The Student Room Group

Roman Wars

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Gallic Wars and the Civil wars in Rome; which was an illegal act by Caesar. Why did he cross the Rubicon?

Thanks!
Original post by CalissaRelics
Hi,
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Gallic Wars and the Civil wars in Rome; which was an illegal act by Caesar. Why did he cross the Rubicon?

The Gallic Wars were fought between proconsul Julius Caesar of Rome and several Gallic tribes while the Great Roman Civil War pitted Caesar alongside his supporters against the Roman Senate supported by Pompey and his legions. In both wars, Caesar was victorious, with the Gallic Wars boosting Caesar’s political career while the civil wars resulted in Caesar becoming Rome’s ruler. The civil war involved an illegal act by Caesar in crossing the Rubicon with his legion, an act that was forbidden to any army general under a legal proscription meant to protect Rome from coups. Caesar crossed the Rubicon to lay claim on Rome’s leadership against the Senate and win approval of the masses.
Right I see! So Caesar's main benefit from winning this civil war would have been to claim Rome's leadership against the Senate from the approval of the masses!

Thanks a lot Kendrik Lamar! That was really helpful :smile:
Original post by CalissaRelics
Thanks a lot Kendrik Lamar! That was really helpful :smile:

You're most welcome
:biggrin::biggrin: and I love your profile picture!
(edited 7 years ago)
There was something to do with the concept of Imperium. I can't remember what it meant but it sounds really ominous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending