The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhatIsSleep
Damn that's lucky haha, I wish our school let us decide. You did the whole A level in a year? Are you going to do further maths? (I know a few schools that do maths one year then further maths the next year, that's why).

Yes im doing FM, which is why i did the whole a level. What board are you doing to the sciences, im doing OCR:s-smilie:
Original post by FusionNetworks
Yes im doing FM, which is why i did the whole a level. What board are you doing to the sciences, im doing OCR:s-smilie:

AQA ):
And that makes sense. How is your personal statement coming along?
Original post by NeverLucky
Thanks haha, it's mental here. I'll surpass my record of 4 days of continuous partying for sure :biggrin: it's ridiculously expensive tho - €18 for a vodka and coke!! Thats interesting, so does the holiday committee plan holidays for the whole year? I think this is where I'm meant to talk about the 'work hard, play hard' mentality but I've never really believed in that philosophy tbh hahaha.

6 marks on making a standard solution? I'm not sure if I could think of 6 points I could make but then again, I can't really remember how to even make one tbh hahaha.

I generally dislike the applied modules in Maths. Mechanics is interesting but it's quite difficult in Maths compared to Physics which is relatively straightforward. I wouldn't exactly say FP3 is particularly fun haha, maybe you'll change your mind once you do C4 Vectors.

I'm not sure which unis lower their offers if you do an EPQ - it certainly doesn't seem to be the case for the top unis, it didn't stop Imperial from giving me an A*A*AA offer! :s-smilie:

Yeah the interview was really daunting at first - it was my first experience at something like that so it was quite scary talking in front of 2 people and answering questions. But the experience is definitely useful as I had to talk to 4 people all asking me questions for one of my YINI interviews. It also relaxed me for my Cambridge ones - perhaps I was a bit too chill because I got rejected after. :biggrin:

I don't think I know anyone that likes C4 Vectors or just Vectors in general. I only really understood them after the exam was over so it was a bit pointless really and I forgot all of it anyway when we started learning FP3 Vectors. Luckily, the exam I sat only had an easy Vectors question so I was able to get full UMS in C4 which I was happy about.

That's good to hear, haha. Damn, I haven't had any days of continuous partying, but we'll see next year 😂😂 I bet you they increase the prices during holiday season, €18 seems ridiculous!! Yeah, there's a tradition of having a year 13 "holiday" but it's more of an extended party abroad haha.

I couldn't think of 6 things either, tho I think I wrote every step down. I think there were spag marks for that question anyway.

Haha I mean whilst I was actually learning the content for all my subjects, I hated every minute of it. But looking back, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the questions (and to some extent the exams) after having learnt the content. Idk it was kinda satisfying; I felt like I'd gotten somewhre.

I heard Birmingham lowers their offer from A*AA to AAA with an A in EPQ for most courses (except medicine), and a few others but I don't remember now. A*A*AA sounds insane, hopefully you get the grades you need (but I doubt you're worrying about that rn!)

You got an interview from Cambridge? Damn, that's pretty impressive, even though you got rejected. Did they ask more knowledge-based questions? Idk I've heard of some pretty weird ones, like they offered the interviewee a glass of water but first the interviewee had to tell them how many atoms were in the glass. 😂 the things you read online, though it does kinda seem like a plausible question to test knowledge.

That's good, full UMS damn. I'm hoping to come out with full UMS for a few of my maths modules but we'll see. You know they scrapped UMS for the new spec exams so we get the mark we got on the paper? :s-smilie:
Original post by richpanda
Hmmm I've heard bad things on TSR about UCL's chemical engineering department.

Yeah that's true, they're quite low on the leader boards for Chem eng. I might choose Sheffield its close to where I live :smile:
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
no its not once the requirements doesn't state you need a-level physics you don't need to do it(same with me I dont do a-level or even AS physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah okay, that's good to hear:biggrin:Should I choose mechanics1 instead of stats1 with maths next year?
Figuring out the volume of the water would be harder than the number of atoms. The equations really simple haha. Integration using circles would be required to get the volume, if drawn on a piece of paper...probably would have to be estimated using the trapezium rule then x by csa (circle area)
AQA ):
And that makes sense. How is your personal statement coming along?

Honestly have not started it :s-smilie: im worried as I have no work experience specifically related to Chem. Eng. How about yours?
Honestly have not started it :s-smilie: im worried as I have no work experience specifically related to Chem. Eng. How about yours?

They won't expect you to have relevant work experience for ChemEng unlike courses such as Medicine. It's just important to show interest in the course whether that's through extra reading, summer school or even just discussing an area of ChemEng you find interesting.
That's good to hear, haha. Damn, I haven't had any days of continuous partying, but we'll see next year 😂😂 I bet you they increase the prices during holiday season, €18 seems ridiculous!! Yeah, there's a tradition of having a year 13 "holiday" but it's more of an extended party abroad haha.

I couldn't think of 6 things either, tho I think I wrote every step down. I think there were spag marks for that question anyway.

Haha I mean whilst I was actually learning the content for all my subjects, I hated every minute of it. But looking back, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the questions (and to some extent the exams) after having learnt the content. Idk it was kinda satisfying; I felt like I'd gotten somewhre.

I heard Birmingham lowers their offer from A*AA to AAA with an A in EPQ for most courses (except medicine), and a few others but I don't remember now. A*A*AA sounds insane, hopefully you get the grades you need (but I doubt you're worrying about that rn!)

You got an interview from Cambridge? Damn, that's pretty impressive, even though you got rejected. Did they ask more knowledge-based questions? Idk I've heard of some pretty weird ones, like they offered the interviewee a glass of water but first the interviewee had to tell them how many atoms were in the glass. 😂 the things you read online, though it does kinda seem like a plausible question to test knowledge.

That's good, full UMS damn. I'm hoping to come out with full UMS for a few of my maths modules but we'll see. You know they scrapped UMS for the new spec exams so we get the mark we got on the paper? :s-smilie:

It'll very likely happen a lot in your next year as everyone in your year will be turning 18 so you can look forward to that. Yeah they probably do, it's not as bad cos those prices are only in the big clubs and you can get away with pre-drinking for very cheap. I suppose keeping within a budget goes out of the window when I just blew €200 on a tattoo 😂 that actually sounds amazing, so does everyone in the year just go to the same place?

That's pretty much the same as me, I disliked being in lessons. I was fortunate to go to one of the best schools in my area but lessons just bored me. In fact, I thought a lot of it was a waste of time cos it was only the 1-2 months before the exams that mattered to me - as long as I learnt it all before the exam it was fine hahaha (this goes against everyone people say about revising early and stuff but that will never be me, I'm always the person that won't revise until the very end).

I try not to think about my grades too much rn hahaha but it does occasionally come to mind when I have nothing to do (guess being drunk and hungover more than youre not has its benefits hahaha).

Yeah, I still don't really know how I actually performed during the interviews because the feedback I got was a bit vague unfortunately. Pretty much all the questions I was asked were knowledge-based questions - for things like Natural Sciences, I believe all the interviews will be subject orientated and there won't be any 'general interviews'. However, it depends entirely on the college. Hmm, you have to remember that a lot of the things you read online are the extremes and only one person's experience of the interviews. I would say most of the time, it's just regular questions that are designed to make you think. They're not looking for you to know everything and they can change their style of questioning on the fly if you just give textbook answers for example.

Good luck with your results! I hope you do get the UMS you want in Maths. I am aware of them scraping UMS. Personally, I think it can get a bit ridiculous sometimes the amount of marks you can drop in some subjects and still get full UMS. Especially in something like Physics, someone who gets 75/75 is obviously better than someone who gets 50/75 but if both get full UMS than it doesn't really matter.
They won't expect you to have relevant work experience for ChemEng unlike courses such as Medicine. It's just important to show interest in the course whether that's through extra reading, summer school or even just discussing an area of ChemEng you find interesting.

Have you participated in any summer schools? I went to Sussex Uni. As part of the Headtstart scheme, where I did the chemistry and drug development course. We went to a local GSK plant and met a few chemical engineers! They seemed to be really passionate about their jobs:tongue:
Have you participated in any summer schools? I went to Sussex Uni. As part of the Headtstart scheme, where I did the chemistry and drug development course. We went to a local GSK plant and met a few chemical engineers! They seemed to be really passionate about their jobs:tongue:

I haven't done anything specific to ChemEng really so in my PS, I talked about a few areas of ChemEng that interested me instead. It's fantastic that you have that experience tho so make sure you talk about it and what you gained from those experiences in your PS.
im going to buy a book and tslk about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
im going to buy a book and tslk about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd recommend "Introduction to Chemical Engineering - Tools for Today and Tomorrow". Don't look into use of Imperial units in the book too much cos it will just annoy the hell out of you but it's very good at giving a general overview of the theory of several key Chemical Engineering topics.
Original post by Anfanny
Figuring out the volume of the water would be harder than the number of atoms. The equations really simple haha. Integration using circles would be required to get the volume, if drawn on a piece of paper...probably would have to be estimated using the trapezium rule then x by csa (circle area)

When you're posed with that type of question, the interviewer is not looking for a right answer. They just want to see how you think about and process a problem. They are looking to observe you mindset. Do you crap your pants when faced with a tricky problem or do you try to apply the knowledge you have (even if it is not enough to solve the problem) to try to devise a method of solving the problem.

Personally, I'd eyeball the height and radius of the glass, work out volume, work out mass, work out moles, work out atoms via Avagadro's constant.

But remember, technical questions will always be in engineering interviews in your future career and they will challenge your thought process so just stay calm and talk about what you thinking about to your interviewer and you'll be just fine, even if you go in the totally wrong direction to the right answer.
I'd recommend "Introduction to Chemical Engineering - Tools for Today and Tomorrow". Don't look into use of Imperial units in the book too much cos it will just annoy the hell out of you but it's very good at giving a general overview of the theory of several key Chemical Engineering topics.

this book is £100 bro, how am I going to afford this!!
Original post by OGFakiie
this book is £100 bro, how am I going to afford this!!

Hmm that's strange, I bought a new copy for around £30 I think. You can try some different stores or get a second-hand copy which will be cheaper.
Hmm that's strange, I bought a new copy for around £30 I think. You can try some different stores or get a second-hand copy which will be cheaper.

£30?! where from
£30?! where from

I originally got it off Amazon. I'm not sure why it's so expensive now tho sorry.
£30?! where from

I originally got it off Amazon. I'm not sure why it's so expensive now tho sorry.

Get a used copy off Ebay or amazon for about £25

Ahh same here but I've done quite a bit of extra reading, which I've talked about
believe it or not I actually wanted to do medicine (before doing work experience, which I hated)
but I don't think it should matter too much- I mean it's only compulsory if you're applying to medicine/dentistry/veterinary sciences I believe

Quick Reply