The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job?

I've been working at McDonald's for a month. The work itself is not difficult and some of the people are great.

But I suffer from depression/anxiety and I don't think this job is helping. I'm going to uni in September and I'd like to start going to the gym regularly and doing some reading in preparation for my course. I'd like to get a first and do a postgrad degree but I doubt I'd even get a 2.2 right now as my brain is always foggy and my memory is terrible. I think this would improve if I made my lifestyle healthier. I know most people are able to hold down a part time job while going to the gym and doing a bit of reading but I just can't.

I work 3/4 days per week. When I'm not at work, all I can do is watch shows on netflix and dread my next shift. The shifts are usually okay but I can't help feeling anxious the day before. I've also tried going to the gym after work (it's cheaper to do so as I already have a bus ticket for that day), but I'm always exhausted. I'm also scared of my muscles aching during my shift.

When I have a bad day at work, it brings my mood down for the whole day and it's unnecessary stress. For example, there's a guy there (who isn't even a trainer), who constantly barks after me if I'm a bit slow. Yesterday he shouted at me for running to get more lettuce while dressing big macs. When he does this, I end up feeling really anxious and making mistakes. The funny thing is, when he's not been there in the past, I've managed to run the burger production area without any supervision. Sometimes I'me completely alone and sometimes it's just me leading another trainee doing a job that usually requires 3 people.

Anyway, it feels like I'm just a quitter and I'm making excuses. Do you think my reasons for quitting are legit? I feel down because a lot of people juggle work and uni, but I can't even handle work, the gym, and uni prep work. What should I do? If i quit, I won't have money but I'd rather have no money than be unprepared for my degree. Gym membership is not an issue as my parents pay for it.
Don't stay in a job you don't like if you don't need to. Go have fun, and forget about working until you need the money and/or experience.
if there isn't a supportive environment where you work, your days in that job are numbered. If that job isn't relevant to the career you're pursuing, leave it out of your CV. I would say uni prep is your main priority, once at uni find relevant work placements.
It sounds like your depression/anxiety is crippling you. The first thing you need to do is find confidence and decide on what you want to do with your life. The first step towards this is making decisions for yourself instead of looking for others to support your decisions.

If you wish to quit. Just do it. You clearly want to do other things with your time (e.g gym and studying) so go and do that. Don't worry about other people who are able to hold down a part time job, while studying and going gym. You aren't other people. You do what you feel is best for you and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

You're not a quitter or making excuses. You have a limited amount of time to do what you want on this rock. Your reasons are legit simply from you wanting to do them. You've also justified why you want to quit so just do it. Money is overrated.
Reply 4
Thanks guys! I've decided to quit and focus on myself. My parents will be annoyed but I really think it's for the best.
By making that decision to quit, you are showing how strong you are. You're not a quitter, you are aware of yourself and what you need to ensure your own happiness, success and self compassion. Well done! It's hard to do, but you'll thank yourself for it later. Nothing worse than being in a dead end job that is making you unhappy. I know, I've had more than my fair Share! 😂
I encourage you to quit that job if you don't like it there. I have recently quit my job in KFC, after speaking to many people I realised that a job you dread going to and that makes you feel anxious and depressed at the thought of going is not worth it. My advice is try and find a job in a smaller shop such as, a clothing shop or somewhere that is less demanding and will open and close at reasonable times. Your education is way more important than a job in McDonalds, if you find yourself only being able to do either work or university I would 100% go with university 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
all i heard is that trying to get some disability allowance nowadays is harder than before. they literally make you jump through hoops now trying to 'prove' that you are ill. apparently the doctors word is not enough. so just be prepared for that.
Reply 8
Original post by ELVsLP
all i heard is that trying to get some disability allowance nowadays is harder than before. they literally make you jump through hoops now trying to 'prove' that you are ill. apparently the doctors word is not enough. so just be prepared for that.

Don't worry, I'm not planning on claiming any benefits. I don't really need to as I'll be going to university in September.
Reply 9
McDonald's? Yes, quit now while you still have some dignity! No offence I just think it's time you moved onto bigger things.
Original post by zayn008
McDonald's? Yes, quit now while you still have some dignity! No offence I just think it's time you moved onto bigger things.

haha it wasn't that bad as a summer job. I do feel sorry for the older people I met who'll probably be there for the rest of their lives though!
Original post by zayn008

I agree with you! The work is so degrading and soul destroying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
haha it wasn't that bad as a summer job. I do feel sorry for the older people I met who'll probably be there for the rest of their lives though!

I wonder how the McDonald's pension scheme pays out? Thank god I don't have to worry myself with questions like that at night haha
If you're currently struggling to function normally with a job (I'm considering "normally" here to mean "healthily" as in able to do more than one big thing per day), I'd definitely recommend seeing your doctor, if you haven't already. Alternatively, if you're already in some kind of treatment, maybe talking about different options if it's not helping much currently?
Original post by stripystockings
If you're currently struggling to function normally with a job (I'm considering "normally" here to mean "healthily" as in able to do more than one big thing per day), I'd definitely recommend seeing your doctor, if you haven't already. Alternatively, if you're already in some kind of treatment, maybe talking about different options if it's not helping much currently?

yeah I'm going back to my GP this week. I've just had therapy so far and it hasn't done anything for me.
Original post by Anonymous
yeah I'm going back to my GP this week. I've just had therapy so far and it hasn't done anything for me.

I'm glad you're going back to your GP! Please try asking about other options - there are so many different kinds of therapy and some kinds just don't work for some people - or there just isn't a connection with the therapist. There might be different programmes available in your area/your Uni's area that could be much more helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest