The Student Room Group

What does Chemical Engineering involve and what sort of person is best suited?

Hi, I am currently deciding between Medicine, Dentistry and Chemical Engineering as for which course to apply for at university. (Although, I am less keen on Dentistry following my recent work experience due to its repetitiveness.)

Just a little background :smile: :
I currently study Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History at AS Level. I have thoroughly enjoyed each of these subjects especially maths and chemistry. (The other two have been very interesting and a definitely lot to learn in comparison.)
I realise after looking at entry requirements that many universities recommend having Physics or a Mechanics module in Maths hence I intend to pick up Mechanics in the upcoming year- if I decide to go with Chem Eng. :biggrin:

I would like to ask the following questions, and also say a very big thank you to everyone who responds in advance! :smile:

1. What subjects did you take at AS/A level?

2. What work experience or voluntary work had you done? (Please feel free to give more advice on this as I am not sure where to ask especially as I have only recently started looking into this course.)

3. Please can you give meant more details of what you do in your course and your opinions?

4. What sort of person do you feel suits this course best? (I have heard you need to really like maths and physics, is this true because I feel physics is certainly not my most liked subject... :frown: )

5. What is your typical week like?

6. Would you recommend BEng or Meng? (Which has better prospects and their differences?)

7. How are you assessed? Is there coursework involved?

8. What is the boy:girl ratio approx?

9. What are your career prospects? What sort of places can you work once you graduate and beyond- will universities use their links to help you get a job straightaway?

10. What exactly is a Chartered Engineer, and how do you get there?

11. Any other advice?

Thank you! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SK20
Hi, I am currently deciding between Medicine, Dentistry and Chemical Engineering as for which course to apply for at university. (Although, I am less keen on Dentistry following my recent work experience due to its repetitiveness.)

I currently study Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History at AS Level. I have thoroughly enjoyed each of these subjects especially maths and chemistry. (The other two have been very interesting and a definitely lot to learn in comparison.)
I realise after looking at entry requirements that many universities recommend having Physics or a Mechanics module in Maths hence I intend to pick up Mechanics in the upcoming year- if I decide to go with Chem Eng. :biggrin:

I would like to ask the following questions, and also say a very big thank you to everyone who responds in advance! :smile:

2. What work experience or voluntary work had you done? (Please feel free to give more advice on this as I am not sure where to ask especially as I have only recently started looking into this course.)

3. Please can you give meant more details of what you do in your course and your opinions?

4. What sort of person do you feel suits this course best? (I have heard you need to really like maths and physics, is this true because I feel physics is certainly not my most liked subject... :frown: )

6. Would you recommend BEng or Meng? (Which has better prospects and their differences?)

9. What are your career prospects? What sort of places can you work once you graduate and beyond- will universities use their links to help you get a job straightaway?

11. Any other advice?

hey, that's a lot of questions but I'll try my best!

1. Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Philosophy AS

2. None

3. All sorts! It's mostly maths and physics. If your good at maths and enjoy rearranging equations ect it'll be a breeze. In fact, you'll probably get bored of the constant calculus (in every single module) since you'll be so good at it.*

4. *I didn't do physics a level either and I remember being really scared. Truthfully though since coming to uni I've realised how good I am at it. That said, I know how you feel sunce it feels risky since you don't know til you try it. Life's about risk though, my favourite subjects were maths and chemistry and I was really surprised by how easy physics is - it's just maths!

5. 15 ish hours of lectures, plus 3 hours of labs once a fortnight. Labs means doing lab reports (these are a *****).

6. *MEng for a higher salary/chance of getting chartered eventually. That said, not sure I'll bother at the moment. The degrees extremely full on (you need a work hard attitude consistently) and having done 1 year another 3 seems like a lot to me!*

7. About 75% exams twice a year, 25% coursework (lab reports mainly).

8. Not sure, maybe 70:30 at my uni.its definitely better than other engineering types.*

9. You can work in most industries. Get a 2:1 and a job is pretty much guaranteed. Unis will generally help a lot.*

10. Someone who earns more money! Haha, but you have to do an MEng and have worked in industry quite a while (I think 2 years is the minimum, but it takes most people 5+).*

11. It's a really cool degree tbh, hard work but its worth it IF you find it interesting. For me I always found the idea of green/environmental chemistry, ideas of renewable energy ect really interesting. I find it really cool how the degree combines those ideas with a truck ton of maths to solve problems and eventually make a real difference in the world. If that sounds remotely like what your interested in (plus a comfy salary!) then totally go for it :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you!

In fact the idea of renewability etc does sound very interesting, and I enjoy maths too! :smile: Good luck on the rest of your course, and thanks ever so much :biggrin:
I did all the same a levels as you and was deciding between medicine and Chem Eng

It's difficult for let's say work Experiance BECASUE you have to cover so much in medicine to show commitment etc but nowadays Chem eng do want to see that you have made an effort to get involved in something other than your studies.

I therefore applied to 4 med schools and 1 Chem eng at loughbough (BECASUE they didn't require physics). I got interviews for both subjects.
But in the end felt I wanted medicine more than Chem eng. but I just wanted to say the loughbough is such a good uni for Chem eng everyone is really friendly too (unlike top unis like ucl and bham). They support students a lot and have some of the best connections. Plus they have their own research centre. I loved it ! The interview was so nice too !

As me anything hopefully I can help
Reply 4
Thank you for your response! What made you go with Medicine in the end, if you don't mind me asking? :smile: Also, how did you write your personal statement so that it targeted both strongly and are you pleased with your final choice?

Currently I think I'm leaning more towards Chem Eng but I wanted to get some work experience just to make sure that I would enjoy it.
Original post by SK20

11. Any other advice?

1. Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths, and Economics

2. Interned in civil engineering, but internships are not important at all i just did it for the cash LOL

3. It's mostly maths and physics, if you go into it for chem your in for a rude awakening come interview day, trust me I know I've been there. Thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, you become a scientist, economist and highly skilled plummer all at once

4. I didn't do physics a level either and I'm going into first year this summer, so like you ill probably have to catch up but don't be too scared as most unis say its not a problem at all

5. Can't help wouldn't know yet but i heard they suck

6. MEng if you definitely want to go into Chem Eng, finance and other unrelated industry i would recommend a BEng because you can apply to spring weeks and summer internships quicker

7. About 75%, 25% coursework typically

8. Cock fest, sorry...

9. anything you want, the world becomes your oyster

10. its an extension on your learning it means you are the best of the best engineers

11. Highest paid engineering, learn invaluable skills and you open a lot of doors, if you do chem eng you will apparently have late nights contemplating suicide then feeling too drained to even do that, but its all worth it in the end
Reply 6
Original post by SK20
Thank you for your response! What made you go with Medicine in the end, if you don't mind me asking? :smile: Also, how did you write your personal statement so that it targeted both strongly and are you pleased with your final choice?

Currently I think I'm leaning more towards Chem Eng but I wanted to get some work experience just to make sure that I would enjoy it.

Hey, My as levels are: Biology, chemistry, maths and further maths. Like you, I've not chosen physics, but I've heard its not that big of an issue so really don't worry too much about it!:u:Work experience is definitely not a must, I've emailed a number of admission tutors and they've clearly said you wont be disadvantaged. There are lots of other ways to show your enthusiasm in the course- Maybe try asking your careers advisor at college/sixth form? Going to talks/lectures at open days is always a great thing to add to your ps.Anyway, good luck on the 18th!!:tongue:. What grades are you hoping for, and which Uni do you like the look of?
Original post by SK20

11. Any other advice?

1. I took a levels in maths, chemistry, biology and English literature.
2. None prior to the course and even now I have none related to engineering. Unlike courses such as medicine having work/voluntary experience in not necessary!
3. I've just completed my first year and have very much enjoyed the course and think I suit it well! It was mostly maths/physics really and you start to learn how to apply it to work things out that you need to when you have to design things. There is chemistry but I only did a few chemistry modules and it wasn't too difficult. You will do chemistry but it's not a lot compared to the maths/physics. I would reccommend to mechanics if you can as it will help you with the physics of you haven't done it and meant I didn't struggle too much even without physics.
4. You need to like maths, a lot! This course is very maths based! The physics is pretty much maths/mechanics so it's not too bad and I thin if you can do maths you can do the physics! You will also need to work hard because you can't just not bother going to lectures and not learn some content because it will just be built up on and you will need to keep ahead. But considering the degrees you're looking at I think you're be looking at working hard regardless!
5. Don't know about the rest but first year I was in every day for about 4 hours of lectures with mostly 9am starts and if it wasn't a 9am start it was 10am. Then I would have labs a it every other week which would be in theafternoon and would be around 2pm-5pm.
6. I and most other people I know are on an MEng course! This will allow you to get chartered a lot easier and therefore more job prospects and higher wages will hopefully come from this. Basically, if you can go for the MEng I think! It's one more year and I think it's worth it!
7. I would say around 70% exam and 30% coursework as an estimate. Coursework will consist of lab reports and design projects mainly.
8. I'd say around 65:35 boys to girls in my year but then again aparently we are quite a girly year. So it's mostly make but I think more females do it than every other kind of engineering on average!
9. Universities will help with placement and graduate jobs and basically you can go into many sectors of engineering and even fianance as the skills are very transferrable so you are not limited to just engineering.
10. Chartered status seems to be the goal for most which is why people carry on to do masters! Basically it means you will be more employable and experienced and will probably get greater pay! It usually requires a masters and a few years of experience in industry! All I really know is that iChemE and tutors seem to set it as the goal!
Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Thank you for everyone's responses, they've been very helpful! :h:

I just had a few more questions to add:

1. What sorts of topics/modules will you cover? (Hoping I can research them and get a better feel for the subject before I fully commit.)
2. Are there lots of jobs available as a chemical engineer after you graduate, and will these be available all throughout the UK (would you need to relocate?)

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 9
Guys sry but does your uni have to be accredited to get chartered ??
Original post by Xanxus
Guys sry but does your uni have to be accredited to get chartered ??

No but it makes it far easier
Reply 11
Original post by richpanda
No but it makes it far easier

Sry but how does it make it easier???
Original post by Xanxus
Sry but how does it make it easier???

If your degree is accredited then you will not require any further academic study to achieve chartered status.
Reply 13
Original post by Smack
If your degree is accredited then you will not require any further academic study to achieve chartered status.

So if your Accredited you dont need to do masters???
Original post by Xanxus
So if your Accredited you dont need to do masters???

If you want to become chartered you will need an accredited masters level degree. The easiest way to get this is to do an accredited MEng. If you have an accredited MEng you won't need any further study to become chartered.
do you mean you don't need to do a phd then? do yiu recommend a phd even uf the ciurse is accredited?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
do you mean you don't need to do a phd then? do yiu recommend a phd even uf the ciurse is accredited?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this addressed to me?
Original post by Smack
Is this addressed to me?

yeah sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you want to work in industry or academia?
Original post by Smack
Do you want to work in industry or academia?

probably industry not sure though so im guessing if industry no but academia yes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending