The Student Room Group

''Women's Studies is a load of rubbish!''

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatOldGuy
According to the National Post, Women's Studies is, "
too political, too radical, and undeserving of an existence in the academy (Belyk 2009; Cole 2010; National Post Editorial January 25, 2010; The Current; January 12, 2010).

Here is the rebuttal:

http://journals.msvu.ca/index.php/atlantis/article/viewFile/926/922

Ultimately, my concern with Women's Studies is that it doesn't encourage critical thinking in any way, shape or form. That sounds harsh and disrespectful, but what I mean by that is that it simply accepts one side of an argument and utterly dismisses all truth contrary to its ideas.

When there is no room for true dissent in a discipline, there is no room for real growth. If you want to see someone shouted down very quickly, watch someone offering counter-revolutionary ideas in a Women's Studies classroom. This makes the study more of a dogmatic study than a true discipline- Which is fine as long as it is portrayed in the same way as theological studies, but it is portrayed as something that encourages critical thinking. That causes a disconnect with people who study philosophy, history or other tangential critical thinking modules.

Who wrote this?
Margaret Hobbs and Carla Rice, some bigwigs in Women's Studies at Trent University.

The comments as an addendum after the quote were my own. Ultimately, I think Women's Studies are important and it -has- made real strides. It is, however, prone to dogmatic thought. That makes me uneasy.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So you're saying people do courses they are interested in?

"The term atomic physics is often associated with nuclear power and nuclear weapons, due to the synonymous use of atomic and nuclear in standard English "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_physics

It's called nuance.

I'm on a student forum. Not writing a research paper. Standard English will suffice.

I meant it as a joke. Anyway you were referring to nuclear physics, not atomic physics. Atomic physics refers to atoms and nuclei, nuclear physics refers to nuclei only... A bit of pedantry, but you triggered me :biggrin:
Margaret Hobbs and Carla Rice, some bigwigs in Women's Studies at Trent University.

The comments as an addendum after the quote were my own. Ultimately, I think Women's Studies are important and it -has- made real strides. It is, however, prone to dogmatic thought. That makes me uneasy.

Is this NTU or another university? I've never heard of it in my life tbh. If the review was from the lecturers at Oxford I would be more impressed
As there are no undergraduate "Women's Studies" degrees in the UK and only two that offer "Gender Studies" as part of a joint honors you might struggle to find anyone. At masters level it's just focusing on a very specific subject as masters should be - Basically a specialized sociology masters.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by washington.
ba (hons) women studies curriculum:

year 1
hair
year 2
nails
year 3
makeup

hahahahahaha
Reply 66
It's TSR not Tumblr...
In all seriousness, I don't have much of an opinion on it, but I find that it's a sociology degree that is unnecessarily specific to a very niche subject that could easily be done by the usage of optional modules and is just being used as a selling point for the super left.
Life is rubbish
I had to do a feminist criticism on a novel for my English Literature coursework, I based a lot of my work on feminist theory.

I actually haven't worked as hard on anything in my life as I did on that coursework, I read pdf after pdf of work written by feminist theorists like Kate Millet.

Honestly, everyone on here who takes the piss is just ignorant, the stuff I came across was so interesting. It opened my eyes to so many things, the way the world is structured, it opened my eyes not only to the world of gender roles but to religion and racism. The social structures that we all live under and conform too, and the flaws within them and also the things that are right within them and things we shouldn't change because it would ruin the system we have become so accustomed too.

Not every feminist theorist slates men, you are ignorant if you think so. They critique women and men, they critique class systems, religion and politics. It's actually all very interesting.

If you just go around with your head up in the clouds and only study what you deem as prestigious, you will never actually be able to call yourself educated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
@AngryRedhead

I had to do a feminist criticism on a novel for my English Literature coursework, I based a lot of my work on feminist theory.

I actually haven't worked as hard on anything in my life as I did on that coursework, I read pdf after pdf of work written by feminist theorists like Kate Millet.

Honestly, everyone on here who takes the piss is just ignorant, the stuff I came across was so interesting. It opened my eyes to so many things, the way the world is structured, it opened my eyes not only to the world of gender roles but to religion and racism. The social structures that we all live under and conform too, and the flaws within them and also the things that are right within them and things we shouldn't change because it would ruin the system we have become so accustomed too.

Not every feminist theorist slates men, you are ignorant if you think so. They critique women and men, they critique class systems, religion and politics. It's actually all very interesting.

If you just go around with your head up in the clouds and only study what you deem as prestigious, you will never actually be able to call yourself educated.

Feminism. LOL
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Feminism. LOL

What?
Original post by oShahpo
I meant it as a joke.

I know. My buthurt post was more aimed at the numpty who thought I got reckt. :tongue:

What?
I'm satirising the kind of non intellectual response who would get from a lot of people on here. :qed:

Original post by MJ1012
It's TSR not Tumblr...In all seriousness, I don't have much of an opinion on it, but I find that it's a sociology degree that is unnecessarily specific to a very niche subject that could easily be done by the usage of optional modules and is just being used as a selling point for the super left.

Yes. Studying 50% of the human race is very niche. :facepalm:
(edited 7 years ago)
@AngryRedhead

Thank you, your answer is by far the most useful and insightful on this entire thread. Feminism is very much still needed in the world, especially in the countries currently under the iron handed rule of Islam.
According to the National Post, Women's Studies is, "
too political, too radical, and undeserving of an existence in the academy (Belyk 2009; Cole 2010; National Post Editorial January 25, 2010; The Current; January 12, 2010).

Here is the rebuttal:

http://journals.msvu.ca/index.php/atlantis/article/viewFile/926/922

Ultimately, my concern with Women's Studies is that it doesn't encourage critical thinking in any way, shape or form. That sounds harsh and disrespectful, but what I mean by that is that it simply accepts one side of an argument and utterly dismisses all truth contrary to its ideas.

When there is no room for true dissent in a discipline, there is no room for real growth. If you want to see someone shouted down very quickly, watch someone offering counter-revolutionary ideas in a Women's Studies classroom. This makes the study more of a dogmatic study than a true discipline- Which is fine as long as it is portrayed in the same way as theological studies, but it is portrayed as something that encourages critical thinking. That causes a disconnect with people who study philosophy, history or other tangential critical thinking modules.

This has been the only post negative towards woman's studies that has actually been any good :-/
Reply 74
Original post by loveleest
I have never heard of it. What actually is it?

Men bashing, it teaches women to blame all their problems on men and the 'patriarchy' rather than do an actual degree and get a good job.
Reply 75
Original post by nobodycarescarla
A massive feminist you say? Woah gotta watch out for those. Don't want to run into one of those pesky massive feminists, trying to promote equality for women and that.

Yes it is 'equality' people disagree with not the kill all men put them in camp ideas they come up with.
Original post by joecphillips
Men bashing, it teaches women to blame all their problems on men and the 'patriarchy' rather than do an actual degree and get a good job.

Lol.
I am not too sure about this. Want to share how you came to this conclusion?
Reply 77
Original post by loveleest
Lol.
I am not too sure about this. Want to share how you came to this conclusion?

The fact that the people who dare disagree with the lecturers get shouted down, in some places people have been threatened of being kicked out of uni (Canada not uk) for speaking out about problems with what the lecturers are indoctrinating students to think, this is anecdotal but I have heard of one place where students talked about abuse in relationships and the students laughed at the male who actually faced abuse in a relationship and felt sorry for the females who classed a normal argument as abuse.
Except feminism seems to have a completely illogical tendency to defend Islam. :p:
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Except feminism seems to have a completely illogical tendency to defend Islam. :p:

I've actually never seen this ever happening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending