The Student Room Group

Heriot Watt Accommodation Help

hi there so recently found out that i got into university to study Accountancy and Finance at heriot watt in edinburgh, looking for some advice on the accommodation? i don't know whether to apply for the Christina Miller halls at £150 a week or the other ones like Robert Bryson, George Burnett and Lord Thomson Halls. Any advice?
I would say that you should look for where bills are included because that helps a lot and look at the location and quality of your options and pick the one that you like.
Reply 2
I am always surprised that so many people actually go for the halls. Have compared the costs with privately rented accommodation and actually went for a large 2 bedroom flat (to share with just one other student). Total costs for a full year (12 months, not only 40 weeks term time because I don't want to start accommodation hunting again each year) of my share amounts to just 2 thirds of what the halls cost. And I only have to share living room, kitchen and bathroom with one person. So halls are not always the cheaper option. Why do most people go for it?
Original post by Patzel
I am always surprised that so many people actually go for the halls. Have compared the costs with privately rented accommodation and actually went for a large 2 bedroom flat (to share with just one other student). Total costs for a full year (12 months, not only 40 weeks term time because I don't want to start accommodation hunting again each year) of my share amounts to just 2 thirds of what the halls cost. And I only have to share living room, kitchen and bathroom with one person. So halls are not always the cheaper option. Why do most people go for it?

Hi Patzel,

Halls and houses both have their advantages - it honestly depends on what you're looking for in accommodation :smile:

A couple of reasons why people prefer halls are:

More socialable

Living with 1 or 2 other people in a house is great if you know those housemates well, and if you live close to your other friends. But for first year students, halls are a great place to meet tons of new people (especially if you're arriving to a new city/country).

Academic years are put together so that no one ever feels excluded :smile:

Ease of Living

Halls offer all-inclusive utility bills (water, gas, electricity, internet) in the price so you will always know what you will pay. So you don't have to worry about setting up/cancelling suppliers, or worrying about how much it will cost per month depending on usage.

Security

With 24 hour security and contents insurance, it gives peace of mind. Plus we have onsite maintenance team to help fix any problems that may arise.

Facilities

Our halls have gyms, cinema rooms, social spaces with pool tables etc. Depending on what your interested in, but most of our residents find that it adds value to what you get. Plus, as with the first point, it's a great way to meet like-minded people.

Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I think one is more in control of everything when setting up suppliers, shopping around for best deals etc. and of course watching the usage.
In later life one does actually benefit from experiences made in younger years how to save money if not all is included.
And I am not so sure about having peace and quiet in halls :wink:
Original post by Patzel
I think one is more in control of everything when setting up suppliers, shopping around for best deals etc. and of course watching the usage.
In later life one does actually benefit from experiences made in younger years how to save money if not all is included.
And I am not so sure about having peace and quiet in halls :wink:

Living in a house is definitely a right of passage :smile:
Original post by lumby9
hi there so recently found out that i got into university to study Accountancy and Finance at heriot watt in edinburgh, looking for some advice on the accommodation? i don't know whether to apply for the Christina Miller halls at £150 a week or the other ones like Robert Bryson, George Burnett and Lord Thomson Halls. Any advice?

Hi lumby9 :wavey:

Sorry that we're a bit late to the party on this convo :blush: but let me know if you've got any more questions about halls that we can help with!

Carole

Quick Reply

Latest