The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95
Hey Matrix :smile: Yep, the end result will be awesome - so long as my amplifier is OK and doesn't break :tongue: (I have a couple of portable amplifiers that run off 9V batteries; one is already broken and needs a repair.)

Who cares about those dogs - they were howling/barking all day... Getting on my nerves! :mad:

Yep, you may have to, though it's a song that we've mentioned various times before! Have a guess as to what it could be!

I know, right!

He does have some serious dedication... However, there was once a time whereby there were various impostor accounts floating around the place. By "impostor", I mean someone signing up with a very similar username as an existing user, with the same avatar, and generally trying to cause disruption.
If you try searching for my username, @spotify95, you'll see a whole bunch of similar usernames... There were some for previous users too, including @Andy98, @bekbok, and various other different usernames. All in all, there were the best part of 100 impostors floating around the place... and guess who the originator of them all was...

Heyy! How have you been? :smile: That's true - when they get as loud as they do in your experiments, they do seem to be at a very large risk of getting damaged.

Haha, I didn't think you cared much for them anyway :tongue:

In this thread? I can't find it :cry2: hmmm...I'm just going to go for One Republic - Counting Stars (I don't know why; that's the first one that came to my head :tongue:)

Indeed he does:yep: Ohh wow! I remember a couple of Andy's imposter accounts. Right, well at least there's more originality which is good.

The count is incorrect from post #872 to #911 (excluding post #873). What do you think should be done? As it's a new thread, I'd prefer edits if possible but rule 16b seems a lot easier.
Original post by jb1702

Hi, it's great to see that you've settled in well here :smile: I'm afraid a few of your earlier posts contain the wrong count. You have also gone way over the 10 post limit. I'd recommend reading the OP before continuing to post here :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mr T 999

:noway:

Did you forget that once the thread closes. You can automatically create a new thread with link from the previous one. On that basis you don't need the final post, as long as you create a new thread soon as it closes :yes:

Yep, there is that, however, when the thread gets to 10k, it automatically closes. There will more than likely be 2 or more people posting at a certain time - and based on how the auto close system works, the person who doesn't get 10k will more than likely end up starting the new thread.
Then we'll have to ask a mod to sort out the OP for us, rather than let auto close close the thread, and not need a mod...

Can get a bit difficult sometimes to get the transition...
Original post by 04MR17
100864Reserving posts already are we...

:nah: just trying to make sure the transitions are as smooth as possible :smile:

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
100871Did you forget that you can also create the next thread before the previous one has closed. I know from experience that transitioning these threads is tricky when there are multiple users involved. For instance, part 8 into 9 @eternaforest concluded the thread early, I started the next thread, but it got confusing because @spotify95 wasn't there to give it his official blessing, so we weren't really sure whether the new thread had been created, so it got a bit difficult. It got worse when the OP needed adjusting and the link adding because the posts weren't @spotify95's. So in other words, purely for the sake of tradition, @spotify95 should orchestrate the transition. Never forget that you HOOLIGAN

Thanks for that summary, you're right, I wasn't available to transition the p8 - p9 thread, but it looked OK when I was able to view it. Thanks for sorting things out last time, much appreciated :smile:
Hopefully I'll be here to sort out all the future transitions :smile:

Original post by jb1702

100,872 rule 16b

100,874 - 100,911 rule 16b

Good morning, welcome to CTAM! :smile:

Since you're new to this thread, I'd like to give you a couple of pointers - following these will really help us out.

1) Quite a few of your posts seem to have incorrect numbers. We prefer it if numbers were correct the first time, but if they are not, then it is always recommended to edit posts so that they contain the correct count. Otherwise it gets a bit messy for us and we have to pick up the count from the last correct post, using "rule 16b" to edit the wrong numbers.

2) We have a "10 post" rule in place to prevent excessive posts in a short space of time - many more than that at once could be seen by others as potentially spamming, plus it could be seen as posting just to increase a member's post count. I've noticed that you have gone way over the recommended 10 consecutive posts for any one user - next time, if you could stay at 10 posts, and not post any more until someone else has posted, it'd be appreciated.

The above guidelines, plus the other rules of the counting threads, can be found in the OP (original post) of this thread - please have a look at it and make sure that you are familiar with things.

Hope to see you around here soon :smile:

Now, with Chromium and Windows media Player open, with WMP ripping a CD to my hard drive library, I am at.... 93'C! :banghead:

If you search on Google for "Acer Aspire 5742 overheating" you'll find quite a lot of comments about how the laptop overheats... It's an inherent problem with the Acer 5742s!

The maximum I ever got out of my HP 15ac153sa (before the Windows 7 partition got fluffed up) was 73', and that was really pushing it, whilst gaming. Nowhere near the point of overheating/shutting down.

This laptop has 4 stars on Amazon - that's the reason. (possibly)

Original post by Impressive
This laptop has 4 stars on Amazon - that's the reason. (possibly)

Was this the Acer, the HP, or your laptop?

I wouldn't recommend anyone buys an Acer, because they may or may not have fixed the overheating issues that has plagued the Aspire 5742...

Palindrome! :woo:
Original post by goldmedalwisher

Palindrome! :woo:

No, it isn't, because it doesn't appear the same backwards and forwards.

For example, 101101 is a palindrome as it reads the same both ways

101010 isn't, because it reads 010101 the other way, which is the opposite...

Was this the Acer, the HP, or your laptop?

I wouldn't recommend anyone buys an Acer, because they may or may not have fixed the overheating issues that has plagued the Aspire 5742...

That was the laptop from your previous reply to me. I'm curious as to which brand would you recommend.

Yep, there is that, however, when the thread gets to 10k, it automatically closes. There will more than likely be 2 or more people posting at a certain time - and based on how the auto close system works, the person who doesn't get 10k will more than likely end up starting the new thread.
Then we'll have to ask a mod to sort out the OP for us, rather than let auto close close the thread, and not need a mod...

Can get a bit difficult sometimes to get the transition...

Not necessarily, as long as you give heads up that you’re going be creating the new thread, once the auto close does it thing, you'll be the op. Also the auto-close doesn’t actually close on the 10000 post but in fact on 10001 (There will always be someone posting at the same time, so it will go one over).

So even if you don't get the 10000 post, you can still get the final post before it closes and you put whatever message you want on that. We also won't include that towards the count and treat as a mod post, so not to effect the overall count :smile:

:erm: What are we going to do about the 100 post stats. Since jb1702 posted over 200 post and the user did not win fair and sqaure?
Original post by Impressive
That was the laptop from your previous reply to me. I'm curious as to which brand would you recommend.

Oh yeah, I get you now :smile:

I'd definitely recommend HP's - my friend has a HP G6-2380SA (intel i5-3230M, 8GB, 1TB, Windows 8.1) and that is a good laptop. Been used for over 3 years now and pretty reliable.
My parents laptop is a HP G6-2241SA, with AMD E2-1800 CPU, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Windows 10 (originally Windows 8). Runs well and is reliable - though not very fast due to the limitations of the 1.7GHz AMD processor.
My new laptop is a HP 15-ac153sa - intel i7-4510U, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Windows 7 and Windows 10 (originally Windows 10 only) - and is very fast - a big improvement on the Acer Aspire 5742.

So far our experience with HP laptops has been very positive - haven't tried any other manufacturers (apart from Acer, who I wouldn't recommend; Packard Bell and Fujitsu Siemens for older XP based laptops - don't know if they still exist or not).

Latest