The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123ash
Haha, Im always feeling dramatic. I don't think I'll be needing to wait on interim stats. My result is going to be poor! Medify is making me feel UKCAT is not for me.

By the way, How were your scores on Medify? Were you always doing excellent?*

Not at all! Some days were good but others were rubbish. Anyway, last time I was getting really good medify scores and then did really badly in the real thing.
Reply 101
Original post by Medici103
Not at all! Some days were good but others were rubbish. Anyway, last time I was getting really good medify scores and then did really badly in the real thing.

Thanks for that, makes me feel much better about how bad i'm doing. Someone else said on the thread its best to not peak too soon. So i'm trying to hope that i peak on the test day (wishful thinking). *Hope you don't mind me asking, How many times have you sat the UKCAT? What scores did you get previously?
Original post by 123ash
Thanks for that, makes me feel much better about how bad i'm doing. Someone else said on the thread its best to not peak too soon. So i'm trying to hope that i peak on the test day (wishful thinking). *Hope you don't mind me asking, How many times have you sat the UKCAT? What scores did you get previously?

Um... 647.5, 667, 615, and 730. There was one application cycle where I didn't need to sit UKCAT.
Reply 103
Um... 647.5, 667, 615, and 730. There was one application cycle where I didn't need to sit UKCAT.

I think it's really sad that an aptitude test is the decider of if your a good candidate for a medicine degree. Be that Undergrad or Grad. Someone could be really good at aptitude tests, but not understand the intensity of a 4yr accelerated medicine course. Also someone like me could be very slow, but understand what it takes to study hard and stay focussed.

I feel that i'm going to be retaking the UKCAT for years and years before i build the aptitude to get a high enough mark. It would be good if the UKCAT was used, but not solely used to decide candidates.

Thanks, for sharing your results, and wish you all the best this year. I know i'm praying for 730! I think it'll be a good score.

*Anyways, enough of feeling sorry form myself and others like me. Back to some QR! Had a very bad morning practicing AR AND VR, lets hope i get a bit better.
Original post by 123ash
I think it's really sad that an aptitude test is the decider of if your a good candidate for a medicine degree. Be that Undergrad or Grad. Someone could be really good at aptitude tests, but not understand the intensity of a 4yr accelerated medicine course. Also someone like me could be very slow, but understand what it takes to study hard and stay focussed.

I feel that i'm going to be retaking the UKCAT for years and years before i build the aptitude to get a high enough mark. It would be good if the UKCAT was used, but not solely used to decide candidates.

Thanks, for sharing your results, and wish you all the best this year. I know i'm praying for 730! I think it'll be a good score.

*Anyways, enough of feeling sorry form myself and others like me. Back to some QR! Had a very bad morning practicing AR AND VR, lets hope i get a bit better.

Just keep positive and try not to practice too much. I peaked too soon last year. Did loads of practice and did very badly.

It may be that on the day it's the strategy that you use. I guessed and flagged loads whereas in previous years I didn't like to.

I agree though; use the UKCAT if they must but it shouldn't outweigh three plus years of sustained effort.
Reply 105
Just keep positive and try not to practice too much. I peaked too soon last year. Did loads of practice and did very badly.

It may be that on the day it's the strategy that you use. I guessed and flagged loads whereas in previous years I didn't like to.

I agree though; use the UKCAT if they must but it shouldn't outweigh three plus years of sustained effort.

I am going to do my best. That's all i can do. Thanks for al your advice :-)
Original post by 123ash
I am going to do my best. That's all i can do. Thanks for al your advice :-)

No problem. That's all you can do. Do your best and apply smart.
Reply 107
No problem. That's all you can do. Do your best and apply smart.

I'll be in touch with my scores and then hopefully get some advice of applying smart. :-)*
So the work experience requirements for Warwick, and only being allowed to have 50hours from one source threw me for a bit of a loop. I've just spoken to someone about a volunteer role but I don't know how Warwick would view it given their massive list of what's acceptable and what isn't. The role involves working/operating the hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber at an MS centre. Do you think that this would be suitable? There was another volunteer role that my uni told me about but it seemed more admin based and that doesn't seems to cut it according to the list.
I got 680 VR, 730 QR 880 AR, with a band 3 in SJT. What do you reckon my chances are?
Reply 110
Original post by cperkinns2
I got 680 VR, 730 QR 880 AR, with a band 3 in SJT. What do you reckon my chances are?

Took this directly from the 'Entry Requirements' page of their website:
"We will not be considering the Situational Judgement section of the test for 2017 entry"

Therefore, your chances of getting an interview are probably rather good with an average of 763, assuming your academics are solid too!

Your UKCAT is higher than mine but I too got SJT band 3. As has been said, Warwick don't look at SJT so it should be fine. What are your academics?
Biomed 69% result in second year, probably 1/2.1 prediction. Doesn't Warwick like a very high VR though?
Biomed 69% result in second year, probably 1/2.1 prediction. Doesn't Warwick like a very high VR though?

Above the national average, I think. National average was somewhere around 577 last year. 680 is a solid VR score.
Where else were you thinking of applying?
Reply 114
So the work experience requirements for Warwick, and only being allowed to have 50hours from one source threw me for a bit of a loop. I've just spoken to someone about a volunteer role but I don't know how Warwick would view it given their massive list of what's acceptable and what isn't. The role involves working/operating the hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber at an MS centre. Do you think that this would be suitable? There was another volunteer role that my uni told me about but it seemed more admin based and that doesn't seems to cut it according to the list.

Yes, I was like that initially after coming back from the warwick open day.

So, I started on work experience straight away. I find due to less time, volunteering in a care home setting, actual contact with the healthcare professionals (Dr, Nurses, support Workers etc) alongside communicating and working with patients is best. In one care home you can actually have two or even 3 reference. One from a healthcare professional your observing, helping. One from a healthcare professional/Volunteer co-ordinator about patient contact, support. And the volunteer co-ordinator can provide an overall reference of punctuality, communication, professionalism, etc..

So you could work it out so your working Monday-Wednesday with healthcare professionals, so you use those hours, and then weekends with patients etc.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well, but the point is, you can use on setting to provide different references.

But you have to be pro-active to get healthcare professionals on board to allow you to spend additional time with them.
Hope it helps.*
Reply 115

680 is a high VR isn't it. I'm struggling to get 680! Id be very, very happy with this marks. It's funny the only part of the test I do well in without any practice is the SJT, always got a band 1 in the few practice Qs I've done, and Warwick don't even look at that.

I always got SJT 2 consistently when I was practicing, so it was a little bit suprising. Its nice to know its not looked at though! I'm not sure 100% where else, because I'm also doing GAMSAT. Currently Barts, Nottingham, Southampton for sure, but this may change depending on a bit more research.
I am planning to apply for Medicine at Warwick, but am finding it difficult to do work experience in a relevant field.
Original post by BarneyStinsom
I am planning to apply for Medicine at Warwick, but am finding it difficult to do work experience in a relevant field.

Have you tried Nursing Homes, or similar? They have a list of recommended places to try; http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs
Original post by 123ash
Yes, I was like that initially after coming back from the warwick open day.

So, I started on work experience straight away. I find due to less time, volunteering in a care home setting, actual contact with the healthcare professionals (Dr, Nurses, support Workers etc) alongside communicating and working with patients is best. In one care home you can actually have two or even 3 reference. One from a healthcare professional your observing, helping. One from a healthcare professional/Volunteer co-ordinator about patient contact, support. And the volunteer co-ordinator can provide an overall reference of punctuality, communication, professionalism, etc..

So you could work it out so your working Monday-Wednesday with healthcare professionals, so you use those hours, and then weekends with patients etc.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well, but the point is, you can use on setting to provide different references.

But you have to be pro-active to get healthcare professionals on board to allow you to spend additional time with them.
Hope it helps.*

I had tons of shadowing stuff that I could have used but it falls just outside the two year rule. So frustrating!

Latest

Trending

Trending