The Student Room Group

The siege in East Aleppo which threatened 200,000+ civilians has been broken

A major Syrian opposition body has announced that rebels have broken a government siege of the northern Syrian city of Aleppo.

The Turkey-based Syrian National Coalition said on Twitter on Saturday: "Rebels break Aleppo's siege".

The Ahrar al-Sham rebel group also posted on Twitter that rebels had seized control of Ramosa on the southwestern edges of the city and thereby "opened the route to Aleppo".

Syrian government forces encircled Aleppo on July 17 after closing off the last opposition-controlled route into the city.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/syria-siege-aleppo-160806154230817.html

High spirits for everyone in East Aleppo at the moment.

[video="youtube;KmKqDd_oHzg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKqDd_oHzg[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The irony is that West Aleppo is now pretty much besieged.
Reply 2
Jaysh Al Fath / Fath Halab have sent food to the civilians of East Aleppo for free.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cpex6KUXYAA7Ivz.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cpex9abWYAEVKQ6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpeyBr-WgAAtIvg.jpg

Heroes doing what the UN couldn't.
Original post by AlifunArnab
Jaysh Al Fath / Fath Halab have sent food to the civilians of East Aleppo for free.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cpex6KUXYAA7Ivz.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cpex9abWYAEVKQ6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpeyBr-WgAAtIvg.jpg

Heroes doing what the UN couldn't.

Amnesty International reported of Fatah Halab:

Amnesty has obtained the names of at least 83 civilians, including 30 children, who were killed by attacks in Sheikh Maqsoud between February and April. More than 700 civilians were also injured, according to the local field hospital. Video evidence seen by Amnesty shows artillery shelling, and rocket and mortar attacks carried out by the Fatah Halab

The relentless pummelling of Sheikh Maqsoud has devastated the lives of civilians in the area. A wide array of armed groups from the Fatah Halab coalition has launched what appear to be repeated indiscriminate attacks that may amount to war crimes.

By firing imprecise explosive weapons into civilian neighbourhoods the armed groups attacking Sheikh Maqsoud are flagrantly flouting the principle of distinction between civilian and military targets, a cardinal rule of international humanitarian law.

The international community must not turn a blind eye to the mounting evidence of war crimes by armed opposition groups in Syria. The fact that the scale of war crimes by government forces is far greater is no excuse for tolerating serious violations by the opposition.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-releases/syria-armed-opposition-group-committing-war-crimes-aleppo-new-evidence
Reply 4

What exactly does this prove? Whilst no one condones innocent people being killed, it's clear that saving 200,000 + people from starvation is something extraordinary, especially considering they were facing numerous countries.
What exactly does this prove? Whilst no one condones innocent people being killed, it's clear that saving 200,000 + people from starvation is something extraordinary, especially considering they were facing numerous countries.

I'm intrigued by your usage of the word 'heroes'. Where I have seen I-Soc members in the past call ISIS "the most effective" and "the bravest", there is a worrying trend for people sympathising with terrorist groups. I think we need to be realistic and that all groups acting within Syria and Iraq should be open to criticism so that a more clearer picture can emerge. The last thing we need is people heaping more praises on groups involved in humans rights abuses, and this is what will happen if only a one-sided picture is allowed to emerge.

So yes, getting food to civilians who are in need of food is a good act. I never said it wasn't. But let us remain rational and not throw around praises and sing paeans for groups who have also committed human rights abuses.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by The Epicurean
I'm intrigued by your usage of the word 'heroes'. Where I have seen I-Soc members in the past call ISIS "the most effective" and "the bravest", there is a worrying trend for people sympathising with terrorist groups. I think we need to be realistic and that all groups acting within Syria and Iraq should be open to criticism so that a more clearer picture can emerge. The last thing we need is people heaping more praises on groups involved in humans rights abuses, and this is what will happen if only a one-sided picture is allowed to emerge.

So yes, getting food to civilians who are in need of food is a good act. I never said it wasn't. But let us remain rational and not throw around praises and sing paeans.

Are you calling them terrorists because they're Muslim or because you're mistaken ? Otherwise, the vast majority of groups involved in the offensive are not designated as terrorists.

Sure, every group should be open to criticism but when they do something good they should also be praised, or do you not agree? Risking your life to break a siege is absolutely heroic and if it was the Americans who broke the siege, we would have several movies depicting their bravery and selflessness.

To sum it up, there's a time for criticism and a time for praise.
Things would be much better for civilians if the rebels just packed up and left like they did with Homs

Syrian government have regained most of their lost territory anyway
Reply 8
Original post by TelAviv
Things would be much better for civilians if the rebels just packed up and left like they did with Homs

Syrian government have regained most of their lost territory anyway

Where?
Are you calling them terrorists because they're Muslim or because you're mistaken ?

Don't be so silly. Where do I ever call people terrorists just because they are Muslim? I'm talking about rationally approaching groups that have committed human rights abuses.

Please do enlighten me why ISIS are not a terrorist group.

Sure, every group should be open to criticism but when they do something good they should also be praised, or do you not agree? Risking your life to break a siege is absolutely heroic and if it was the Americans who broke the siege, we would have several movies depicting their bravery and selflessness.

To sum it up, there's a time for criticism and a time for praise.

Most groups have vague goals, have committed human rights abuses, there is lots of propaganda which people have fallen for (ISIS is an example), hence why I call for rationality. I was watching a Jaysh Al Fatah video recently which entailed sectarian and vitriolic comments towards shia Muslims. These are quite clearly groups that have extreme interpretations of Islam and are very sectarian in nature. How can there ever be progress in Syria if the groups in Syria are promoting sectarianism? If you want to support sectarianism in Syria, you are only helping to prolong the war and encouraging more civilian deaths.

This is a debate forum. Always expect a contrary view to be expressed. If you don't wish to see contrary views, you can post in the chat section.
Don't be so silly. Where do I ever call people terrorists just because they are Muslim? I'm talking about rationally approaching groups that have committed human rights abuses.

Please do enlighten me why ISIS are not a terrorist group.

I didn't say you did, but it's clear you're trying to compare the rebel groups to ISIS.

These are your exact words :

'I'm intrigued by your usage of the word 'heroes'. Where I have seen I-Soc members in the past call ISIS "the most effective" and "the bravest", there is a worrying trend for people sympathising with terrorist groups.'

You can rationally approach the group who are guilty of human rights abuses but you were far off the mark by calling them terrorists. Also, every single group in Syria have committed human rights abuses with the regime having the worst record and the rebels having amongst the best.

If we're going to say that we shouldn't support any group guilty of human rights abuses, we clearly shouldn't support the Communist Kurdish militias fighting ISIS. Chances are you probably support them however.

Most groups have vague goals, have committed human rights abuses, there is lots of propaganda which people have fallen for (ISIS is an example), hence why I call for rationality. I was watching a Jaysh Al Fatah video recently which entailed sectarian and vitriolic comments towards shia Muslims.

It's interesting that you're unable to look at the situation as a whole. Jaysh Al Fatah are a reaction to hezbollah / Iran / the regimes sectarianism. Look at the Baniyas or the Bayda massacre where hundreds Sunni civilians were butchered because the regime took some losses elsewhere.

It was sectarian in its nature from the start. If Sunnis are being targeted by a particular sect, they have every right to respond.

These are quite clearly groups that have extreme interpretations of Islam and are very sectarian in nature. How can there ever be progress in Syria if the groups in Syria are promoting sectarianism? If you want to support sectarianism in Syria, you are only helping to prolong the war and encouraging more civilian deaths.

This is a debate forum. Always expect a contrary view to be expressed. If you don't wish to see contrary views, you can post in the chat section.

I'm not sure that's clear.

I support the right for Ahlu Sunnah in Syria to be free. I support the right for them to choose their own leaders instead of being forced to stay under an Alawite leader forced upon them. I support their right not to be oppressed and to be able to openly practice their religion.

I don't have a problem with contrary views being expressed. I do however have a problem when you try to liken rebel groups to ISIS.
Where?

The Syrian Observatory claims "5 out of the 8" positions they've lost since the start of the offensive has been regained.

I believe some of the major positions are the villages of Al-Almiryah, Huwayz and al-Sanobrat hill.

Fatah Halab declaring they'll attack Kurdish parts of Aleppo doesn't sound like a good idea either
Original post by TelAviv
The Syrian Observatory claims "5 out of the 8" positions they've lost since the start of the offensive has been regained.

I believe some of the major positions are the villages of Al-Almiryah, Huwayz and al-Sanobrat hill.

Fatah Halab declaring they'll attack Kurdish parts of Aleppo doesn't sound like a good idea either

Do you have a link? The regime haven't even launched a proper counter attack so what you're saying is unlikely.

Also, Fatah Halab have every right to attack the YPG in Aleppo.
Do you have a link? The regime haven't even launched a proper counter attack so what you're saying is unlikely.

Also, Fatah Halab have every right to attack the YPG in Aleppo.

http://www.syriahr.com/2016/08/09/عشرات-الضربات-الجوية-ترافق-الاشتباكا/ - I hope you read Arabic as well as me (not well)

https://mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/syrian-army-attacks-northern-aleppo-russian-air-cover/ - this reports on an offensive in northern Aleppo

https://mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/syrian-army-reverses-rebel-gains-southwest-aleppo/ - English report in SW Aleppo

http://www.syriahr.com/2016/08/05/هجوم-عنيف-للفصائل-في-مرحلة-جديدة-من-غز/ - more Arabic for you to read

https://m.facebook.com/syriahroe/posts/913506015424404 - Syrian Obervatory's official Facebook page confirming SAA have retaken Al-Almriyah (sic)

Where are you reading they haven't started a counterattack?
Original post by TelAviv
http://www.syriahr.com/2016/08/09/عشرات-الضربات-الجوية-ترافق-الاشتباكا/ - I hope you read Arabic as well as me (not well)

https://mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/syrian-army-attacks-northern-aleppo-russian-air-cover/ - this reports on an offensive in northern Aleppo

https://mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/syrian-army-reverses-rebel-gains-southwest-aleppo/ - English report in SW Aleppo

http://www.syriahr.com/2016/08/05/هجوم-عنيف-للفصائل-في-مرحلة-جديدة-من-غز/ - more Arabic for you to read

https://m.facebook.com/syriahroe/posts/913506015424404 - Syrian Obervatory's official Facebook page confirming SAA have retaken Al-Almriyah (sic)

Where are you reading they haven't started a counterattack?

Look at the date of the articles. The 5th was when fighting was still ongoing. I'm not sure who controls Amariyah now but I believe I'm correct in saying that the regime haven't launched a counterattack.
Original post by TelAviv

Btw, is your username Tel Aviv because you like the place or do you live there?
Look at the date of the articles. The 5th was when fighting was still ongoing. I'm not sure who controls Amariyah now but I believe I'm correct in saying that the regime haven't launched a counterattack.

The Arabic links, posted by the SO, include updates from more recent days. This includes today and details the fighting in SW Aleppo.

The main rebel offensive started on July 31, so the articles on SAA regaining territory posted on August 5 are still correct.

Btw, is your username Tel Aviv because you like the place or do you live there?

Used to live
I didn't say you did, but it's clear you're trying to compare the rebel groups to ISIS.

These are your exact words :

'I'm intrigued by your usage of the word 'heroes'. Where I have seen I-Soc members in the past call ISIS "the most effective" and "the bravest", there is a worrying trend for people sympathising with terrorist groups.'

The people who praised ISIS were people who considered themselves knowledgeable about Syria. ISIS weren't always designated a terrorist group originally. With Syria, the full picture is not being seen so we should show restraint, instead of praising groups as heroes.

You can rationally approach the group who are guilty of human rights abuses but you were far off the mark by calling them terrorists. Also, every single group in Syria have committed human rights abuses with the regime having the worst record and the rebels having amongst the best.

I don't deny every group most likely has caused or been involved in human rights abuses. And all human rights abuses should be revealed and criticised.

If we're going to say that we shouldn't support any group guilty of human rights abuses, we clearly shouldn't support the Communist Kurdish militias fighting ISIS. Chances are you probably support them however.

The majority of Kurds are Muslims as well. You were questioning whether I believe all Muslims are terrorists, and then assume I support Kurdish groups.

I support Kurdish self-determination, but that is a whole separate issue. I take a sympathetic stance to peoples right to self-determination, whether they are Kurds, Sahrawis, Palestinians etc.. But that is a mater in regards to what I think should take place once the war has come to an end. However, find me a post where I call a group fighting in Syria 'heroes'. You wont find me making such posts. I believe there are lesser evils in the war in Syria, but I will not sugar coat things as most groups in Syria have been involved in human rights abuses.

It's interesting that you're unable to look at the situation as a whole. Jaysh Al Fatah are a reaction to hezbollah / Iran / the regimes sectarianism. Look at the Baniyas or the Bayda massacre where hundreds Sunni civilians were butchered because the regime took some losses elsewhere.

It was sectarian in its nature from the start. If Sunnis are being targeted by a particular sect, they have every right to respond.

I'm fully aware of the Assad governments abuses. The Assad government is reacting in very much the same way it did to Sunni Muslims in the 80's in the Hama massacre. The way the government has dealt with Sunni populations in the past has been a contributing factor to the current state of Syria. But that does not justify sectarian vitriol aimed at all Shia Muslims because of what the Assad government has done.

You are justifying and encouraging sectarianism which is part of the problem, and is why I personally think Syria as we know it cannot exist in the future.

I'm not sure that's clear.

I support the right for Ahlu Sunnah in Syria to be free. I support the right for them to choose their own leaders instead of being forced to stay under an Alawite leader forced upon them. I support their right not to be oppressed and to be able to openly practice their religion.

But we know such a state would be just as oppressive and would deny others those same freedoms to practice their religion. So its just going to be one oppressive state replacing another. What about the large Shia and Christian populations who don't want to live under such an Islamic state?

It is this sectarian nature that leads me to believe a state with both Shia and Sunni Muslims is not viable. My current stance that I advocate is the redrawing of Syria's borders and creating new separate Sunni and Shia states (as well as a Kurdish state) and to give each group the freedom to elect and establish whatever form of government they wish (and though I may support their right to do that, I wont be silent and would exercise my right to criticise any such states if I disagreed with the actions).
Silly billies, Syria will balkanise into an Alawite state then some Sunni areas and Israel will keep the Golan
Original post by TelAviv
The Arabic links, posted by the SO, include updates from more recent days. This includes today and details the fighting in SW Aleppo.

The main rebel offensive started on July 31, so the articles on SAA regaining territory posted on August 5 are still correct.

Used to live

One of the SO link was posted on the 5th and the other, posted on the 9th mentions airstrikes but I can't see anything about advancing in Amariyah.

In any case, we know for sure that the rebels control most of what they captured and that the regime has not begun an actual counterattack yet. There has been claims of both parties receiving reinforcements but no heavy fighting yet.

The people who praised ISIS were people who considered themselves knowledgeable about Syria. ISIS weren't always designated a terrorist group originally. With Syria, the full picture is not being seen so we should show restraint, instead of praising groups as heroes.

ISIS before they came to Syria were ISI (Islamic state in Iraq), and I'm pretty sure ISI designated as terrorists before arriving to Syria.

How can you say we must show restraint when earlier you called the rebel groups terrorists? That's pretty far from being restrained.

I don't deny every group most likely has caused or been involved in human rights abuses. And all human rights abuses should be revealed and criticised.

That's fine.
Just for the record, I'm assuming you consider the soldiers of the British army heroes even though the army has committed human rights abuses? Would I be correct in saying that?

The majority of Kurds are Muslims as well. You were questioning whether I believe all Muslims are terrorists, and then assume I support Kurdish groups.

I support Kurdish self-determination, but that is a whole separate issue. I take a sympathetic stance to peoples right to self-determination, whether they are Kurds, Sahrawis, Palestinians etc.. But that is a mater in regards to what I think should take place once the war has come to an end. However, find me a post where I call a group fighting in Syria 'heroes'. You wont find me making such posts. I believe there are lesser evils in the war in Syria, but I will not sugar coat things as most groups in Syria have been involved in human rights abuses.

No, I wasn't questioning whether you believed all Muslims were terrorists. I questioned whether you believed all the rebel groups were terrorists.

You're entitled to believe what you want. However, to see a group of people sacrificing their lives to save 200,000 + people from starvation is the epitome of heroicness. I'm assuming you have a problem with me calling the groups heroes as opposed to the act?

Just a point to consider, there are different shades of abuses committed. If a rogue militant kills civilians for example and the group condemns and punishes the fighter, it'll still be considered a human rights abuse but it's completely different to dropping random bombs on civilians.

I'm fully aware of the Assad governments abuses. The Assad government is reacting in very much the same way it did to Sunni Muslims in the 80's in the Hama massacre. The way the government has dealt with Sunni populations in the past has been a contributing factor to the current state of Syria. But that does not justify sectarian vitriol aimed at all Shia Muslims because of what the Assad government has done.

You are justifying and encouraging sectarianism which is part of the problem, and is why I personally think Syria as we know it cannot exist in the future.

Firstly, the groups there do not put every Shia in the same category. They clearly distinguish between combatant and non-combatant as well as those supporting the government and militias.

Secondly, I'm not justifying sectarianism. You only have to look at the groups / militias / countries to see why some Muslims may have a problem with the Shia. You have Iran / Hezbollah / Iraqi militias who are all Shia, helping Bashar to indiscriminately kill people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending