The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2016 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

When will the rest of the papers be uploaded to the SQA website?
This was the most quietest results day ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I didn't get the grades I wanted for my course. I wanted to do dentistry but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible anymore. I was either thinking of going abroad or doing Bsc from Dundee then going into dentistry. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ___Sophie___
When will the rest of the papers be uploaded to the SQA website?

Last year it took like a month for all the papers to be uploaded to the SQA website, not sure if it will be the same this year but i imagine it will be. If you want you can go over and look at the grade boundaries and the national mean marks for each subject though.
Original post by RossB1702
Last year it took like a month for all the papers to be uploaded to the SQA website, not sure if it will be the same this year but i imagine it will be. If you want you can go over and look at the grade boundaries and the national mean marks for each subject though.

Ok thanks
Original post by Littleannie24
Hi, looking for some advice for my daughter who received her S5 Higher results today:

English - B
History -B
Modern Studies - C
Graphic Communication - C

She's very disappointed with her results as she was hoping to apply this year to study either English Lit or Psychology and now thinks it would be a waste of time applying?

She's planning to take AH English plus Highers in Art, Psychology and Business Studies in 6th year and work hard for hopefully good results.

Do you think it would be a waste of her time applying this year and if not should she rethink her subject choices for S6 and resist MS and GC?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

[QUOTE="Popcornlover;66837230"]It is totally not a waste in applying trust me! Don't worry about it she has done well. For Edinburgh university English literature you have to achieve Abbbb-Aabb from s4-s6 I think🤔 That means she'll need to get As or something! But very well done she can definetly apply as universities are much more interested in what the student can offer so a strong personal statement is more important therefore she can do it😊 Business is a really good higher and easier to pass I did it last year! A friend of mine did terrible in all her highers like all Cs and still managed to get conditional offers from her top universities such as Aberdeen, Edinburgh, etc so don't be disheartened! She worked hard in sixth year and got into uni and now is thriving. So nothing is impossible! Don't let exam results define if you apply to uni or not .
[QUOTE=Doshi....;66836160Hi I didn't get the grades I wanted for my course. I wanted to do dentistry but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible anymore. I was either thinking of going abroad or doing Bsc from Dundee then going into dentistry. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm applying to dentistry but unfortunely I only got AABBB, in my highers, just wondering what did you get?
[QUOTE="Popcornlover;66837290"]
Original post by Popcornlover
It is totally not a waste in applying trust me! Don't worry about it she has done well. For Edinburgh university English literature you have to achieve Abbbb-Aabb from s4-s6 I think🤔 That means she'll need to get As or something! But very well done she can definetly apply as universities are much more interested in what the student can offer so a strong personal statement is more important therefore she can do it😊 Business is a really good higher and easier to pass I did it last year! A friend of mine did terrible in all her highers like all Cs and still managed to get conditional offers from her top universities such as Aberdeen, Edinburgh, etc so don't be disheartened! She worked hard in sixth year and got into uni and now is thriving. So nothing is impossible! Don't let exam results define if you apply to uni or not .

Can I just point out that those are the the minimum requirements for Edinburgh for English Literature not a typical offer and unless you have contextual circumstances ( go to a school with low exam results, live in a poor area etc) they now want 5 A's.
See here:
MA English Literature | The University of Edinburgh

This is a very high demand course and the offer rate is usually in the 20% range

That is not to say that it is impossible but you need to be realistic

If she can get a B or above in Advanced Higher English that would be a must.

I am not saying she shouldn't apply and i think there are plenty of opportunities to study English Lit if she does well in s6 but she needs to see it as long shot for somewhere like Edinburgh . You have 5 places on the form so one can be ambitious but make sure she applies for at least 2 that have lower typical offers

Good luck
Reply 188
Original post by Doshi....
Hi I didn't get the grades I wanted for my course. I wanted to do dentistry but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible anymore. I was either thinking of going abroad or doing Bsc from Dundee then going into dentistry. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduate entry might be possible, but remember there is still a lot of competition.
Was it really the kid's problem? - or do the school inspectors need to check up on how maths is being taught??
I can't believe so many children did not get decent pass marks. This is a really upfront subject that will not be superseded by the computers - we need to know if the computer is right!!
I know it is ages since I was at school but my experience of maths teachers was poor even then - until a proper teacher came and I shot from a poor just scraped through level - to taking my exam 'easy peasy' and sailing through the next level!
Do the universities realise how they are letting our youngsters down by poor teacher training. Maybe we should look to the top before the children lose heart and just give up on proper maths.
Looking at the questions I was wondering what on earth was that sort of question going to do to allow an enhanced way of just living in the wide world? Not understanding even simple arithmetic could be the terrible financial trouble youngsters are getting into!
It looks to me someone up there is just building a geek set of buddies!
Original post by Yammy
Graduate entry might be possible, but remember there is still a lot of competition.

True... Tbh I think the only option if I want to study dentistry straight is going abroad. It's so annoying getting all A's in nat 5 then highers just letting you down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yammy

True... Tbh I think the only option if I want to study dentistry straight is going abroad. It's so annoying getting all A's in nat 5 then highers just letting you down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i got my higher results which were ABBBC however im going to get a marking review for the C and 1 of the B's since im only 1 mark off the next grade. I have done worse than what i was hoping for as i was planning on applying for medicine. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on whether medicine is still a possibility for me or through other degrees to get there. Thanks
Reply 193
Original post by Abbeydabey17
Hi i got my higher results which were ABBBC however im going to get a marking review for the C and 1 of the B's since im only 1 mark off the next grade. I have done worse than what i was hoping for as i was planning on applying for medicine. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on whether medicine is still a possibility for me or through other degrees to get there. Thanks

Not really possible for high school applications I'm afraid, most unis require AAAAB+. Again, grad entry medicine is possible, assuming you achieve at least 2.1 in another degree (most people do life sciences), but competition is also very high.
Original post by Abbeydabey17

I know some people who have gone to unis that offer medicine to study biomedical science with the intention of doing well enough in 1st year to then transfer to the medicine course.
Original post by TheFroyoBear
I know some people who have gone to unis that offer medicine to study biomedical science with the intention of doing well enough in 1st year to then transfer to the medicine course.

Hi don't worry loads of people are in the same boat. You could go abroad but I with brexit they are making it much harder to study abroad. Another option which I am most likely doing is going into a bsc medical sciences course. Though this means you need to get excellent grades next year and an amazing UKCAT score. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oops! Quoted the wrong thing sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Yes, going there at the start of September to start my course in Artificial Intelligence + Computer Science

Nice, I was actually thinking of that course. Do you think I'd be at a disadvantage because I haven't done any computing even at N5 ? I mean I have taught myself very basic Java but I doubt that's enough.
[QUOTE="Popcornlover;66837290"]
It is totally not a waste in applying trust me! Don't worry about it she has done well. For Edinburgh university English literature you have to achieve Abbbb-Aabb from s4-s6 I think🤔 That means she'll need to get As or something! But very well done she can definetly apply as universities are much more interested in what the student can offer so a strong personal statement is more important therefore she can do it😊 Business is a really good higher and easier to pass I did it last year! A friend of mine did terrible in all her highers like all Cs and still managed to get conditional offers from her top universities such as Aberdeen, Edinburgh, etc so don't be disheartened! She worked hard in sixth year and got into uni and now is thriving. So nothing is impossible! Don't let exam results define if you apply to uni or not .

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, I've passed them on to my daughter and she's feeling much more confident about it all today. She's now going to consider all her options for the different degrees/uni's over the next few weeks before submitting her UCAS application. Thanks again!
[QUOTE="watchingyouwatch;66838990"]

Can I just point out that those are the the minimum requirements for Edinburgh for English Literature not a typical offer and unless you have contextual circumstances ( go to a school with low exam results, live in a poor area etc) they now want 5 A's.
See here:
MA English Literature | The University of Edinburgh

This is a very high demand course and the offer rate is usually in the 20% range

That is not to say that it is impossible but you need to be realistic

If she can get a B or above in Advanced Higher English that would be a must.

I am not saying she shouldn't apply and i think there are plenty of opportunities to study English Lit if she does well in s6 but she needs to see it as long shot for somewhere like Edinburgh . You have 5 places on the form so one can be ambitious but make sure she applies for at least 2 that have lower typical offers

Good luck

Thanks for the honest advice, which I've passed on to my daughter. We knew Edinburgh would definitely be a long shot. She had considered Glasgow as we do live in what the universities consider one of the most deprived postcodes in Scotland plus her school is severely lacking.

At the moment I think she's looking at Dundee, Edinburgh Napier, Stirling, Glasgow and Strathclyde for English and if she decides to go into Psychology perhaps Edinburgh Napier, Stirling, Queen Margaret Edinburgh, Dundee and Glasgow Caledonian.

She's considering all uni's in Scotland to be honest!

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending