The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Unconditional Student with No Halls

I've been very upset and disappointed with the University of Portsmouth recently and have decided to post something on TSR to see if any other unconditonals have had the same problem.

After confirming my unconditional offer at the end of April and applying to housing in the middle of May I awaited my email to confirm that I had a place in halls. My friend, who does not have an unconditional offer, applied a few days later than me and got her email confirming that she had a place in Rees Hall three weeks ago. A week ago I got an email saying that there were no places left in halls and that I would have to stay in shared temporary accommodation for a while, yet this did still not guarantee that I would be able to stay in halls during my first year.

I have called the housing team multiple times and have had very condescending and mixed replies when I have asked what happened to my housing application - first saying that my application was too late (I then explained about my friend and others who had applied after me) and then blaming it on the 'faculty quotas', which also does not make any sense seeing as surely no matter what course you do all first years should be given the opportunity to stay in halls and be able to make new friends.

Portsmouth has been so unhelpful at this point that it is making me reconsider going to their university, which is a big decision to make seeing as how I have no insurance and this would mean dropping out of university entirely. I'd really like some answers as to why unconditionals don't get first priority when they're guaranteed to be going to the university, how these 'faculty quotas' mean I've not been given a place in halls and why the student housing team has done this to multiple people who have accepted unconditional offers - perhaps because they've already confirmed and there is no need to bribe them with the opportunity with halls?

I really wanted to get involved with university life but this whole situation gives me no hope for student life.
Reply 1
I have not even be told anything yet just that they will be in contact with me soon and that was on the 27th june so like two week ago..
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by Dmporter
I have not even be told anything yet just that they will be in contact with me soon and that was on the 27th june so like two week ago..

They said the same thing to me when I called them around that time as well! Hopefully your news will be better than mine but you might want to call them and double check to see if everything's alright - not sure how helpful the response will be though!
Reply 3
Yeah will give them a ring tomorrow see what they say but by looks of it doubt i will get a place in halls as seen quite a few people saying they aint got in and looking for other places.. Let me know if anything happens with you..I will let you know what happens.
I don't really know what to suggest but I do know what you mean by the housing team being rude- my mate called up with a query and was given brief, un-helpful information and was hung up on. I wouldn't think your unconditional offer would make any difference: I don't think the university would give you priority over other applicants because of that. I know some universities also allocate accommodation based on how far your current address is from the uni..? Don't know if Portsmouth do that. But really, it's too late to get a place in halls now: I assume that the original places that were rejected have now been given out (hence, why someone I know got James Watson about a week ago, another got Greetham ect.) Private rented is great though- if I didn't want catered I would have gone for it! It can be a lot cheaper- my friend is paying just £66 for hers and it's a nice place! haha.

As a friendly suggestion to the housing department as I know they are on these threads- next year more communication would be greatly appreciated by future freshers. From my own experience, I had no idea why some halls were being released and others weren't: why Rees and Burell were taking longer and how long I was expected to wait. The twitter feed was useful as I could tweet and get a response quickly, however, it could be more useful to have tweets/ emails going out to everyone generally such as: "Within the next 2 weeks guildhall halls will be allocated, if you do not receive an email.. ect." I noticed that the twitter feed was frequently answering the same questions and this would make life easier for both us and the department! Similarly, a lot of people found the next step after receiving a room difficult and from the freshers' Facebook group I know many people were calling up and emailing with the same questions. Emails with step by step explanations could be useful in this instance.

With all that said, I was very happy to receive Rees hall and am so excited to move in in September! xD aha
Reply 5
Yeah will give them a ring tomorrow see what they say but by looks of it doubt i will get a place in halls as seen quite a few people saying they aint got in and looking for other places.. Let me know if anything happens with you..I will let you know what happens.

Will do! It's really stressful being part of the small group of people who are basically homeless and no one is telling giving us pointers as to what to do. Really running out of options here..
Reply 6
Yeah i know haha just wait and see what they say would be totally surprised if they offered me a place in halls tho seeing the amount of people that have been told they have not got a place in them but fingers crossed eh.. Im bout send them an email now and hopefully i get a reply tomorrow if not then gonna ring but they seem to be very responsive when i emailed them before so will see. Will pm you when i know anything.
Reply 7
Original post by IzzyWatkins
I don't really know what to suggest but I do know what you mean by the housing team being rude- my mate called up with a query and was given brief, un-helpful information and was hung up on. I wouldn't think your unconditional offer would make any difference: I don't think the university would give you priority over other applicants because of that. I know some universities also allocate accommodation based on how far your current address is from the uni..? Don't know if Portsmouth do that. But really, it's too late to get a place in halls now: I assume that the original places that were rejected have now been given out (hence, why someone I know got James Watson about a week ago, another got Greetham ect.) Private rented is great though- if I didn't want catered I would have gone for it! It can be a lot cheaper- my friend is paying just £66 for hers and it's a nice place! haha.

As a friendly suggestion to the housing department as I know they are on these threads- next year more communication would be greatly appreciated by future freshers. From my own experience, I had no idea why some halls were being released and others weren't: why Rees and Burell were taking longer and how long I was expected to wait. The twitter feed was useful as I could tweet and get a response quickly, however, it could be more useful to have tweets/ emails going out to everyone generally such as: "Within the next 2 weeks guildhall halls will be allocated, if you do not receive an email.. ect." I noticed that the twitter feed was frequently answering the same questions and this would make life easier for both us and the department! Similarly, a lot of people found the next step after receiving a room difficult and from the freshers' Facebook group I know many people were calling up and emailing with the same questions. Emails with step by step explanations could be useful in this instance.

With all that said, I was very happy to receive Rees hall and am so excited to move in in September! xD aha

Completely agree that their communication with the applicants needs to improve, I've been completely out of the loop and I have no idea whats going on. Don't know what happened to the supposed 'weekly' information we were supposed to get!

And as for saying that unconditionals should get priority, I only meant that we have no insurance so Portsmouth is our only option, so it would have been nice to be offered somewhere to stay if we're already signed up for the course.

I'm happy for you that you have some accommodation secured and don't have to worry about having to get last-minute accommodation in a city you've never lived in before. Needless to say it's quite stressful aha :smile:
Reply 8
All I can suggest is look on gumtree and spareroom and see if you can find a room in a shared house or something. It's also cheaper than halls usually.

It's crap they did something like that but you can possibly sort something out.
Reply 9
Yeah i know haha just wait and see what they say would be totally surprised if they offered me a place in halls tho seeing the amount of people that have been told they have not got a place in them but fingers crossed eh.. Im bout send them an email now and hopefully i get a reply tomorrow if not then gonna ring but they seem to be very responsive when i emailed them before so will see. Will pm you when i know anything.

Good luck! Thank you for that, will keep in touch with you also! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Devify
All I can suggest is look on gumtree and spareroom and see if you can find a room in a shared house or something. It's also cheaper than halls usually.

It's crap they did something like that but you can possibly sort something out.

Honestly until you're in the situation you have no idea how stressful it is to find somewhere at the last minute, especially when I thought I had done everything right! :frown:
Thank you for the suggestions, will take them on board! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by sophiehill
Honestly until you're in the situation you have no idea how stressful it is to find somewhere at the last minute, especially when I thought I had done everything right! :frown:
Thank you for the suggestions, will take them on board! :smile:

I've been there. At one point I had to move out by the end of the month and I didn't know if I would have to live on the streets or what. But it worked out in the end.

Good luck figuring it out tho.
For 2016/17 at the University of Portsmouth we are able to offer at least 90% of new first year students who make us their firm choice a place in halls of residence. Students were able to apply for a place once they had firmly accepted a conditional or unconditional offer, with places being allocated in order of receipt of accommodation application within Faculty quotas. Students are informed from July onwards of the outcome of their application, earlier in some instances where we can. Any places that become available through cancellations are offered out in this same order.

Students who we are not able to place in halls of residence are given access to our housing portal where there is support and advice on house-hunting in the city and information on the properties registered for advertising with us through www.portsmouthstudentpad.co.uk We advise students to look at this site for student properties.

Students can also come to one of our house-hunting support events where we help students to meet each other and go out house-hunting together - we provide transport, contract checking and advice as you house-hunt. These days are usually very successful and we encourage any student looking to find accommodation in the city to attend one - they are bookable through the housing portal. Many of our students find they prefer living in the city in a student house as it can be cost effective and houses are normally close by and in easy access of the main University buildings. We will be contacting sophiehill to offer advice and support and would encourage any student with any concerns about their accommodation to contact the Student Housing team on [email protected] or 02392 843214.
I've been very upset and disappointed with the University of Portsmouth recently and have decided to post something on TSR to see if any other unconditonals have had the same problem.

After confirming my unconditional offer at the end of April and applying to housing in the middle of May I awaited my email to confirm that I had a place in halls. My friend, who does not have an unconditional offer, applied a few days later than me and got her email confirming that she had a place in Rees Hall three weeks ago. A week ago I got an email saying that there were no places left in halls and that I would have to stay in shared temporary accommodation for a while, yet this did still not guarantee that I would be able to stay in halls during my first year.

I have called the housing team multiple times and have had very condescending and mixed replies when I have asked what happened to my housing application - first saying that my application was too late (I then explained about my friend and others who had applied after me) and then blaming it on the 'faculty quotas', which also does not make any sense seeing as surely no matter what course you do all first years should be given the opportunity to stay in halls and be able to make new friends.

Portsmouth has been so unhelpful at this point that it is making me reconsider going to their university, which is a big decision to make seeing as how I have no insurance and this would mean dropping out of university entirely. I'd really like some answers as to why unconditionals don't get first priority when they're guaranteed to be going to the university, how these 'faculty quotas' mean I've not been given a place in halls and why the student housing team has done this to multiple people who have accepted unconditional offers - perhaps because they've already confirmed and there is no need to bribe them with the opportunity with halls?

I really wanted to get involved with university life but this whole situation gives me no hope for student life.

Wow by your version they sound really rude and could do with some customer service skills. I would consider putting in a complaint (if they have a complaints system) just to highlight how they can do better. They should always be seeking to improve as you pay their wages.

Try and find out where you are in the queue. There are always cancellations from people who dont get the grades or even closer to those people who get homesick or decide Uni isnt for them. The temp accommodation makes sense as you wouldnt be tied down and could then move into a place if and when one became available. In contrast if you went private then you would be tied down for the years contract unless you could find a replacement.

Its not the end of the world if you dont get into halls and a student house at the beginning can be fine if you get the right group of students, but its hit and miss. Hope you get sorted.
A week ago I got an email saying that there were no places left in halls and that I would have to stay in shared temporary accommodation for a while, yet this did still not guarantee that I would be able to stay in halls during my first year.

Hi
I have just come across your post and read about the issues you facing with not getting a place in the University's halls. Understandably this is a stressful experience, however I do hope this doesn’t change your decision to study in Portsmouth. As you'll no doubt be aware, the University itself has an excellent reputation and the city is also a great place to live and study.

Reading your post I noticed that the alternative accommodation options the university had recommended did not mention private halls providers. Therefore, I thought it might be worth mentioning that this is also another alternative available to you, as there are several private halls in the city, including ourselves, Unilife Student Living. Therefore, if you are looking for an all-inclusive accommodation package as opposed to a shared private house or temporary accommodation, then this is another option to think about.

Which course are you planning to study and do you know which building most of your lectures will be based in? If so, I will be able to recommend which of our halls will be in the best location for you.

I hope this helps :smile:

Antony
www.unilife.co.uk
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by UoP InfoCentre
For 2016/17 at the University of Portsmouth we are able to offer at least 90% of new first year students who make us their firm choice a place in halls of residence. Students were able to apply for a place once they had firmly accepted a conditional or unconditional offer, with places being allocated in order of receipt of accommodation application within Faculty quotas. Students are informed from July onwards of the outcome of their application, earlier in some instances where we can. Any places that become available through cancellations are offered out in this same order.

Students who we are not able to place in halls of residence are given access to our housing portal where there is support and advice on house-hunting in the city and information on the properties registered for advertising with us through www.portsmouthstudentpad.co.uk We advise students to look at this site for student properties.

Students can also come to one of our house-hunting support events where we help students to meet each other and go out house-hunting together - we provide transport, contract checking and advice as you house-hunt. These days are usually very successful and we encourage any student looking to find accommodation in the city to attend one - they are bookable through the housing portal. Many of our students find they prefer living in the city in a student house as it can be cost effective and houses are normally close by and in easy access of the main University buildings. We will be contacting sophiehill to offer advice and support and would encourage any student with any concerns about their accommodation to contact the Student Housing team on [email protected] or 02392 843214.

Hi I'm going to be a first year studying computer science. I was wondering how I can book for the house-hunting support events?
Original post by Micky297
Hi I'm going to be a first year studying computer science. I was wondering how I can book for the house-hunting support events?

Hi there, you can book a place on one of the events via the Student Home Portal - you should have received an e-mail from us containing a link to the Portal and your personal login.

Hope this helps!

The Student Housing Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending