The Student Room Group

Anyone live at University?

Hiya,So I'm looking at Universities but I'm not sure whether to go out of the way of where I live because I'll have to stay in hall. Can anyone that live in halls in any University tell me how good they are and is it worth it to stay in them?
You'd probably need to go visit the universities themselves to know this, there's usually clearing open days for lots of universities so you might be able to go to some of those and decide for yourself.

Some people seem to think that it's a very important part of the 'university experience' but it doesn't seem to matter very much in my opinion unless you've got some overbearing family watching over your shoulder or something.
Reply 2
Okay thank you.
Original post by catinsomehat
You'd probably need to go visit the universities themselves to know this, there's usually clearing open days for lots of universities so you might be able to go to some of those and decide for yourself.

Some people seem to think that it's a very important part of the 'university experience' but it doesn't seem to matter very much in my opinion unless you've got some overbearing family watching over your shoulder or something.
Original post by Midmore
Hiya,So I'm looking at Universities but I'm not sure whether to go out of the way of where I live because I'll have to stay in hall. Can anyone that live in halls in any University tell me how good they are and is it worth it to stay in them?

You will likely also be able to look on their website's and they may have a video of their accommodation... Just keep an eye on what type of accom they show in the videos, as it won't be the same for all different types they offer!
Reply 4
Okay thank you. I will look.

Original post by mobbsy91
You will likely also be able to look on their website's and they may have a video of their accommodation... Just keep an eye on what type of accom they show in the videos, as it won't be the same for all different types they offer!
Original post by Midmore

Hello there :biggrin:

Living in halls is a fantastic experience and can be so much fun! If you feel like you are ready to be independent and live the 'student lifestyle' and really chuck yourself into the experience and at the same time make loads of new friends - I'd suggest halls!

As someone has mentioned the best way to advice you is to go to your university for an open day and do a tour of the accommodation because accommodation is different across all the different universities so it'd be hard to give you an exact account of what they are like because we could tell you one thing and yours could be different!

For example on my campus there were two accommodation blocks - one was the one I lived in and this was a huge building. There was four floors all together and they were just massive corridors and only one was mixed gender - with girls at one end and boys at the other. The other accommodation building was flats and inside each little flat there were six rooms so obviously the dynamic was different and as I understand it, most universities work with this 'flat' method - but honestly, have an attempt to visit an open day and see what you think.

One thing I promise you though is that halls are a fantastic experience!

Best of luck :smile:
^ I agree with the above, I wish that I had gone to look at accommodation but it worked out mostly alright anyway. I would just say that living away from home even if you're introverted is great for independence and building confidence. I was nervous and excited about going to Uni but this year (second) I'm excited (desperate in fact) to go back. I go to Uni in Liverpool, so I have the 'urban' experience of Uni. You always have something to do and everyone I met was really nice. (save for my crazy flatmate, no kidding he was nuts) It's a lottery who you live with to be honest.

I found that the majority of people were with people with vastly different interests. Myself, I got on with my flatmates (it was easy to avoid that one flatmate, he was never in) but didn't have any interests to share. So most of the time, unless we moaned about our flatmate, I would sit there in silence. The first 2 weeks during the day were hell, I was struck with anxiety, mainly because I was not used to living with more than one other person. Plus I had only met my flatmates and our flat for whatever reason was really anti social during the day? But after settling into my course I got to know a fair amount of people (living with them this year) and through them got to know even more people. I would be out of the flat from 9AM - 6PM, along with a couple of nights out for pub quizzes. (prefer pubs and bars to clubs myself) Resulting in me being in the flat for sleeping and breakfast most days. My course mates also had nothing in common with their flatmates hence our refusal to return to our flats.

Please don't be put off from what I've written, because I still really enjoyed my time. (even with no one else cleaning and regularly finding 6 bin bags in the kitchen, when I had gone away) Plus I would say that my experience of halls was worse than most, yet I still don't regret it.

Edit: Oh yeah just a extra little thing, I found that mixed flats tended to get on better. Take from that what you will.:erm: I have no idea why.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you to everyone for your advice i have booked opening days with every university i would like to go with so i can look round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending