The Student Room Group

Should banks and business be forced add an extra gender option.

Last year a teenager who refuses to identify as either gender couldn't open a bank account as the form says male or female

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/teenager-who-does-not-identify-as-male-or-female-unable-to-open-bank-account-a7010186.html

Should the bank and other business be forced to create an other option for it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I don't believe they should as either you have a penis or vagina so legally you are either male or female same as your passport
(edited 7 years ago)
This is why I hate social justice warriors. They're trying to fight something that doesn't need fighting.

Lauren Southern sums up what I think about gender in the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsk_k7MBpw

There are people out there who identify as an animal rather than human. They're called 'otherkins'. Should banks start to put an option for type of species now?

It's fine if you feel like you're man trapped in a woman's body (or vice versa) but it's their genitalia that determines the pronouns I use with them.
Change gender to sex because sex is what you are biologically, whereas gender is not. I'm sure no one can complain about that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
It almost seems like a fashion statement these days saying you're some rubbish like 'gender fluid' etc. If you have a wang you're male and if you have a vagina you're a woman. Call it a societal construct all you like it's existed since the dawn of time and it's worked pretty well so far.
Reply 5
I identify as an attack helicopter.
Reply 6
Why does a bank need to know what shape your genitals are in order to handle your money? It's just daft. Get rid of the question, everyone's happy.
Original post by Napp
It almost seems like a fashion statement these days saying you're some rubbish like 'gender fluid' etc. If you have a wang you're male and if you have a vagina you're a woman. Call it a societal construct all you like it's existed since the dawn of time and it's worked pretty well so far.

Eh depends what you mean by working pretty well... Its been however many thousands/millions of years and we still have a **** ton of sex- and gender-based prejudices and double standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niteninja1
Personally I don't believe they should as either you have a penis or vagina so legally you are either male or female same as your passport

Original post by Napp

Try giving this a read, should clear up some confusion. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Implication
Try giving this a read, should clear up some confusion. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction

Posted from TSR Mobile

"The sex and gender distinction is not universal. In ordinary speech, sex and gender are often used interchangeably.[3][4] Some dictionaries and academic disciplines give them different definitions while others do not."

Direct quote from you link.*
Original post by limetang
"The sex and gender distinction is not universal. In ordinary speech, sex and gender are often used interchangeably.[3][4] Some dictionaries and academic disciplines give them different definitions while others do not."

Direct quote from you link.*

I'm aware, I have read the article lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Last year a teenager who refuses to identify as either gender couldn't open a bank account as the form says male or female

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/teenager-who-does-not-identify-as-male-or-female-unable-to-open-bank-account-a7010186.html

No. We should not be legitimising these attention seeking, narcissists and their gender identity nonsense.
no
as several people have stated already
its what you have down below that makes the choice on the box you tick
you yet the fools win and what do we have
we'll I don't know but I'll be awaiting the incoming end of mankind
No. Businesses shouldn't be forced to do anything other than pay at tleast the minimum wage and pay their taxes. And of course not engage in any illegal stuff. Leave them alone.
Don't really see why banks needs to your gender in the first place? Surely they only need to know information relevant to your account, like your name, credit rating, age, etc.
If the form says a gender, then just tick the one you were born as. If you were born as neither, just take your pick of boxes.

For most people, they are a definite gender... IMO to include an extra box for a very small proportion of society isn't practical.

Of course its not just box ticking, but other things as well.

But perhaps some things are important enough to change. I would say maybe toilets, but they rarely ever do public toilets anymore... so end up using Weatherpersons or McDonalds or something.
Cock & Balls = Male

Tits & Vag = Female

Quite simple for most people to comprehend IME.
the teenager should see a psychiatrist before opening a bank account
Daym that was savage af

In this case, the person should put down whatever sex they were born. Society should not have to bend to the will of every crazy person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending