny and can comfortably use your money on important obligations that come about when you're an independent adult. You have brazenly proven that you have little financial awareness and are unaware of the actual reason behind you being in possession that money. It wasn't given to you by your relatives (which btw makes it worse IMO) so that you could spend it on a phone which you'll forget about soon enough. It was given to you to be spent wisely on things you will need, not things you want. I don't want to seem harsh but it really wasn't a smart move.

How do you know? Are you one of his relatives? If I gave a 7 year old child money for their birthday, I'd expect them to spend it on something useless or save up to buy something expensive like a games console. They may choose to save some of it. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if I found out that they hadn't saved the money as a deposit for their first flat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mobbsy91
Well, I am sure everyone wants a decent smartphone, but given how he's said how he took the money because he needed a new phone, a cheaper phone would've sufficed where he wouldn't have needed to take out the £100... Ofcourse, he's entitled to the latest smartphone, I'd totally forgotten that.

I have no sympathy with his situation given that he doesn't need an s6.

irony doesnt work on this forum. See my pevious post to see where I was coming from.
Original post by 999tigger
irony doesnt work on this forum. See my pevious post to see where I was coming from.

Haha, fairs fairs!
Original post by Shumaya
How do you know? Are you one of his relatives? If I gave a 7 year old child money for their birthday, I'd definitely expect them to spend it on something useless, not save it as a deposit for their first flat.

"So I've been told since the age of 7 I can't access my savings it's for my future"
I'm assuming really, but he does say that
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Settle
"So I've been told since the age of 7 I can't access my savings it's for my future"

So? It's his birthday/christmas money from over the years. His parents can give their opinion on what the money should be spent on, but that doesn't mean that his relatives gave him the money with the expectation that he'd save it for his first flat/car. The whole point of a cash gift is usually so that the person can treat themselves/choose exactly what they want/save it if they want to.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending