The Student Room Group

Do people with anxiety/depression go to uni???

Scroll to see replies

My partner has chronic anxiety and is going to uni in September, if you need advice I could ask her :smile:
Original post by Katarvi
Have you thought about applying for Disability Students Allowance? I applied for it based on a few medical conditions I have, two of them being anxiety and depression and they've put a lot of support in place for me. When I start uni in September I'll have a mentor in place to help me deal with being away from home, my feelings etc., that I'll see once a week, if I find it too difficult I may be exempt from doing presentations, etc., etc. It creates a comfortable, supportive feeling, I'm not too worried about people thinking I'm being ridiculous and oversensitive because I actually have DSA to support me and validate my feelings and condition, if that makes any sense.

I hope you have a great time at uni!

Yes i have applied for DSA I'm still waiting for a response from them, i actually didn't know about it until a week ago when my uni told me. How long does it usually take for them to respond? Also what do you actually get out of your DSA, i don't really know that much about it to be honest? I know that it can help fund medication, (which i take twice a day, so i'll definitely need that)

Also, thanks! And you too!
Original post by TitanCream
My partner has chronic anxiety and is going to uni in September, if you need advice I could ask her :smile:

That would be great! It good to get advice of people who know what it's like.
I go to university and I suffer from depression mainly because of my mum, my course and having no job or friends but I have a bf now so I;m not really depressed anymore so maybe you might meet someone there too
I'm have anxiety and I go to uni*

Been a struggle definitely, but I'm getting through it.*
Original post by Anonymous
Yes i have applied for DSA I'm still waiting for a response from them, i actually didn't know about it until a week ago when my uni told me. How long does it usually take for them to respond? Also what do you actually get out of your DSA, i don't really know that much about it to be honest? I know that it can help fund medication, (which i take twice a day, so i'll definitely need that)

It didn't take them that long at all to respond to me. I had a letter telling me to find my nearest assessment centre and ring them to make an appointment, got an appointment within a week. Then it took around two weeks to hear back from the assessment and beyond that it's just waiting for SFE to write and confirm what they're willing to provide for you.

For my anxiety and depression the assessment lady suggested a mentor once a week, a taxi allowance, photocopy/printer allowance in case I'm too anxious to use the busy university library, they're helping me buy a laptop that will be required for my studies and they're providing a software program that allows you to record your lectures and write notes along side the audio clip, if that makes sense, in case I'm too anxious to take in what's being said or make coherent notes so I can listen back when I'm in my room and feeling calm.

It's really more about what you tell them you need, think about all the things your anxiety will make more difficult for you and mention it to them so they can figure out what they can offer to help make it easier for you. I find using public transport alone very difficult hence the taxi allowance, so unless you have difficulty with this too you may or may not get the same, same for the other things. It really all depends on how it effects you. I'm not on any medication so I can't say if they'd help with prescription costs but I know you can apply for a HC2 I think it's called, which gets you free NHS prescriptions for those earning less than 16k a year (so students would count I believe).

Good luck! :smile:
That makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one! I asked my uni for support and they are putting some things in place for me, i hope it all goes well for me

I'm really glad! Feel free to drop me a PM
or anything if you need help or advice in regards to it all. :smile:
I know some people who dropped out of uni because they had crippling social anxiety and couldn't face seminars/going out etc and I l know another student who told us about his depression etc from around Christmas time who unburdens himself fairly regularly to us......I reckon if you make good mates who will help you out and not judge you and make use of the councilling services then you should be fine tbh
Reply 28
My mate is going in September. He had anxiety and depression for years, I managed to convince him to see the counselor at college last year so now that it ended he decided he wanted to see the doctor before he goes to uni. Obviously it's not easy for him but he wants to go and he took some steps to make the process a bit easier. Like getting some pills to prevent his anxiety attacks that he didn't realise he had.

He'll be moving into halls into an ensuite room. And when we talked about it he's mostly fine. Worried about finding friends as he's not into drinking but it's pretty normal. A lot of his anxiety is from family so maybe the distance will help. But he's at the point where he's willing to ask for help if he needs it.

Since I'm not the one in this situation I can't really say much else.
I have had anxiety all my life which has meant it is hard for me to be in social situations and i often have to have my alone time. I also find it hard to go outside sometimes, it depends on the day. The most annoying thing is that people just don't understand this and they think I'm being rude and unsociable. I have a place at uni in September where i'll be moving away from home. Am i being realistic here, do people with issues like mine actually move away to uni? Any advice would be great

I have mild anxiety and I'm currently at university. I think the best thing to do is to throw yourself into it, no matter how scary that may seem. The only way to get over social anxiety is to start exposing yourself to situations that you would feel uncomfortable in. If people know your feelings and how you feel, if they're nice they will help you and they will try their best to understand.

It won't help fund medication. It'll only fund things you have because of being a student with a disability. Not things like medication, which you'd have whether you were a student or not.

You may also get things like extra time in exams or a smaller room.

Quick Reply

Latest