The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
It's all done electronically so they won't be there til we download them on Monday so it's not worth it! :smile:

Recruiting a talented CompSci
Requirement: Be pretty darn good at computers
Reward: A guaranteed place at Christ's College, Cambridge
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a question now about the admissions test. I know you can never give an exact answer to these kind of things, because as you said, you look at everything.

However, just hypothetically, for CompSci, say you had someone with an average of 96% and someone at 92%, in UMS averages. If the person with the lower UMS was really good at interview and got one of the top scores in the CSAT, and the person at 96% didn't do so well in those, does it become sort of an "overriding factor", making them more likely to receive an offer?
Original post by TiernanW
I have a question now about the admissions test. I know you can never give an exact answer to these kind of things, because as you said, you look at everything.

However, just hypothetically, for CompSci, say you had someone with an average of 96% and someone at 92%, in UMS averages. If the person with the lower UMS was really good at interview and got one of the top scores in the CSAT, and the person at 96% didn't do so well in those, does it become sort of an "overriding factor", making them more likely to receive an offer?

First, it's very rare for two people to go directly up against each other in such a scenario. There would probably be a number of other people in the mix for the places we had in CompSci, each f whom would have different strengths and weaknesses.

Second, each application is looked at holistically and so it's impossible to say which way one might go in every situation. In the two students you suggest, there would be other things to take into account.

Finally, you ask about UMS averages but students are not going to have UMS averages in the same way that they had in the past except in a few cases, with CIE, Wales and Northern Ireland.
First, it's very rare for two people to go directly up against each other in such a scenario. There would probably be a number of other people in the mix for the places we had in CompSci, each f whom would have different strengths and weaknesses.

Second, each application is looked at holistically and so it's impossible to say which way one might go in every situation. In the two students you suggest, there would be other things to take into account.

Finally, you ask about UMS averages but students are not going to have UMS averages in the same way that they had in the past except in a few cases, with CIE, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Sorry yes I did listen to you before about the UMS; I was just trying to talk in hypothetical terms for a comparison. :smile:

Thanks for your answer!
Sorry yes I did listen to you before about the UMS; I was just trying to talk in hypothetical terms for a comparison. :smile:

Thanks for your answer!

No problem! Not that is recommend it, but if you had the time to look back through previous threads I've hosted from past years, you'd see that I got asked these sorts of hypotheticals comparing candidates with small differences anlot and I always try to point out that these sorts of things just don't happen in the way students imagine as one is usually comparing different strengths and weaknesses of a number of different candidates.
No problem! Not that is recommend it, but if you had the time to look back through previous threads I've hosted from past years, you'd see that I got asked these sorts of hypotheticals comparing candidates with small differences anlot and I always try to point out that these sorts of things just don't happen in the way students imagine as one is usually comparing different strengths and weaknesses of a number of different candidates.

Okay, well I'll just get my results, apply and see how it goes. Definitely appreciate having this type of thread here!
Not that is recommend it, but if you had the time to look back through previous threads I've hosted from past years...

Definitely appreciate having this type of thread here!

A list of all previous threads by the various AT's is available here :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4242660

They are a hugely valuable resource!
Original post by jneill
A list of all previous threads by the various AT's is available here :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4242660

They are a hugely valuable resource!

Thank you for this! I will read into them. :smile:
Thank you for this! I will read into them. :smile:

