The Student Room Group

work 15+ hours a day [90hr week] AMA

Scroll to see replies

But OP isn't this haram
Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
But OP isn't this haram

😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you not drink due to being a Muslim? If so do you think investment banking is against Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you happy?

why do you slave yourself for someone else? a job isn't meant to own your life, it's merely a way to gain capital for whatever, but you seem to have your life revolve around your job, why?
Original post by Hanaan999
Do you not drink due to being a Muslim? If so do you think investment banking is against Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Investment banking is raising capital and giving advice, he's currently in the 'giving advice' side of the biz, I don't see how it would relate to Islam or administering interest in any way shape or form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by Princepieman
Investment banking is raising capital and giving advice, he's currently in the 'giving advice' side of the biz, I don't see how it would relate to Islam or administering interest in any way shape or form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends. Some scholars say that working in any institution which deals with selling riba (interest) loans is haram, even if the employee himself does not engage in the riba side of the business. So Muslims would be fine working for a pure investment bank but not for a bank which also offers retail and commercial banking. But that's one interpretation. Some scholars view any job which doesn't directly involving giving out interest loans as being acceptable.
How did you get the internship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaxMarks
Can I work for you?

would love to employ you, but don't think i make enough to justify its worth to you.. but in the future maybe you could drop me your cv and see if we can get things in motion :wink:

Original post by *Thedreaming*
How did you get your job?

online applications, networking, interviews, tests, assessments.. it's quite a rigorous process

A few questions
Do you live in London or did you move to London?
How did you get the internship, was it difficult/competitive? What was the process?
Also do you think not going out drinking limits your contacts?
Sorry about all the questions
Posted from TSR Mobile

your questions are more than welcome.
- i was born in zanzibar, my family moved to london when i was 2 and lived here ever since
- as above
- no it doesn't, my line manager doesn't even drink. i go to drinks events etc.. i just don't consume alcohol. i'm naturally quite social so building relationships doesn't come difficult to me

Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
But OP isn't this haram

dependent on view but largely i'd say if someone is a devout muslim and they're unsure then don't do banking, although i'm not a devout muslim

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, my inherent religious beliefs play a bit part. also i see no benefit to getting drunk/tipsy.. it doesn't aid me in anything.
in the context of interest, yes.. although i play an advisory role.. whether due to inter-related connectivity it becomes haram, i don't know..
but as above, if someone wants to strictly prioritise religion over all else, i'd recommend staying away from the industry.
Original post by Joshale
are you happy?

why do you slave yourself for someone else? a job isn't meant to own your life, it's merely a way to gain capital for whatever, but you seem to have your life revolve around your job, why?

yes, i'm quite happy.

because i don't want to start a business now. i don't have the commercial knowledge, the business connections, and banking is a great place to build the skillset. i do hope to one day become an investor, so this is the ultimate training ground. builds efficiency, work ethic, contacts, modelling skills, understanding of business etc.. etc..
Original post by gr8wizard10

online applications, networking, interviews, tests, assessments.. it's quite a rigorous process

What do you mean by networking?
Also how hard were the tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by networking?
Also how hard were the tests?

meeting bankers beforehand, getting my name known. this industry is all about relationships

they were quite basic, if you practice them you can easily pass them.. what i do is not hard by any stretch of a margin
Do you think your job currently is stressful?
Also how and where did you meet the bankers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Networking tips?
Do you think your job currently is stressful?
Also how and where did you meet the bankers?

can be stressful at times yes

LinkedIn alumni and got to building relationships

Original post by *Thedreaming*
Networking tips?

don't be that guy asking how the convexity on a 3 year eur/usd currency swap would be affected by a us rate hike

just build relationships like you would friends, one thing i've learnt is people love talking about themselves, and they will like you for being interested about their life
Did you find it difficult to make connections in the beginning? If yes, what problems did you encounter?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Did you find it difficult to make connections in the beginning? If yes, what problems did you encounter?

no i'm quite chatty/talkative in general and enjoy the social aspects of the industry.. it's a people industry. start by alumni and get introduced outwards and before you know it you have a useful network to pool information

if i wanted/thought it was useful to meet someone, i'd usually find a way to make it happen.
Original post by gr8wizard10
no i'm quite chatty/talkative in general and enjoy the social aspects of the industry.. it's a people industry. start by alumni and get introduced outwards and before you know it you have a useful network to pool information

if i wanted/thought it was useful to meet someone, i'd usually find a way to make it happen.

Cool, thanks for the reply.
I heard you worked for fishers investment, what was the pay and what is the company like?I'm tempted in applying for an entry level role by them
Original post by Joshale
I heard you worked for fishers investment, what was the pay and what is the company like?I'm tempted in applying for an entry level role by them

haven't heard of them, not sure if they are even an investment bank..

im at one of the bbs, to provide a little more clarity
Do you have to go back to university for a final year or is this your full times job?

Quick Reply

Latest