The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

I'm a Student with a Mental Illness AMA - Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

This is a thread for anyone who would like to know what it's like to have a mental health condition whilst studying at university.

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
Reply 1
what mental illness do you have?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by animeamanda1412
what mental illness do you have?

Hi animeamanda,

I have Depression and Anxiety.

Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Kingston University
Hi animeamanda,

I have Depression and Anxiety.

Student Ambassador

ahh i see
What's the workload and support like at university when dealing with mental illness?
Original post by pluvophile
What's the workload and support like at university when dealing with mental illness?

Hi :smile:
Here is a link to some more info http://www.kingston.ac.uk/disability/ but we have our student life centre which over support throughout the year if it's just something like you want a chat to something to do with your course. Workload is dependent on the course you are doing. What are you looking to study? But again your tutor will offer you lots of support.

Emily
Student ambassador
This is a thread for anyone who would like to know what it's like to have a mental health condition whilst studying at university.

Student Ambassador

Oh wow! This is perfect. I just spoke to someone with a similar query... I will have to hunt him/ner down and get back to you. Thanks for making this possible for them :biggrin:
Hi :smile:
Here is a link to some more info http://www.kingston.ac.uk/disability/ but we have our student life centre which over support throughout the year if it's just something like you want a chat to something to do with your course. Workload is dependent on the course you are doing. What are you looking to study? But again your tutor will offer you lots of support.

Emily
Student ambassador

I'm studying sociology with human rights.
Original post by pluvophile
I'm studying sociology with human rights.

Ah okay well I would advise giving them a ring as well to see what the work load is like :smile:
Emily
Student ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do they always ask in detail about your disability, before they even offer you a place? I applied a short while ago and haven't herd anything about my application but then got asked a list of questions about my disability. It makes it seem like my disability will be a deciding factor in whether I get to study or not. Which I don't think it should be! Everyone should get to study on the strength of their grades and/or experience or potential.
If it's just see if I need any extra assistance, surely they can ask after, I've been offered a place or interview?
I just felt it was a bit odd having to answer a big long list of questions about my disability, before they give me a decision on my application. I really hope they aren't making decisions based on whether I take medication for my anxiety and depression or not.
Original post by I_want_to_study
Do they always ask in detail about your disability, before they even offer you a place? I applied a short while ago and haven't herd anything about my application but then got asked a list of questions about my disability. It makes it seem like my disability will be a deciding factor in whether I get to study or not. Which I don't think it should be! Everyone should get to study on the strength of their grades and/or experience or potential.
If it's just see if I need any extra assistance, surely they can ask after, I've been offered a place or interview?
I just felt it was a bit odd having to answer a big long list of questions about my disability, before they give me a decision on my application. I really hope they aren't making decisions based on whether I take medication for my anxiety and depression or not.

Hi there,

Rest assured all decisions are based purely on academic performance, personal statement and potential :smile: Our Admissions team ask questions about disabilities so that we can ensure we provide you with any support or assistance that you need. You can call our team on 02084177314 if you'd like to chat about this.

I hope that helps.

Corinna
Kingston University staff
Oh wow what a coincidence i'm doing NCS and our campaign is raising awareness for mental illness haha. We'll be making a donating website if anyone is willing or interested to donate. This is a good thread.

My question is, how do you know what you're going through is a mental illness and not a phase? How do you identify a mental illness? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, I really want to know. Thanks :smile:
Hi there,

Rest assured all decisions are based purely on academic performance, personal statement and potential :smile: Our Admissions team ask questions about disabilities so that we can ensure we provide you with any support or assistance that you need. You can call our team on 02084177314 if you'd like to chat about this.

I hope that helps.

Corinna
Kingston University staff

Thanks for the reply!

I've just not experienced anything like that, where they ask in such detail before making an application decision, so I wasn't sure.
Thanks for explaining it to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending