The Student Room Group

How long should it take to self teach all of these modules?

Hey, I am just wondering how long it would take me to learn and then practice to the point of perfection, (as in being able to get most full UMS in papers) C1/C2/FP1/M1/S1/D1. I have already learnt M1/C1 but haven't mastered them. Sorry if this is a strange question, but would like an idea on how long I should spend on each module.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Eden00
Hey, I am just wondering how long it would take me to learn and then practice to the point of perfection, (as in being able to get most full UMS in papers) C1/C2/FP1/M1/S1/D1. I have already learnt M1/C1 but haven't mastered them. Sorry if this is a strange question, but would like an idea on how long I should spend on each module.

Posted from TSR Mobile

About a year
Original post by Eden00

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which exam board this? (Not that it matters hugely, I suspect, but it may help)
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Which exam board this? (Not that it matters hugely, I suspect, but it may help)

I am doing edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by IYGB
About a year

Is that with doing some every day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eden00
I am doing edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're sitting the exams next summer then you have plenty of time. One way of doing it would be to finish 3 (maybe 4) modules by December and the other two by April - I imagine you have other exams to worry about as well, and it's good that you've got some work out of the way.
I reckon you could knock out 1 a month though (to get to the full UMS standard)

With Edexcel it's not learning the content that's tricky (which I say can be done in 1-2 hours per chapter as a rule of thumb) but all of the extra practice that takes up your time.
Reply 6
Original post by Eden00
Is that with doing some every day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes plus 2/3 more A levels like a typical student
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
If you're sitting the exams next summer then you have plenty of time. One way of doing it would be to finish 3 (maybe 4) modules by December and the other two by April - I imagine you have other exams to worry about as well, and it's good that you've got some work out of the way.
I reckon you could knock out 1 a month though (to get to the full UMS standard)

With Edexcel it's not learning the content that's tricky (which I say can be done in 1-2 hours per chapter as a rule of thumb) but all of the extra practice that takes up your time.

So do you think I should now focus on practicing either c1/m1 till I master them? Should I just do all of the textbook questions and all of the revision guides questions (I have 2 so plenty) and then move on to doing some past papers?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eden00
So do you think I should now focus on practicing either c1/m1 till I master them? Should I just do all of the textbook questions and all of the revision guides questions (I have 2 so plenty) and then move on to doing some past papers?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to judge whether your revision guides' questions are extensions of textbook material or just the same level as the textbook ones, and whether you actually need to be attempting every question in the textbook. I self taught most of the maths modules and did in fact do every question in each textbook - slightly excessive, and I'm sure doing every other question would've sufficed, but these days it's all about challenging yourself with difficult questions (once you've mastered the basics) so trying to find ways to challenge yourself may be of benefit (eg solomon, all of the other kinds of extension papers) and you'll probably forget the past papers/etc that you may do by the time you get to April and can do them again if you wish.
Original post by Eden00

I have self-taught myself FP1, M1 (and others)

There is a great difference between teaching yourself modules with a knowledge foundation already present (so M2, M3 etc. after doing M1 and physics A level, or FP1 after C3/4) and learning lots of different topics from scratch.

Obviously it's going to be different for everyone else, but here is my estimate for each of the modules:

C2 - could either be really short or really long, but it's probably best to focus on mastering this because it underpins FP1
FP1 - can be very tricky without lots of experience in maths, so I suggest you start with this along with C2 asap, to give yourself time to review the concepts throughout the year.
M1 and C1- should both be very easy because M1 has the same questions repeat over and over, and C1 is similar to GCSE.
S1 - has tricky and abstract concepts like FP1, and is completely unrelated to the others. So this could be one of the longest.
D1- I haven't done it

No matter what, you will be able to do those in 1 year with enough commitment.

May I suggest doing M1-M2 and C1-C2-C3 and getting rid of S1 and D1? M1 and M2 are similar and build upon each other, and core maths is useful to have for future modules, and that means you cut out an unnecessary S1 and D1 which are completely different.
Reply 10
Original post by SeanFM
You have to judge whether your revision guides' questions are extensions of textbook material or just the same level as the textbook ones, and whether you actually need to be attempting every question in the textbook. I self taught most of the maths modules and did in fact do every question in each textbook - slightly excessive, and I'm sure doing every other question would've sufficed, but these days it's all about challenging yourself with difficult questions (once you've mastered the basics) so trying to find ways to challenge yourself may be of benefit (eg solomon, all of the other kinds of extension papers) and you'll probably forget the past papers/etc that you may do by the time you get to April and can do them again if you wish.

I will have a go at this then, thank you! Some of the revision guide questions do seem easy, so I'll be selective when going through. How do I not get discouraged if I get low UMS in papers that I attempt? I feel like I will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Doable in a fortnight.
Reply 12
Original post by LibertyMan
I have self-taught myself FP1, M1 (and others)

There is a great difference between teaching yourself modules with a knowledge foundation already present (so M2, M3 etc. after doing M1 and physics A level, or FP1 after C3/4) and learning lots of different topics from scratch.

Obviously it's going to be different for everyone else, but here is my estimate for each of the modules:

C2 - could either be really short or really long, but it's probably best to focus on mastering this because it underpins FP1
FP1 - can be very tricky without lots of experience in maths, so I suggest you start with this along with C2 asap, to give yourself time to review the concepts throughout the year.
M1 and C1- should both be very easy because M1 has the same questions repeat over and over, and C1 is similar to GCSE.
S1 - has tricky and abstract concepts like FP1, and is completely unrelated to the others. So this could be one of the longest.
D1- I haven't done it

No matter what, you will be able to do those in 1 year with enough commitment.

May I suggest doing M1-M2 and C1-C2-C3 and getting rid of S1 and D1? M1 and M2 are similar and build upon each other, and core maths is useful to have for future modules, and that means you cut out an unnecessary S1 and D1 which are completely different.

Thank you for the in depth answer! I will try and follow your advice, the only problem is that my school does the modules I have put in the first year, and then in the second we do C3/4 and FP2 and have to choose three out of M2/3, FP3, S2/3 and D2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm with alow on this one.
Original post by Eden00

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spend however long you need until you stop getting wrong answers.
Reply 15
Original post by alow
Doable in a fortnight.

Original post by Zacken
I'm with alow on this one.

How much time would I have to spend on maths a day to make this possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eden00
Thank you for the in depth answer! I will try and follow your advice, the only problem is that my school does the modules I have put in the first year, and then in the second we do C3/4 and FP2 and have to choose three out of M2/3, FP3, S2/3 and D2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right- I thought you werent going to do maths as level in school at all. I see you want to learn them in advance which is a good idea. Good luck.
Reply 17
Original post by Eden00
How much time would I have to spend on maths a day to make this possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

8 hours would be enough. Treat it like a full time course of 4 A Levels and it will be done in no time.
Reply 18
Original post by alow
8 hours would be enough. Treat it like a full time course of 4 A Levels and it will be done in no time.

With this limited amount of time would you say to just read the textbooks (I have them on PDF) and do some questions? Or watch exam solutions on things that I am not entirely sure about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Eden00
With this limited amount of time would you say to just read the textbooks (I have them on PDF) and do some questions? Or watch exam solutions on things that I am not entirely sure about

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the books then do every other question in the book. Try some past papers and then look at videos if there's anything you don't get.

Quick Reply

Latest