It might take a few rainy days to get through them all put if you do you'll be an expert on Cambridge admissions procedures. :smile: And appreciate how insanely patient the ATs are with all the frequently asked questions...
Hi, I'm looking to reapply for Law this cycle after being pooled but rejected last year. Are you significantly disadvantaged when applying with results if you've only got A*AA, given that most offer holders will go on to achieve higher than that? Thank you.
Original post by alleseer98
Hi, I'm looking to reapply for Law this cycle after being pooled but rejected last year. Are you significantly disadvantaged when applying with results if you've only got A*AA, given that most offer holders will go on to achieve higher than that? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your question. I would say that, on average, you would be disadvantaged by applying with only one A* achieved but it need not be an insurmountable one as there are people that get offer with A*AA already achieved. You just have to bear in mind that the averages Humanities student has in excess of 2 A*s.
Reply 131
Without UMS scores, what will now be your best indicator of future success at undergraduate level? Additionally, how will you ensure poorer students are not disadvantaged re admissions due to the recent changes in A Level exams?
Original post by bicks
Without UMS scores, what will now be your best indicator of future success at undergraduate level? Additionally, how will you ensure poorer students are not disadvantaged re admissions due to the recent changes in A Level exams?

I don't think that there will be a single indicator that will replace UMS. Instead, we will be looking more closely at the indicators we already have plus the new assessments to try to develop a holistic picture of candidates before decisions are taken.

The University is committed to continue to seek out the best students from wherever we can find them and are determined that the changes in A Level will not affect negatively the progress that we've made in recent years in widening participation at Cambridge. Key elements will be redoubling our efforts on access and ensuring that we don't over privilege those elements of the application that are most affected by cultural capital.
Reply 133
Hi, I'm (hopefully) going to be starting at Christ's in October and was just wondering if undergraduates have kitchens in which to cook their own food? sorry if it's a stupid question!
Original post by water3
Hi, I'm (hopefully) going to be starting at Christ's in October and was just wondering if undergraduates have kitchens in which to cook their own food? sorry if it's a stupid question!

yes but i think u need to rent the kitchen, u arent allowed to cook inside ur room,toilets,shower,lecture halls,
Will you be looking at new spec AS results much or just at the predictions to ensure a level playing field?
Original post by water3

Hello and good luck with your results next week. Yes, there are kitchens (known as gyp rooms for some reason) on each corridor. They aren't hugely well provisioned in terms of cooking equipment as we encourage students to eat in hall. But basic things can be cooked ad you can keep your own food in them.
Original post by jamestg
Will you be looking at new spec AS results much or just at the predictions to ensure a level playing field?

Where people have AS results, we will look at them. It would be foolish not to, given that they will be a public marker of how they have done in Year 12. Students won't be advantage simply by taking them, however, they will be advantaged by taking them and doing well. Students who have not taken them will not be disadvantaged by this.
Reply 138
I don't think that there will be a single indicator that will replace UMS. Instead, we will be looking more closely at the indicators we already have plus the new assessments to try to develop a holistic picture of candidates before decisions are taken.

The University is committed to continue to seek out the best students from wherever we can find them and are determined that the changes in A Level will not affect negatively the progress that we've made in recent years in widening participation at Cambridge. Key elements will be redoubling our efforts on access and ensuring that we don't over privilege those elements of the application that are most affected by cultural capital.

By new assessments do you mean the end of yr 12 exams? Or are there new entrance exams?

My thoughts/ suggestion on access: many people would talk of the 90+ average ums achieved by those who had successfully gained a place at Cam. When I was thinking of applying, this fact/rumour played on my mind (a lot) in yr 12. It motivated me to do as well as I could and I managed to score highly. It was something I didn't think I could do because 90+ sounded ridiculously hard to achieve when you're an outsider/do not know many people who have scored highly. But that worry should no longer affect the new yr 12's.

Now that ums is out of the window, access teams can push the message that strangely there may be one fewer hurdle to clear in the admissions process (I know, it should not be seen as a 'hurdle' ). This may boost applications from those who previously may not have applied. I don't think such a push will decrease the quality of applicants because the admissions team ought to trust the other indicators you have in place, namely interviews/admissions tests etc, will act as a proxy for the old ums indicator (not to mention the conditions of any offer made).

In my limited experience, college access teams are conscientious and they receive good backing from Fellows. So I have no doubt you will try to give as many good students a fair chance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bicks
By new assessments do you mean the end of yr 12 exams? Or are there new entrance exams?

These
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admission-assessments

Full details are in the entry requirements for each course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending