The Student Room Group

Should trans people be allowed to receive free reassignment surgery on the NHS?

I know it already exists on the Nhs but is it appropriate or is it a waste of money?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, I personally think the money should go towards problems that are more severe like cancer
Why should this topic even be up for debate?? Of course it's not a waste and trans people should forever be entitled to in on the NHS.
no. that's starting to take the piss, isn't it
I identify as an attack helicopter - install me some propellers
I identify as a millionaire and I have financial disphoria - give me a million pounds.
I identify as an butthole - let me act like one
etc

be responsible for your own life - don't expect others to pick up the bill for your "uniqueness"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
No, because it's not necessary like cancer treatment or treatment for mental disorders. Just because someone 'feels' that they are a woman doesn't mean that the taxpayer should pay for them to get their junk cut off. There is still debate as to what the best treatment is for gender identity disorder, as far as I've heard.

what is the evidence for your assertion as it;s counter to the international standards and evidence base ?

http://www.wpath.org/site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=1351

There is little or no scientific / clinical debate about the appropriateness of the care pathway and plenty of transphobic and cisnormative hate speech masquerading as science mainly from the dried up husks of the 2nd wave of 'radical feminism' in an unholy alliance with the US religious right ...
(edited 7 years ago)
I feel like some funds should be set aside for issues such as this even if it is reduced fees for the surgery. Mental health problems should be treated just as seriously!
(edited 7 years ago)
Gender identity issues are NOT mental health problems, hence increasing pressure from within Psychiatry to remove if from the DSM and why it has it;s own category in the ICD ...

breast reductions and augmentation are available for cis-women on the NHS if the appropriate clinical criteria are met.

I also think you might need to learn a little about the pathway to GRS regardless of who is paying.
They absolutely should.

I am honestly shocked at the callous disregard of the suffering trans people endure in this thread. First off, it's factually inaccurate to say that it's not a 'real problem.' A gender identity which does not match biological sex is the cause of a whole plethora of mental illnesses, like depressions, anxiety, etc. Are you dismissing these as 'not a real problem' too? Should people with depression have to pay for their own treatment as well?

In a compassionate society such as ours, it is our duty to care for the most vulnerable in our society. 41% of transgender people have attempted suicide. (Source: http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf) Gender reassignment surgery has noticeable impacts on improved quality of life. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20461468)

Denying trans people access to treatment is inhumane, and dismissing their issues as 'not liking how they look' is an opinion that belongs in another century.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
They absolutely should.

I am honestly shocked at the callous disregard of the suffering trans people endure in this thread. First off, it's factually inaccurate to say that it's not a 'real problem.' A gender identity which does not match biological sex is the cause of a whole plethora of mental illnesses, like depressions, anxiety, etc. Are you dismissing these as 'not a real problem' too? Should people with depression have to pay for their own treatment as well?

In a compassionate society such as ours, it is our duty to care for the most vulnerable in our society. 41% of transgender people have attempted suicide. (Source: http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf) Gender reassignment surgery has noticeable impacts on improved quality of life. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20461468)

Denying trans people access to treatment is inhumane, and dismissing their issues as 'not liking how they look' is an opinion that belongs in another century.

Like Many things with respect ot LGBT or other forms of discrimination it is uncomfortable for people with the privelge to actually
1. admit it
2. admit they are 100 % in the priveleged group

many of the issues arise because of people's internalised transphobia and homophobia and consequent lackof compassion becasue they might have to admitthey aren;t the 100 % alpha whatever so beloved of TSR.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
There are people with life threatening conditions laying in corridors at some NHS hospitals, this really isn't a priority. If the NHS is to support treatments like that it would have to expand into the private sector (which I fully support!) but as long as the NHS only covers the public sector and uses taxpayers money I don't support treatments of such kind.
I'm not sure I think I am leaning more towards no they should pay for it themselves and not get it free when the money could be better spend on improving the health care in hospitals. Some people might say that they should because they might suicide or depression which with the depression will cause problems and cost money however even after they had the cosmetic surgery they still have to keep taking drugs and more problems can arise so in the long term it is costing maybe that bit more than not offering it free
I guess no. There should be some way however if people who cannot afford the surgery and really need it to appeal. There are much more life thereatining illnesses that need to be priority. Not having the surgery may lead some to commit suicide but the illness itself is not killing the individual like cancer for example. I think psychiatric help should be given first but if it's not enough then they should be rendered for surgery and as mentioned before if they can't afford it they should appeal.
Original post by zayn008
There are people with life threatening conditions laying in corridors at some NHS hospitals, this really isn't a priority. If the NHS is to support treatments like that it would have to expand into the private sector (which I fully support!) but as long as the NHS only covers the public sector and uses taxpayers money I don't support treatments of such kind.

put your Heily Fail down and stop listening to the coalition of bigotry.

the budget for the GICs , medical treatment and surgical treatment or gender dysphoria is change from down the back of the sofa compared to NHS budget as a whole , just like the lies told to beleavers people don;t realise the actual magnitude of NHS spending ( and the spending on healthcare in the developed world - excluding the US which by many measures is now a 3rd world country )

there are far more obvious targets to address in terms of better use of NHS resources and without 'cutting' anything except the flow of gravy into the trough various lay managers have their snouts firmly embedded.
Original post by scorpion95
I'm not sure I think I am leaning more towards no they should pay for it themselves and not get it free when the money could be better spend on improving the health care in hospitals. Some people might say that they should because they might suicide or depression which with the depression will cause problems and cost money however even after they had the cosmetic surgery they still have to keep taking drugs and more problems can arise so in the long term it is costing maybe that bit more than not offering it free

What is the costs of prolonged ill health and suicide from refusing treatment, don;t forget to include the potential long term care costs of those whose suicide attempts are unsuccessful and results in them requiring highly skilled 24/7/ 365 care becasue of head or high level spinal cord injuries ...

It is interesting that people love to ape the coalition of bigotry on the line of 'cosmetic ' surgery , conveniently ignoring all the cosmtic surgery that the NHS does for individuals with confirmed diagnoses and who have been through a rigourous bio-psycho-social assessment process , this is before we consider the cosmetic work that is funded without such a comprehnsive assesment process as well

what 'drugs' do a post - GRS trans person have to take and in what way isthis regime different to cisgendered individuals with gonadal absence/ dysfunction ?
Reply 14
Original post by zippyRN
put your Heily Fail down and stop listening to the coalition of bigotry.

the budget for the GICs , medical treatment and surgical treatment or gender dysphoria is change from down the back of the sofa compared to NHS budget as a whole , just like the lies told to beleavers people don;t realise the actual magnitude of NHS spending ( and the spending on healthcare in the developed world - excluding the US which by many measures is now a 3rd world country )

there are far more obvious targets to address in terms of better use of NHS resources and without 'cutting' anything except the flow of gravy into the trough various lay managers have their snouts firmly embedded.

I love how epigrammatic your response was, perhaps we can use some of that 350 mil towards it I guess
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I guess no. There should be some way however if people who cannot afford the surgery and really need it to appeal. There are much more life thereatining illnesses that need to be priority. Not having the surgery may lead some to commit suicide but the illness itself is not killing the individual like cancer for example. I think psychiatric help should be given first but if it's not enough then they should be rendered for surgery and as mentioned before if they can't afford it they should appeal.

it might help if you actually understood the pathway ...

http://www.wpath.org/site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=1351&pk_association_webpage=4655

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/int-gend-proto.pdf

have a read and then marvel in your lack of previous knowledge and the extent of the pathway from requesting a diagnosis to final outcomes
what are your qualifications in mental health clinical practice ?

what is your lived experinece of Body Identity disorders and /or gender dysphoria ?
I'm quite shocked at some of the replies on here, personally I'm divided. It is possible to get things like boob jobs and tummy tucks on the NHS if you can prove it's severely affecting your mental health (I personally know two people who have achieved this.) I think that gender identity problems are much worse than being flat chested or a little fat, while all can lead to other serious health issues there isn't really much help out there for trans people so who can they talk to? It's lonely and it can lead to all sorts of other emotions and health issues, to me its just like 'imagine knowing you're living in a body that isn't really yours' because that's the truth of it. But I would say that surgery should only be given on the NHS for someone who is serious and is diagnosed. You have to pay for the hormones before your surgery unless diagnosed by a certified physciatrist, so why should you pay for the actual surgery?
Original post by EmilyHope
I'm quite shocked at some of the replies on here, personally I'm divided. It is possible to get things like boob jobs and tummy tucks on the NHS if you can prove it's severely affecting your mental health (I personally know two people who have achieved this.) I think that gender identity problems are much worse than being flat chested or a little fat, while all can lead to other serious health issues there isn't really much help out there for trans people so who can they talk to? It's lonely and it can lead to all sorts of other emotions and health issues, to me its just like 'imagine knowing you're living in a body that isn't really yours' because that's the truth of it. But I would say that surgery should only be given on the NHS for someone who is serious and is diagnosed. You have to pay for the hormones before your surgery unless diagnosed by a certified physciatrist, so why should you pay for the actual surgery?

it might reassure you if you read the pathway ( cited above)
No personally. I don't. But I do understand it but this is my main argument.

A trans person deeply believes they were born in the wrong body and want to change that, this is capable through surgery. However a per son with BID https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_integrity_identity_disorder
Who believes say they should have no right arm cannot have it removed by any doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending