The Student Room Group

Have I damaged my chances of finding a job after sending this email?

Scroll to see replies

I'd love to know if they reply :')
Kinda ruined the email with the 'poopy pants' bit, you just sound incredibly infantile and they'll think they had a lucky escape. I don't think there's anything wrong with writing a complaint if they genuinely did waste your time and petrol but not the kind of email you sent, and there was no need at all to put down everyone working in that office - having a degree does not make you better than those individuals, at the least they are in paid employment
Original post by M1011
I can see the point was lost on you.... I have a degree -> it has ZERO relevance to whether degrees in general are a good indicator of ability etc -> therefore I declined your question as it's irrelevant.

If I was lying I would simply make something up. For example, I could claim to be a "2i graduate in joint honours Sociology with Theatre Studies degree Derby university (UK) class of 2016" - maybe I spent the last 3 years sitting next to you in class?

I see I've touched a nerve. Come back to me after you've spent a couple years in the working world and tell me if you still feel the same way. Once you've worked with people from top universities that don't have a clue, you'll realise how a degree in itself really isn't a great indicator of anything.

Spoiler

It took all of that to get your degree out of you?

Spoiler

Original post by M1011
I can see the point was lost on you.... I have a degree -> it has ZERO relevance to whether degrees in general are a good indicator of ability etc -> therefore I declined your question as it's irrelevant.

If I was lying I would simply make something up. For example, I could claim to be a "2i graduate in joint honours Sociology with Theatre Studies degree Derby university (UK) class of 2016" - maybe I spent the last 3 years sitting next to you in class?

I see I've touched a nerve. Come back to me after you've spent a couple years in the working world and tell me if you still feel the same way. Once you've worked with people from top universities that don't have a clue, you'll realise how a degree in itself really isn't a great indicator of anything.

Spoiler

I'm thinking about going in to research, and you definitely can't do this without an excellent education, not even good, or very good.

Original post by KingLhasaApso
I agree. Degrees aren't an indicator for excellence, a lot of companies with none technical roles like them because they show commitment and academic level, the subject is often less of a factor.
But generally they don't hold much weight.
And before the university ambassadors start I have a degree in Business Studies, majoring in Accounting and Finance, I have many years working in recruitment and am now a 50% owner/director of a finance company. Whilst I agree agency consultants are often crap at getting back to candidates, they are governed completely by the pressure of sales figures and the companies who want the roles filling, as somebody stated thats the industry.

Also I note somebody comparing a modern day degree to one of 25 years ago, I imagine degrees from then were much harder to achieve due to having to write the majority of coursework, read and source textbooks only and no internet or email available. . Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Degrees were mucg easier back then, i'm afraid. My dad got a 3rd, and he paid other people to write his essays for him!
Original post by J-SP
Nothing stopping people doing that now. Either it's got easier or grades have become easier to obtain as there is a lot of evidence of grade inflation across all universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All i know is that i worked my balls off to get my degree, for five years, and the only reason why i scraped a 2.1 in the end, is because i got a left wing supervisor for my dissertation. God help us. God help me.
I would say kisy like A levels there has been grade inflation.
Original post by 999tigger
I would say kisy like A levels there has been grade inflation.

I'm sorry but i don't understand this sentence, particularly this word?!?
Original post by john2054
I'm sorry but i don't understand this sentence, particularly this word?!?

Sorry it was a typo.

Just like A levels.
Reply 108
No matter how 'fabulous' your CV is, I'd never employ someone with an attitude like that!
With all due respect, a third and getting somebody else to write his work hardly supports the idea that degrees were much easier then, in fact the opposite. If you'd said he got a first and did his assignments the night before deadline from start to finish then maybe your point would hold more weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
It took all of that to get your degree out of you?

Spoiler

Do you seriously still not get it?

Now that you know my degree, can you tell me the relevance of your question? What bearing has it on the situation? If your answer is none, then you now know why I didn't give credence to your question.

I'm thinking about going in to research, and you definitely can't do this without an excellent education, not even good, or very good.

Degrees were mucg easier back then, i'm afraid. My dad got a 3rd, and he paid other people to write his essays for him!

Your evidence of degrees being much easier is someone getting a 3rd? That's like saying A-levels were really easy back then, everyone got D's even with cheating! Yay!

I can't quite make out if you're a troll or not... what form of 'research' are you going to do with your 'excellent' education..?
Original post by M1011
Do you seriously still not get it?

Now that you know my degree, can you tell me the relevance of your question? What bearing has it on the situation? If your answer is none, then you now know why I didn't give credence to your question.

Your evidence of degrees being much easier is someone getting a 3rd? That's like saying A-levels were really easy back then, everyone got D's even with cheating! Yay!

I can't quite make out if you're a troll or not... what form of 'research' are you going to do with your 'excellent' education..?

I don't know. Maybe researching what glasses my boss wants me to wash for the new pub job i have applied for.

Seriously though, so what that you got a good degree and didn't have to put any work in? I also got a good degree. And it just so happens that i worked my socks off for it.

Like i worked my socks to get out of hospital at the end of 2011, like i worked my socks off to win the visa to bring my wife over in 2013, like i worked my socks off to win my yellow belt in Aikido. But what was your point again? I seem to have forgot....
Reply 112
I don't know. Maybe researching what glasses my boss wants me to wash for the new pub job i have applied for.

Seriously though, so what that you got a good degree and didn't have to put any work in? I also got a good degree. And it just so happens that i worked my socks off for it.

Like i worked my socks to get out of hospital at the end of 2011, like i worked my socks off to win the visa to bring my wife over in 2013, like i worked my socks off to win my yellow belt in Aikido. But what was your point again? I seem to have forgot....

Sigh... congratulations, you worked hard for your degree. Is that what you're after?

None of this changes the fact that to say you have to be intelligent, hard working, or even vaguely aware of your surroundings to get a degree these days is just plain wrong. That doesn't mean every degree is easy, nor does it mean there's no value in them, but plenty of them are absolute jokes. Unfortunately it's so common to have a degree these days that people often need one just to tick a box on an application form, regardless of the fact they could have spent 3 years gaining valuable work experience, which is a pretty stupid system if you ask me.*

But hey, BA Medieval Corset Studies w/ Slang, here I come.*
Original post by M1011
Sigh... congratulations, you worked hard for your degree. Is that what you're after?

None of this changes the fact that to say you have to be intelligent, hard working, or even vaguely aware of your surroundings to get a degree these days is just plain wrong. That doesn't mean every degree is easy, nor does it mean there's no value in them, but plenty of them are absolute jokes. Unfortunately it's so common to have a degree these days that people often need one just to tick a box on an application form, regardless of the fact they could have spent 3 years gaining valuable work experience, which is a pretty stupid system if you ask me.*

But hey, BA Medieval Corset Studies w/ Slang, here I come.*

Correct i worked hard to get my degree. And i worked every day hard for five years. Or longer if you include the two years i spent on acute wards, and the two years i spent doing my access. But what does this matter. Your degree in computer science was piss easy and you got a two one. What was your point again? Oh yes that there has been grade inflation, and clearly sending students to uni to incur huge levels of debt, and sometimes useless degrees, is purely futile, is clearly facile. Is this right, is that it? God I wish i had done maths at college, and saved myself the ride through the humanities. Clearly not having to work hard, trumps having to work hard every time.

Compare this to my friend who i met today, who quit his degree after the year, and went in to work, with a certificate. Or his girlfriend who finished her degree with a 2.2, because a very poor read cr*p teacher, failed her at the eleventh hour. Am i saying that degrees are worthless. No. Mine was useful for me. It kept me out of hospital for five years. And I can slow read a book a week, if i pay attention. And so what if you can read computer languages. I can also read and play through in their entirety books on chess. Which is formidable as that.

We all have our skills. neither the better. but i do have a problem with you saying that degrees are worthless, nowadays. just because your degree was worthless. you can't extrapolate. thanks.
Reply 114
Correct i worked hard to get my degree. And i worked every day hard for five years. Or longer if you include the two years i spent on acute wards, and the two years i spent doing my access. But what does this matter. Your degree in computer science was piss easy and you got a two one. What was your point again? Oh yes that there has been grade inflation, and clearly sending students to uni to incur huge levels of debt, and sometimes useless degrees, is purely futile, is clearly facile. Is this right, is that it? God I wish i had done maths at college, and saved myself the ride through the humanities. Clearly not having to work hard, trumps having to work hard every time.

Compare this to my friend who i met today, who quit his degree after the year, and went in to work, with a certificate. Or his girlfriend who finished her degree with a 2.2, because a very poor read cr*p teacher, failed her at the eleventh hour. Am i saying that degrees are worthless. No. Mine was useful for me. It kept me out of hospital for five years. And I can slow read a book a week, if i pay attention. And so what if you can read computer languages. I can also read and play through in their entirety books on chess. Which is formidable as that.

We all have our skills. neither the better. but i do have a problem with you saying that degrees are worthless, nowadays. just because your degree was worthless. you can't extrapolate. thanks.

I didn't do a Computer Science degree..? *

I feel like I've really touched a nerve with you, but I haven't got a clue why. Let me spell this out for you real easy. My comment has nothing to do with YOUR degree, or indeed MY degree. My comment was related to the generic assumption that someone has to be smart to generically have A degree.

Plenty of idiots have degrees, this isn't up for debate - it's a fact! That doesn't mean everyone with a degree is an idiot, do you understand the distinction?
Original post by M1011
I didn't do a Computer Science degree..? *

I feel like I've really touched a nerve with you, but I haven't got a clue why. Let me spell this out for you real easy. My comment has nothing to do with YOUR degree, or indeed MY degree. My comment was related to the generic assumption that someone has to be smart to generically have A degree.

Plenty of idiots have degrees, this isn't up for debate - it's a fact! That doesn't mean everyone with a degree is an idiot, do you understand the distinction?

what degree did you do then?
what degree did you do then?

Mate, you're not doing any favours here if you don't read his posts at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
banter
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have been reading his posts, what are you talking about?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have just reread them, and i can't see where he says the details of his degree. please help me out here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending