The Student Room Group

Parents who force vegan diets on their kids face jail time under new Italian law

Link.

For once the Italians get something right.

Scroll to see replies

Lol
Dramatic but I can see why they're concerned, growing children with active lifestyles in this day and age... unless their parents were so very careful and almost made feeding their children a full time job, they could quite conceivably struggle to make up all their dietry requirements from a purely vegan diet.
PERFECT. Should extend to religion and bedtime as well
Lol, brilliant.

I used to have a good vegan friend (until she stopped talking to me suddenly one day for no apparent reason, I still don't know why). I went traveling with her for a couple of months, it was a right pain in the arse finding places where she could eat (gluten free as well lol...). I lost loads of weight and was quite unwell once I got back home and I'm a skinny wrench of a guy to begin with (5'6" about 135lbs usually) Think she was brought up vegetarian but she went vegan a couple of years ago and turned militant vegan super quick. Had to block her on Facebook because her daily vegan posts were getting super annoying, it's a proper cult.

Shame they can't ban teaching religion to chidlen either...
Reply 5
Yep.

Same should apply to a diet made up exclusively of Frozen Things in breadcrumbs from Farmfoods, Haribo and full fat Coke.
I normally respect vegans (who aren't militant) because I tried going vegan and it failed miserably. Parents forcing their kids into vegan diets is terrible though. Some people will go through it and others won't.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Link.

I don't know if you - or anyone else on this thread for that matter - have managed to read past the headline but it says 'inadequate diet' any diet can be inadequate vegan or otherwise.
Original post by ManiaMuse
Lol, brilliant.

I used to have a good vegan friend (until she stopped talking to me suddenly one day for no apparent reason, I still don't know why). I went traveling with her for a couple of months, it was a right pain in the arse finding places where she could eat (gluten free as well lol...). I lost loads of weight and was quite unwell once I got back home and I'm a skinny wrench of a guy to begin with (5'6" about 135lbs usually) Think she was brought up vegetarian but she went vegan a couple of years ago and turned militant vegan super quick. Had to block her on Facebook because her daily vegan posts were getting super annoying, it's a proper cult.

I can relate! I've been vegetarian for about 7 years now and I don't plan to change that. My vegan friend however kept giving me evil stares whenever I drank milk in front of her or ate a burger with cheese inside it. I honestly don't know why but I always got the impression she was hungry because literally every time I saw her eating it would be just salads.

No problems with vegans whatsoever. Can't stand the ones like my mate above though.
Rome is the mother of all Evils
I love Italians for this.
Lol, brilliant.

They should ban forcing religion onto your children.
Good!
good
**** vegans
Original post by skeptical_john
I don't know if you - or anyone else on this thread for that matter - have managed to read past the headline but it says 'inadequate diet' any diet can be inadequate vegan or otherwise.

A vegan diet is an inadequate diet. Vegans are inadequate people.
Why all the hate? You can be malnourished and unhealthy as a vegan or a non vegan.
Most children would follow a similar diet to their parents when they're growing up, it's not about being forced. It could also be said parents are forcing their children to eat processed and cancerous foods.
Vegans don't have souls.

Explain or i'll just disregard this as a silly and troll comment
A vegan diet is an inadequate diet. Vegans are inadequate people.

Why, on both of those points?

A diet is inadequate if it does not provide the body with the vitamins, proteins, etc, that it needs.

What makes vegans inadequate people?
Original post by pandaseattoast
Explain or i'll just disregard this as a silly and troll comment

[video="youtube;EY39fkmqKBM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY39fkmqKBM[/video]
Reply 19
Link.

This is merely a proposed law, it's not at all clear whether it will actually pass.

Nutritionally illiterate parents - whether they are vegan or not - are of course going to do harm to their children. Not only is this proposed law unenforceable, it's also ridiculous on medical grounds. As the American Dietetic Association has stated:

appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

There are plenty of people who have raised perfectly healthy vegan children. The problem, as I say, is nutritional illiteracy. Ironically, those who claim that vegan diets are nutritionally inadequate are themselves being scientifically illiterate.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending